Invasive species questions

S
Spydeyrch
So, I have a few ideas stewing around in my head about felt soles, invasive species, wading boots, and cleaning of these things. :think:

Does anyone have a list or know of a list of the major invasive species that affect our waters here? I need to do some research on each of them to determine if my ideas might work.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Spydey

S
Spydeyrch
troutdude said:
This might get you started in the right direction. And there are a couple of ODFW peeps listed at the bottom. I'm sure that they'd be willing to help.

Just keep me in mind, when you "go public" with your stock options. :D

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/conservationstrategy/invasive_species.asp

Hey thanks troutdude. I have this really sweet idea (if it works) on how to clean felt soled wader boots but I need to study the invasive species that we would be cleaning, a little bit more to better prepare my idea. Wish me luck!!

-Spydey

S
sherman
What I don't get is how these invasive species get transfered? I' mean are they from unhatched eggs that would cling to your felts or your boat bottom. I understand the transfer by fishermen that use live bait in a water like Diamond lake that cause problems. I just don't get this new fee that I payed for my pontoon that gets deflated after use that doesn't have any thing clinging to it. What am I missing here?

M
Moe
The invasive species arent all fish, like there are snail and mussels and weeds too that cas just as much damage as an invasive fish does.

S
Spydeyrch
sherman said:
What I don't get is how these invasive species get transfered? I' mean are they from unhatched eggs that would cling to your felts or your boat bottom. I understand the transfer by fishermen that use live bait in a water like Diamond lake that cause problems. I just don't get this new fee that I payed for my pontoon that gets deflated after use that doesn't have any thing clinging to it. What am I missing here?

Well, from what I have gathered and know about how these animals and plants live, the animals, like the snails and the diseases like whirling disease, will have spores/eggs that won't hatch until the conditions are just right. a lot of the time they are in the silt and mud and on the rocks and when we step on them with our felts waders, they get stuck in the felt, inbetween the fibers of the felt. Then when you go to a new body of water, they become lose and infect that water and spread.

As far as boats go, muscles and plants can attach themselves, as microscopic hydras and their young form, to the hull of the boat or pontoon and then when you move it, they will infect the new waters. The spores/eggs can stay out of water for months at a time without dying. Only harsh chemicals and other extreme methods really clean them from the felt. That is where my idea comes in to play. But I have to investigate it more before I can get a good idea of if it will work or not..

-Spydey

S
sportsmanlio
Whether or not you know it, almost all of us have a waterbody within 50 miles that has one specific non-native species. It isn't a parasite, although it sucks the good fishing out of many once-storied lakes and rivers. It isn't a fish or a bug or a snail, either. It is a plant.

Hydrilla is probably the most widespread invader in Oregon. It is that nasty green weed that has a swirling shaft that grows underwater. It is used in aquariums, but it ruins fishing areas. Furthermore, idiots put into ponds and lakes, because they think it will provide better cover for bass. It does, but it quickly chokes out all native vegetation and blankets the bottom of the lake or pond.

It is horrible to see once-pristine Cascade lakes covered in this disgusting mat of vegetation. Hyatt Lake is the perfect example of this. As the hydrilla dies, it decomposes, depleting oxygen, and raising the water temperature. It then floats to the surface, causing an unsightly breeding ground for mosquitos.

Hydrilla is an unforgiving monster of a plant that destroys every ecosystem it touches. So the $5 permit fee you have to pay for you pontoon boat is just a drop in the bucket to control this nightmare, and it is worth paying it 50x over if it keeps just one lake or river or stream free of this curse.