I'm trying to give carp respect!

J
JeannaJigs
Fire roasted.

G
GDBrown
JeannaJigs said:
I once ate a goldfish. It was terrible. I imagine carp to taste the same.

But you've also bitten the head OFF of a WHAT? Carp can't be any worse than that!

Go catch one and try it, Jeanna.

J
JeannaJigs
Yeah...come to think of it, I've ate some pretty nasty things during my fishing exploits. The herring was a fundraiser lol and NEVER AGAIN. I am not gonna eat a carp or any warmwater species. I am all about the c&r ;) and I probably won't ever catch a carp, unless they hit my salmon or steelhead gear...and then I'd be to creeped out to touch it...their mouths are creepy. Bass have the same effect. I like my onchorynchus homies. Cat fish is the only exception, thats some good eats, but again, not a fan of handling...someone else can.

T
Troutier Bassier
This one time I went bass fishing and I caught 20+ good sized smallmouth in a day.
Does that mean that Bass fishing isn't a challenge?
I made 9 fishing trips to catch 1 steelhead.
Does that mean Steelhead fishing is impossible?
I went carp fishing today (check out my blog!) and was there for 3 hours and caught 1 carp... and 10 trout.

The amount of fish you catch in a day is just a number...

C
ChezJfrey
Troutier Bassier said:
I went carp fishing today (check out my blog!) and was there for 3 hours and caught 1 carp... and 10 trout.

Sounds like your carp fishing is similar to my steelhead fishing. LOL!

Reactions: brandon4455
K
Kevinb5688
Troutier Bassier said:
This one time I went bass fishing and I caught 20+ good sized smallmouth in a day.
Does that mean that Bass fishing isn't a challenge?
I made 9 fishing trips to catch 1 steelhead.
Does that mean Steelhead fishing is impossible?

The amount of fish you catch in a day is just a number...

Im glad you brought that up, heres my version.

You see 5 seelhead but can't get one to bite, are they hard fish to catch? YES
You trout fish a pond that hasnt been stocked in a while and dont get a bite, are hatchery trout hard to catch? no.
My point is i put carp in the easy category with stocked trout and bluegill.
If you dont catch carp, bluegill, or hatchery trout, your probably just not in a good spot with a lot of fish.
Now steelhead, salmon, and some other fish i consider hard. I too made 10 steelhead trips to catch an average of one a day, even though i could see them coming up the river and cast at them, there a hard fish to catch and you will never have 40 fish days. But as for carp and bluegill, get in a decent spot and it is "easy" to catch 40 a day. Thats basically what i was thinking when i wrote this post.

Reactions: JeannaJigs
T
Troutier Bassier
It's not that carp are a hard fish to catch, they can be, I'm just trying to say that it shouldn't really matter how many fish you have caught in one day (unless you're in a tournament or something) but what really should matter is how much you enjoyed the trip.
When I go fishing, It's not the fish I'm after. ;)

K
Kevinb5688
Troutier Bassier said:
It's not that carp are a hard fish to catch, they can be, I'm just trying to say that it shouldn't really matter how many fish you have caught in one day (unless you're in a tournament or something) but what really should matter is how much you enjoyed the trip.
When I go fishing, It's not the fish I'm after. ;)
Yes that is very true, but it sure does help on the fun scale if your catching fish.;) but some of the best stories that come up at get togethers are of fishless days where something went wrong. Its always the one that got away you remember.

O
OnTheFly
RunWithSasquatch said:
YouTube - How to Clean a Common Carp

I recommend waiting around until he goes to cut the ribcage, if you can stomach it.
That's sickening. I was just about to turn it off about the time they suggested the green pasty egg sack was good when fried. When I heard a different sound above the music I looked further only to witness the use of an electric disc grinder being used in the filleting process. Oh Why don't we have a puking Smiley.:protest:

G
GDBrown
I'm sure glad I watched that between meals... Now I know how to clean a carp.... Take one large heavy plastic bag, deposit whole carp in bag, when full deposit the contents bag in garbage can of the neighbor you like the least the day after his garbage is picked up. Do it at night so he doesn't know who did it!

How far do you think the Asian carp has spread from the Mississippi river now?

Reactions: JeannaJigs
J
JeannaJigs
K
Kevinb5688
That video looked just wrong!
Well iam going to catch some carp again in a few minutes. I will take pictures this time and post them. I was going to be brave and eat one, but not after that video. Looked nasty!!

C
capblack
i can see why some people like to eat carp. yum yum!!!

R
RunWithSasquatch
capblack said:
i can see why some people like to eat carp. yum yum!!!

Thank you for giving them the respect they diserve.:clap:

K
Kevinb5688
Well went to my spot and it was packed wirh people, i did tell a lot of O.F.F. Fisherman about it so if you were there hope u did well!!!!
I went bass fishing since that spot was packed. Cought a few nice fish though so im happy, i love seeing those 5+ pounders swim back to their beds.

C
capblack
wheres all the pics you promised? :(

K
Kevinb5688
capblack said:
wheres all the pics you promised? :(

If you want pics of bass i got them, as i said... I went to my carp spot and for the first time there was a car full of people fishing there, so i hit a bass pond down the road and didn't fish for carp. I am going to try again in a few day, i am laid off of work so weekdays no one should be there.

brandon4455
brandon4455
i would never go through so much just to eat a fish..that took forever for him to clean.. why do that when you can catch somthing that actually looks and tastes good at the same time and clean it in half the time too LOL!

R
RunWithSasquatch
It looked tasty to me, even came with split pea soup in its belly. errr something