Is this silly ?

P
pinstriper
DrTheopolis said:
Rented one on Devils Lake many, many years ago, possibly after a couple of barleypops too many (we had some time to kill waiting for someone).

Was all well and good until the wind kicked up. Then it became a nightmare. Of course blowing the opposite direction from the rental return.

Great. So the one scenario where these are sort of OK - a calm lake - is where you have a major fail. Oy.

P
pinstriper
Raincatcher said:
I would say it's unwise, rather than silly. There are places these boats work, mostly very calm, slow moving waters. You may want to consider a 10' driftboat, which can easily accommodate 1-2 fishing folks and is easily handled by 2 companions. Take your time making your decision, and remember, it is your decision. Whatever you decide on, make sure it's safe!

So, I'm new at this. I was under the impression that there was something...I dunno...dirty is the wrong word...but are you allowed to use a drift boat on a lake instead of to drift down a river ?

I mean, I don't want people pointing and laughing at me. Any more than already, I mean.

Plus, a drift boat on still water would involve rowing, right ?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
LOL, this is a fantastic thread..see below in bold...but bottom line, I think you want a boat with a motor. a really big boat...

pinstriper said:
Yeah, um. I wouldn't exactly list any kind of exercise, low impact or other, as a plus. Not the "always be prepared to go in the water". I actually want the boat so that I DON'T end up in the water. (big boat) And I'm fully willing to burn fuel in return for effortless movement. (big boat with a motor)

The youtube that scared hell out of me was the one where he...ends up in the water, then climbs back on, only to roll it again. And this is in freaking Australia where I'm pretty sure such things always end up with the person seeing the insides of a great white. In fact, I don't know a single person who has fallen off a kayak in Australian waters that didn't end up eaten by a shark.*

The real appeal to me of a pedal boat is:

1) Very hard to fall out of. So hard that they are widely used as rental craft in places where idiots, drunks, and kids make up the vast bulk of the clientele. most boats are very hard to fall out of, you don't fall out of a kayak or drift boat or small aluminum boat...the boat gets flipped over and you are in the water...I think you want a big boat

2) No rowing. pedaling an inefficient drive boat is more work than rowing a drift boat/paddling a kayak/canoe.../pedaling a Mirage Drive Hobie...

3) Well nigh unsinkable in calm water. unsinkable or unflippable? all the boats being discussed are unsinkable; all boats can be flipped.

4) No rowing. see 2.

5) Unlike a kayak, cannot possibly be mistaken for a seal by even the most myopic shark or orca. I didn't know you were planning to go into the ocean...a good question might be which of the boats being discussed is suitable for use in the ocean?

6) No rowing. see 2.

by far the most efficient human propulsion so far is the Hobie Mirage Drive, compared to another kayak company that sells a pedal option for their kayak with regular propeller below, the Mirage Drive is twice as efficient at turning human effort into motion...

P
pinstriper
The more expensive the boat, the easier it will be to justify putting that money into a guided trip fund instead. A $15k boat pays for a lot of guided fishing.

D
DrTheopolis
pinstriper said:
So hard that they are widely used as rental craft in places where idiots, drunks, and kids make up the vast bulk of the clientele.

I believe offensive language is prohibited on OFF.

Given my previous story, that's downright OFFensive.

I'm not a "kid." Take that back, you big jerkface.

P
pinstriper
DrTheopolis said:

I was thinking more that if it works for them, it's right up my alley !

1 nut in the water
pinstriper said:
So, I'm new at this. I was under the impression that there was something...I dunno...dirty is the wrong word...but are you allowed to use a drift boat on a lake instead of to drift down a river ?

I mean, I don't want people pointing and laughing at me. Any more than already, I mean.

Plus, a drift boat on still water would involve rowing, right ?

I have owned a driftboat for 2 years and have never had it in a (moving) river. Pontoon is much easier and I dont have to haul anyone else!
That being said it has been in numerous lakes and spent to much time in tidewater using nothing but a 50# thrust trolling motor and well, maybe once I had to row cause the batteries died........
I take it out quite often solo and it is very easy & convenient to use.

D
DrTheopolis
pinstriper said:
I was thinking more that if it works for them, it's right up my alley !

Fair enough.

But seriously -- pedal boats suck bigtime.

Get a driftboat or some such thing with a little electric.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
1 nut in the water said:
I have owned a driftboat for 2 years and have never had it in a (moving) river. Pontoon is much easier and I dont have to haul anyone else!
That being said it has been in numerous lakes and spent to much time in tidewater using nothing but a 50# thrust trolling motor and well, maybe once I had to row cause the batteries died........
I take it out quite often solo and it is very easy & convenient to use.

and here I thought 'tidewater' was the saltwater portion of a moving river..:D:D:D..last time I checked, it moves one way, then 6 hours later moves the other...:thumb:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
DrTheopolis said:

Okay, Doc, take a breath. Name calling is not necessary and is an offense according to the rules. Sheesh. :sad:

Last edited:
D
DrTheopolis
Understood. But I was quite certain he knew I was kidding around.

Reactions: pinstriper
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
DrTheopolis said:
Please accept my apology. I read it as being angry. :blushing:

D
DrTheopolis
I'm about the least angry person you could imagine.

Except of course while I'm feigning outrage.

1 nut in the water
rogerdodger said:
and here I thought 'tidewater' was the saltwater portion of a moving river..:D:D:D..last time I checked, it moves one way, then 6 hours later moves the other...:thumb:

Trolling tidewater does not count when using a motor! I just see no point in trying to work the sticks and try and fish at the same time!

D
DrTheopolis
rogerdodger said:
and here I thought 'tidewater' was the saltwater portion of a moving river.

Actually, you thought wrong.

It's the portion of the river that is hydraulically dammed by tidal influence.

Pretty sure the base of Willamette Falls isn't salt water.

Columbia in Troutdale? Not too terribly salty.

But when most of us Oregon anglers think of "tidewater," we think of the eastern parts of the coastal plain, on the lower rivers. But that's certainly not the only example.

W
wils
the city parks in L.A. used to rent those - or an older equivalent brand. cute for dates; silly for old fat guys with bad backs, though.

P
pinstriper
DrTheopolis said:

You had me at Jerkface.

P
pinstriper
wils said:
the city parks in L.A. used to rent those - or an older equivalent brand. cute for dates; silly for old fat guys with bad backs, though.

I accept this. Really I do. But I fail to see how they are sillier than a float tube. I'm not gettin' one. But I am curious and interested in an option that would be stable, cheap, self-propelled with little skill and less effort.

1 nut in the water
Pontoon!!

P
pinstriper
1 nut in the water said:
Pontoon!!

I sit corrected. Those are silly, too.

Top Bottom