Huge Umpqua Steelhead

A
Anyfishisfine
eat said:
That's not exactly true. While a good percentage of female steelhead make repeat spawning runs, only a very very small percentage of males do. Most males use all their energy to spawn with multiple females.

Guys are like that.

Epic fish.

R
RunWithSasquatch
One other thing that doesn't add up is how hes holding it, its hard enough hold a 10lb dead fish like that, throw one in that appears to be extremely top heavy and supposedly very much alive...

S
Sgrunig90
RunWithSasquatch said:
One other thing that doesn't add up is how hes holding it, its hard enough hold a 10lb dead fish like that, throw one in that appears to be extremely top heavy and supposedly very much alive...

Agreed...

E
eat, sleep, fish
Modest_Man said:
I see no signs of photoshop, the guy is just holding it funny. He's got his arms bent 90 degrees at the elbows (probably since that thing weighs a ton...). First if you don't have a photo now-a-days people don't believe it, then you DO have a photo and people yell Photoshop.

Next time I catch a nice fish I'll have it fin me a statement about itself, but then people will probably just want it notarized. :(

It's definitely a very big fish, it's also just a very weird picture. Just how he's holding it throws off the whole picture. Holding it close to his body would make for a much better picture imo, and still would have shown off how big it was. There's no need to exaggerate with a fish that large.

T
Thuggin4Life
I'll take my hook back now thanks. still can't believe i lost that fish after 30 minutes and 3 times at the bank. Ah the umpqua......

N
nativefish
Thats a wall mount if i have ever seen one, regardless if its 26 lbs or not still looks huge.

B
BlackBass
Hope you guys never catch a monster steelhead, so that people do not talk crap about your fish. That fish is clearly bigger then any other steelhead posted on several PNW boards. And yet you guys cry about how the fish is held. If you cannot hold 2.6 gallons of milk at arms length then I suggest you guys get some excersize . Clearly some jealousy going on here. You can tell by the head of the fish its clearly over 20 and bigger then any other 20 lb fish caught in recent years. I say 26 no problem.

After looking at the fish again I think the haters are completely NUTS. That fish is HUGE look at the fork on the tail prob ten inches or more. Look at the girth on that thing probably more then 24 inch girth . MONSTER fish

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Agreed. It was good enough for the newspaper to print. And a good reporter verifies and double checks his/her data, to make sure that nothing is hokey.

T
Thuggin4Life
Oh yeah by the way that is monster steel. Really wish i would have landed the one i was lucky enough to get a hook into last winter after 3 winters in a row in search of the mythical monster steel. Too bad about the pose though. fish was big enough already to try to do the arm strectch to make it look even bigger.

S
steelhead_slayer
OMG!!!:shock:

B
BlackBass
I dont see an arm stretch I see a guy trying not to bear hug a stealhead for a picture. His arms are at a 90 degree angle holding a monster fish. I really do not understand why people would critisize the largest steelhead they have ever seen. Bottome line I have been fishing steelhead for 20 years and have seen thousands. NEVER HAVE I SAW ONE THIS BIG. take a look around the internet and post 5 fish that are bigger caught in recent years. have fun

G
GoldFishSlayer
BlackBass said:
I dont see an arm stretch I see a guy trying not to bear hug a stealhead for a picture. His arms are at a 90 degree angle holding a monster fish. I really do not understand why people would critisize the largest steelhead they have ever seen. Bottome line I have been fishing steelhead for 20 years and have seen thousands. NEVER HAVE I SAW ONE THIS BIG. take a look around the internet and post 5 fish that are bigger caught in recent years. have fun

here are few for your request... I only looked for 5 minutes I am not bashing this fish its huge but they are out there you just dont see them every day but 20 lb class fish are caught in oregon and washington every year I dont recall a year in my fishing where I didn't see a picture or hear of at least one 20 plus caught

R
RunWithSasquatch
BlackBass said:
NEVER HAVE I SAW ONE THIS BIG.

Its a big fish, but someones 26lber that was likely weighed through dimensions, instead of being scaled, and I am sure things were fudged, is nothing to stand guard and cream your pants over. Fallow Ifish for a season, and you'll see several fish in this class in one year that never make the paper:shock:

T
Thuggin4Life
22lb steel from the same system. guy admits to doing the arm stretch. 3 seasons ago. not as big as the featured fish but still another hog and imo a way nicer fish. not much for the green steelhead. i like em right out the salt. not trying to bash the guy but he did the "classic half stretch"

IMG_2795.jpg

17lber from the same system last season.

DSCI2986.jpg

COme on now when your arms are at a 90* angle it puts the fish a good about 2' out from the body messing with size relativity and whatnot. STILL A VERY NICE 26LB UMPQUA STEELHOG!!!

and one of our members got a nice 20+ lber last season he didn't do the arm stretch. because he is a big guy like my 2 buddies here i thought it was smaller. thinkin halfthrive or something?

Last edited:
B
BlackBass
Always going to be haters. You guys can worry about it all you want Im going springer fishing.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Nice fish T4L, I think I remember them from your post. Freshin's

M
Modest_Man
If you're arms are 2' long from your elbow to your palm you must be like 8' tall. I agree with BlackBass.

E
eat, sleep, fish
BlackBass said:
Hope you guys never catch a monster steelhead, so that people do not talk crap about your fish. That fish is clearly bigger then any other steelhead posted on several PNW boards. And yet you guys cry about how the fish is held. If you cannot hold 2.6 gallons of milk at arms length then I suggest you guys get some excersize . Clearly some jealousy going on here. You can tell by the head of the fish its clearly over 20 and bigger then any other 20 lb fish caught in recent years. I say 26 no problem.

After looking at the fish again I think the haters are completely NUTS. That fish is HUGE look at the fork on the tail prob ten inches or more. Look at the girth on that thing probably more then 24 inch girth . MONSTER fish

I just looked back through this thread and only found 1 post that said they thought it was photoshopped. Everybody agrees that it was definitely a big fish, just held at a weird angle. It's definitely a fish of a life time for the large majority of steelheaders.

That being said...There's never a reason to long arm fish for a photo (especially one that large). They'll look plenty big in a normal pose, and you can still make them look bigger than they actually are.

R
RunWithSasquatch
I also believe the Ifish thread a guy chimed in that said he knew the guy who caught it, and said that hes 4'2'' tall, maybe thats added to some of the dismay:lol:

B
BlackBass
eat said:
I just looked back through this thread and only found 1 post that said they thought it was photoshopped. Everybody agrees that it was definitely a big fish, just held at a weird angle. It's definitely a fish of a life time for the large majority of steelheaders.

That being said...There's never a reason to long arm fish for a photo (especially one that large). They'll look plenty big in a normal pose, and you can still make them look bigger than they actually are.

Next time you hold a monster fish make sure you bear hug it. So that people do not claim your long arming it. The guy is said to be 106 lbs and 4' tall. So there it is . Sometimes its easier to say nice fish and not be skeptical