I hate fiberglass

J
JeannaJigs
So I think I fixed my boat today. Time will tell when I test it, whether or not i sealed it. Seems like I did. It's crude, at best...but it's on the bottom so thankfully it's not visible lol. All I can say is it wasn't terribly difficult but the stuff is evil. I was high all afternoon and that's WITH a respirator. The fumes clung to my clothes something fierce!

However upon a detailed inspection of the rest of the bottom, I've decided it's in need of a complete restoration soon. It'll survive some winter trips but before summer it needs work. My question is does anyone know or recommend anyone to take it to? I want it done right and don't want to tackle that myself.

T
TTFishon
If you want I can ask a guy I know through work that either can do it himself or knows someone that can. I only know him from work but he's an honest person and he has the experience.

J
JeannaJigs
That would be great. I can't get it fixed for another 6 months or so due to finances and need to use it this winter, but come spring want to get it done, so thought I'd ask for input early. I was thinkin' of just getting a new boat, but, I'm in love with the way my boat handles, and we haven't even had our one year anniversary yet! so I can't give up on it yet lol. Basically needs a complete restoration of the bottom, and some work on worn spots of the interior, and paint, and will be new. I can do the paint. Just am completely done with the DIY fiberglass nastiness lol.

M
Mike123
Ehhh... this sucks.. I know someone in Lebanon who might do it for either real cheap or free.

J
JeannaJigs
Cheap or free would be nice It'll be good for some winter trips but definitely needs some tlc before summer

S
SantiamDrifter
Don the retired owner of SantiamDrifter. Although he's retired he still does some work. A friend got some work done 2 years back. Great quality work.

G
GDBrown

The trick to fixing the bottom is to turn the boat upside down FIRST. LOL

Next time leave the doors open and put a big A@# fan blowing the fumes out the door.

GD

F
fishnquest
Fiberglass is nasty stuff to work with. I have a 12ft fiberglass boat I've been working on for a couple years now. I always have to get myself mentally prepared to go work on it. So much prep time and clean-up after and I'm not so patient with either of those tasks. But I do like trying to improve my skills. It'll be a good tough boat when I'm done.