I feel like giving up. Plz help.

S
SquidHC
Hello all,

I have been reading all day today, and as you can see this is my first time posting on your site. I have had the opportunity to catch a handful of bass in my life, and focused on them hard all of last year. So here's the problem... I caught 3 smallies last year. That's it. I spent probably around 20 fishless days doing everything I could think of to catch a dang bass. I don't know if I'm cursed, or if I'm just plain dumb, but man I can't catch em. I am shore fishing for now (though I just purchased a small fixer boat!!!). I have spent countless time reading techniques, and have been a successful trout/salmon/steelhead fisherman for years.

So heres what I am looking for I guess. I need somewhere to go that any idiot could catch some bass. I live in Clackamas, so somewhere within an hour or so would be nice. Now I know nothing is ever a guarantee, but I'm just so bummed out and fed up and really need a boost. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should go next?

Thanks for your time and consideration.

C
catfishman89
Clackamette park is a great spot. Or the east bank esplanade downtown. The willamette fishes a lot better from shore in about june or late may. Try fishing early and in the evening and shade during the day. Cloudy days are better to. Drag texas rigged 3 inch senkos on the bottom. Dont fish on sand or muddy areas. Look for rocks and fish the down current side or right in the current. Pretty much any rocky area on the willamette has bass you ju st have to get them to bite. Use 1/32 to 1/64 oz of weight on the senko.

R
rl206
That's how I felt all of 2010 pretty much, my buddy would go out and rope em and call me on the water and I would not have a single fish yet.
I went MANY times out and got nothing or maybe an occasional dink, don't give up.
Like mentioned above senko's are a good self asteem bait. Try throwing weedless and weightless, they helped me a lot.
Don't think of it as you're and idiot, think of it as ruling out ways not to catch them.
If you have some time, and are really dedicated, I suggest this...
Pick a lake/pond/body of water you know has fish, pick a stretch of shoreline that has a few features whether it be rock then grass or dropoff's etc. and if you don't get bit, you what they don't want, keep fishing it until you get bit, fish have to eat, if you present the right meal/tactic in front of their mouth they will eat it.
Try throwing reaction baits first, try to find the most active pods of fish first then work your way to hunger baits like jigs/ creature baits and so on...
Just don't give up bud

J
JeannaJigs
I've only fished for bass intentionally twice, but I'm a firm believer that they are mystical creatures. They're basically just ugly unicorns.

Good luck chasing those ditch picklecorns!

T
TTFishon
JeannaJigs said:
I've only fished for bass intentionally twice, but I'm a firm believer that they are mystical creatures. They're basically just ugly unicorns.

Good luck chasing those ditch picklecorns!

I think that's about to change for you.

T
tomriker
J
JeannaJigs
Haha we will see! If anyone can get skunked there, it will be me. Who knows though, just might get my ditch picklecorn. Will let ya know how that goes lol

T
TTFishon
Well, if it means anything, I got skunked yesterday at Dave's back pond. Only made about 10 casts though. lol

Sorry for the hijack Squid.

P
PARTYBOY
are you fishing for large or small mouth? For small mouth i have had great luck with curly tail grubs, tubes or Yamamoto Baby Craws...the smallies love em...for large mouth i usually use a 5in or 6in yamamoto senko texas rigged or original floating rapalla in a bright color and either jerk across the top of water or slow roll it in...I hope this helps its my go to...i usually have a 3-5 fish day when i use these

S
Sage_Flyguy
My advice , wait until the middle of July and head to the Umpqua or John Day. The small mouth fishing there is ridiculous , I have only fished the John Day but from what I hear both rivers are in the top 10 for the US as small mouth fisheries. When I say every cast , I literally mean every cast you are hooking or missing a fish. Our best day on the John Day that we kept track of between the 4 of us we had landed 233 or 235 fishand probably missed just as many.

S
SquidHC
Thanks for all the encouragement! I will try at Clackamette park soon, and man I'd love to hit up that John Day action!

J
joem
umpqua is crazy. you get a drift boat and just drift along the edge and you can see them layin in there, they bite everything. last year my friend got a 22.5 in 5 lb smallie out of there.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Id stick with senko type of worms. Texas rigged if there are lots of weeds, and wacky rigged if there isn't much weeds. Cast out and watch your line, most of the time the bass will take it on the initial fall so make sure your paying attention right after you cast.

J
JeannaJigs
Throbbit _Shane said:
Id stick with senko type of worms. Texas rigged if there are lots of weeds, and wacky rigged if there isn't much weeds. Cast out and watch your line, most of the time the bass will take it on the initial fall so make sure your paying attention right after you cast.

HOLY CRAP BATMAN! You're still alive! Good to see you posting again!