How to dead drift nymphs

S
Sinkline
.
 
Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
Brian is a great fly fisherman. If anyone ever needs a guide pretty much anywhere in Western Oregon, you should consider him.

Thanks for posting the vid bigsteel. I was just watching vids off his youtube channel over the weekend.
 
  • Like
Reactions: waco
brandon4455
brandon4455
i watch a lot of brian's videos and they have helped me hook steelhead on the fly. dead drifting nymph n egg patterns is killer on smaller coastal streams..and man that stack mend is awesome
 
F
fisherwilly
Thanks for sharing. That is the situation I have the most trouble dead drifting through. The fast water close to you and perfect speed water on the other side of the river. Nice to see other people's techniques.
 
  • Like
Reactions: waco
L
lilsalmon
Wow....that is impressive. I wish I could cast like that. And, yes, he is an excellent guide.
 
T
the_intimidator03
I must learn the ways of the wise LOL
 
  • Like
Reactions: waco
Y
youngbuck307
man tell the guy to put a couple of splits on his line and loss the indicator bet he would hook more fish lmao DONT KILL ME GUYS JK JK
 
B
bigsteel
youngbuck307 said:
man tell the guy to put a couple of splits on his line and loss the indicator bet he would hook more fish lmao DONT KILL ME GUYS JK JK

LOL Brians not into dredging flies with splitshot or chunks of pencil lead.he catches more steelhead then most people.
 
G
GDBrown
Is it just me or was he really at water level? I thought it looked like he was a couple yards above the water on a ledge. At any rate I'm impressed with the stack mending and how close he was to the far side of the river with his drift. I would be in the trees on my first backcast! :lol:
 
brandon4455
brandon4455
youngbuck307 said:
man tell the guy to put a couple of splits on his line and loss the indicator bet he would hook more fish lmao DONT KILL ME GUYS JK JK

egg pattern and split shot works but i ditched it for the indicator and double egg pattern rig and hooked just as many fish. i can see where you are coming from though,it is effective. i chucked lead on the fly rod for a while but it just didn't feel right to me.
 
Y
youngbuck307
lol brandon if your picking up just as many fish then your probaly fishing the same water with that indicator as you were with lead... I will take my indicator off on fish that wont hit add a couple of split to slow down my flys and get fish to bite on the same thing just different speed also you can't hit some water and get in the zone with your indicator..... like in that video see how he is fishing that far side... what would he do if a fish was up a lil higher in the run and in that current? be hard to get that nymph down with the indicator....

I indicator fish a lot to now and concider it fly fishing otherwise im just drift fishing my fly rod
 
B
bigsteel
youngbuck307 said:
lol brandon if your picking up just as many fish then your probaly fishing the same water with that indicator as you were with lead... I will take my indicator off on fish that wont hit add a couple of split to slow down my flys and get fish to bite on the same thing just different speed also you can't hit some water and get in the zone with your indicator..... like in that video see how he is fishing that far side... what would he do if a fish was up a lil higher in the run and in that current? be hard to get that nymph down with the indicator....

I indicator fish a lot to now and concider it fly fishing otherwise im just drift fishing my fly rod

he has caught 100s of fish out of that same hole with no lead no split shot,just weighted flies and an indicator.Its all about mending,which is why in the video he is stack mending so his flies can drop in the zone before they even take off.
 
brandon4455
brandon4455
youngbuck307 said:
lol brandon if your picking up just as many fish then your probaly fishing the same water with that indicator as you were with lead... I will take my indicator off on fish that wont hit add a couple of split to slow down my flys and get fish to bite on the same thing just different speed also you can't hit some water and get in the zone with your indicator..... like in that video see how he is fishing that far side... what would he do if a fish was up a lil higher in the run and in that current? be hard to get that nymph down with the indicator....

