How do you "Drift"?

T
Troutier Bassier
I was woundering how to drift cause i want to start drifting for species like Bass, Steelhead Salmon, Trout, Walleye, Pikeminnow.
When someone says drifting i think of about 40 different rigs. So can anyone help me on how to drift BAIT! thanks

B
beaverfan
I'm no expert but I rig like this. I tie a snap swivel to my mainline, then I tie about 1.5-3ft leader to the other end of the swivel itself so that the snap is hanging down freely. Then I take my slinky weight and clip it onto the snap.

T
Troutier Bassier
ok, but then what do u do next???

I
I Grade
I am a intermediate level drift fisherman. I tend to rig in much the same way as the beaverfan, but I prefer to use 3/16" pencil lead and just crimp it onto my leader tag after I tie it on. If the weight catches on bottom you can still save the rig and just crimp on more weight. I also tend to use about a 3' leader when its low and clear. I switch to 2' when its high and dirty. Some people swear by a 10' leader, but I don't have any first hand knowledge of that :D. I would also advise that you not bother trying to catch bass drifting. I have never accidentally hooked one while drifting for salmonids. They prefer lures in my experience. Also, this time of year its more fun to fish for salmonids using hardware. Spinners are a BLAST during the warmer months. I love drifting in the cooler months, but spring and summer are all about spinners for me!

I Grade

T
Troutier Bassier
Thanks!
I undertsand what to do now. How do you drift spinners??? Same way???
And what do you do after your drift has ended?? do you catch fish when you reel in???

I
I Grade
As far as catching while drifting. Here in my home stream (Clack) I ususally find that at the far end of a drift you will either feel it stop like it is snagged and then you would drive the hook home, or in the middle of a drift you will feel a short tug and then some head shakes and sharp movement (hatchery steelhead) or perhaps a suspicious stop and then a run like a bull (nooks and trophy steel). As far as spinners are concerned, its an entirely different mindset that you have to get into. You MUST learn to read water correctly to catch them on spinners or you might as well cast into your bathtub. You want to hug then bottom and present the spinner as slow as you can while keeping the blade moving. If the blade isn't moving, you aren't fishing. If you don't feel the blade tap a rock here and there, you aren't fishing. Lastly, if you aren't losing at least SOME gear as a beginner...you aren't fishing the spinner right. Read the book by Jed Davis "Spinners for steelhead, salmon, and trout". It was the book that inspired me to learn the complex art of spinner fishing. I read the book and the next week I was into my first nook. It was awesome. They hit a spinner like it called their mom a nasty name...An unmistakable bite. If you miss the strike then you arent paying ANY attention. Good luck!

I Grade

M
mgdguy
Love all the spinner advice!! I'm going to master it by the end of the summer :D :D :D