Humboldt squid on Oregon beaches

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Just read a report that several squid have been reported to be on the beach at Heceta Head on the central Oregon coast. Are these ucky things good for bait for anything? :think: Would it be worth a coast trip for anyone to collect some and freeze them? No,not for me,for any of you?! :naughty: I have a weak gag reflex. :confused:

F
FishSchooler
Raincatcher said:
Just read a report that several squid have been reported to be on the beach at Heceta Head on the central Oregon coast. Are these ucky things good for bait for anything? :think: Would it be worth a coast trip for anyone to collect some and freeze them? No,not for me,for any of you?! :naughty: I have a weak gag reflex. :confused:

Mmmmm squid... yum :cool:

I bet anything in the ocean will eat one...
I wouldnt go to the coast just for squid. You can just go to costco or some asian food market and get several pounds for a cheap price.

O
osmosis
humbolt squid are fantastic table fare. do you like calamari? Imagine giant STEAKS of it..

They can get to be very large and you can catch them on sport gear.
I wouldnt walk the beach and pick up dead ones, but every one we land while bottom fishing gets kept and eaten thats for sure.

P
plucas
It's just a bummer that Humboldt squid prefer warm water temperature (they usually swim between 600-100ft down from the ocean surface). As most of you know Oregon coast waters are typically a lot colder than Southern Cali and Mexican waters and should not be seeing such a large population of these squid. There is 2 known factors causing this behavior, overfishing and therefore a lack of its natural predators as well as global warming contributing to a rise in ocean waters. The squid are known to be capable of adapting to temperature variations is sea water.

These squid are enormous and will eat pretty much anything (including each other) they encounter, Salmon included. One thing scientists agree on is the Humboldt squid is perfectly adaptable to climate change. Some biologist have even gone so far as to predict the Humboldt squid may be the only coastal fishery left in California if not brought under control.

A
Anyfishisfine
Catching squid is fun. They are very aggressive.