I indicator fish a lot to now and concider it fly fishing otherwise im just drift fishing my fly rod

The thing i like better about fishing indicators is you snag up less,it's easier to cast and tell if you have a bite i do know a lot of people that use 1-3 split shot and 1 egg pattern because it works for them. it's all just personal preference i think But i guess like you pointed out there are certain situations where one works better then the other. another thing that determines what you catch fish with is confidence, it is a big factor. when i first started fly fishing steel i had trouble sticking to one type of fly/technique and i was wasting my time by constantly changing the type of water i fish and what i was fishing with. And once i started hooking them with the indicator rig i threw everything else out the window :lol:
 
Y
youngbuck307
brandon4455 said:
The thing i like better about fishing indicators is you snag up less,it's easier to cast and tell if you have a bite i do know a lot of people that use 1-3 split shot and 1 egg pattern because it works for them. it's all just personal preference i think But i guess like you pointed out there are certain situations where one works better then the other. another thing that determines what you catch fish with is confidence, it is a big factor. when i first started fly fishing steel i had trouble sticking to one type of fly/technique and i was wasting my time by constantly changing the type of water i fish and what i was fishing with. And once i started hooking them with the indicator rig i threw everything else out the window :lol:

yea brandon i did the change 500 times a day thing to when i first started with my gear stuff then i hooked up bobber fishing and was stuck on it for a while. wait till u land 100 fish or so on indicators and can do it all the time then its fun to change things just to see if you can. Only reason i will change how i fish now is that one way works better than others..

and I understand this bigsteel but dont try and say you can hit Every spot in a river EFFECTIVLY with only a waighted fly and mending?
 
B
bigsteel
youngbuck307 said:
yea brandon i did the change 500 times a day thing to when i first started with my gear stuff then i hooked up bobber fishing and was stuck on it for a while. wait till u land 100 fish or so on indicators and can do it all the time then its fun to change things just to see if you can. Only reason i will change how i fish now is that one way works better than others..

and I understand this bigsteel but dont try and say you can hit Every spot in a river EFFECTIVLY with only a waighted fly and mending?

you ABSOLUTELY can,a GOOD flyfishermen can get his flies where he wants when he wants,i have flies that weigh more then a couple splitshot and would drop in the zone faster then a split shot.not every piece of water is condusive for flyfishing,flyfishers typically dont fish the same kind of water as gear fishermen.if all your doing is adding more and more shot then your not flyfishing your drift fishing with a fly rod,or duck and chuck fishing.
 
G
GDBrown
bigsteel said:
.....flyfishers typically dont fish the same kind of water as gear fishermen......

Is that my Problem!!!

I'm usually in the trees either way! :lol:
 
B
bigsteel
GDBrown said:
Is that my Problem!!!

I'm usually in the trees either way! :lol:

I hear ya gene,the trees are our friends
 
Y
youngbuck307
witch is what i said in the bottom of one of my post indicator fishing i concider fly fishing otherwise im just drift fishing my fly rod and u just said a flyfishers typically dont fish same kind of water.... why is that? you can't do it effectivly without some kind of lead! I was telling brandon not just to think his indicator is picking up every fish he would if he was tossing lead because in some sopts its only thing that works in others you could run both other just a indicator with fish it properly! thers a place for everything if you dont think so then your missing out on fish! Witch is fine by me. Like silver fishing in ak i can hook 10 to 1 on my gear over a fly rod.... but i toss my fly rod because rather fight one on that then 10 on my gear.
 
Y
youngbuck307
we have a banna trouphy in ak for people who like to fish for monkeys! :lol: I should of won it this year
 

Similar threads

jamisonace
Replies
16
Views
1K
Artwo
Artwo
jamisonace
Replies
15
Views
2K
C_Run
C_Run
The Guides Forecast
2 3
Replies
47
Views
10K
The Guides Forecast
The Guides Forecast
bass
Replies
7
Views
1K
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
BadTaco6
Replies
17
Views
1K
Itsahobby
I
Top Bottom