How to eat bear meat

C
cookshot
cooked some up the other day as strips after marinating them in brown sugar and salt, and it was GOOD! Going to try some of those recipes next week, Ill report back.

B
bd2cool
Here is a few tips on bear meat-
As with pork skin and cool the meat as fast as possible!!!!!
Bear meat will go bad much fast then deer or elk.
Even if it doesn't go bad the meat will get a strong gamely taste if it get too warm.
When cutting the meat up -clean it as best as you can-no fat, no tendon ends, if it not red meat get rid of it.
Bear fat will be very good if their diet is mostly berries but if you not sure of their eating habits get rid of it.
Nuts can make bear fat bitter and strong in taste and smell.
Fish will also make it strong tasting.
When I clean my bear I get the meat as lean as I can.
If some one has tried bear meat and hated it ask them if the meat was lean.
I am willing to bet it wasn't.

For bear hamburger- add beef fat to the grind-it is pretty good.

FRIED BEAR STEAK

BEAR STEAK
Salt
Pepper
Celery salt
Garlic powder
1/2 green pepper
1 med. onion
1 can mushrooms
Oil
Whole milk

Cut meat into 1/2 inch strips or pieces. Cover with milk, let set for 1/2 hour or more at room temperature. Heat frying pan, then coat bottom of pan with oil, place meat in pan. Then salt, pepper, celery salt, and garlic powder to taste. Add green pepper, onion, and mushrooms and juice. Cover and cook until meat is done. Stir once in a while. If moisture is about gone, add water or milk.

When meat is done, brown, stir all the time so meat doesn't burn. Serve with potatoes.

C
cookshot
Thanks for the advice. It was pretty lean to begin with so I didn't have to trim a whole lot of fat off. I'm not sure what he was eating, there were not a ton of berries out yet, like I said earlier, I think he was pretty fresh out of hibernation. The steak sounds good, I'll try that for sure!