Is -0.5 tide good enough for getting razor clams and cockles?

Q
quandev
Hi all,
I plan on going clamming for the first time in Newport this Sunday, July 31st.
I want to target razor clams or cockles, whatever easier to find.
My question is this Sunday, low tide will be -0.5, is that good enough to get razor clams? If yes, where can I find them?
And what about cockles and other bay clams?
Thank you.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
the low tide required to find razors depends on the location and it changes depending on how reproduction goes each year. I often dig limits at a zero tide but I keep track of the colonies of clams near me, some require lower tides, it changes year to year.

As for Newport area, I do know that the shellfish safety people often dig razor clams for testing at Agate Beach, the next most likely locations would be the beach near the north or south jetties at the mouth of the Yaquina.

Reactions: quandev
Q
quandev
Thank you Roger.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I would add that my normal approach is to hit the beach 1.5 to 2 hours below low tide and focus right at the edge of the surf, looking for 'wet donuts', 'volcanoes', and 'ant hills'. Some days the clams show early, some days later. Closer to low tide is when I might be checking back in the dry sand or out in the shallow surf. And don't overlook bumpy beach areas that I call "bumps and puddles", as the flat tops of the 'bumps' get dry, round dime size sand drops often appear, tap your foot beside one and if the sand collapses more or, even better, a squirt of water comes out, it's not a sand crab, it's a razor for sure.

Reactions: Casting Call, LazyBrewer and quandev
Q
quandev
@Roger: Super helpful information. Thanks again.

Reactions: rogerdodger