How dark is "too dark"?

C
carl hungis
FishFinger said:
There are fish in Idaho.... Just palmer a brown saddle hackle around a new potato add a splash of crystal flash.....

edit..right
Good one:lol:

K
Kodiak
Clearwater

Clearwater

The clearwater gets a great run of BIG steelies and smaller springers. Most of the guys I know that make the journey and do well throw jigs. Right now you will be in the middle of the "aluminum hatch". The river gets clogged with boats. They die off around mid january I think and the fishing from the bank gets better.
Good Luck

Troutski
Troutski
Kodiak said:
The clearwater gets a great run of BIG steelies and smaller springers. Most of the guys I know that make the journey and do well throw jigs. Right now you will be in the middle of the "aluminum hatch". The river gets clogged with boats. They die off around mid january I think and the fishing from the bank gets better.
Good Luck

Pretty funny stuff...:cool:

Chuck

C
carl hungis
Kodiak said:
Good Luck

Thanks, I'll have to check it out

F
Fishtopher
Clearwater!

Clearwater!

:think:I saw a fishing show a few weeks back and they were just slammin steele, cast after cast! Sounds crazy up there!

K
Kodiak
Other rivers too.

Other rivers too.

I have some buddies that drive over from Montana to hit 'em. They hit some fish on the Lockshaw and a couple of others. It's pretty much the reason they ding the springer run so hard for us down here. Idaho's fish and game is rabid about getting "thier" fish. The guys up there fish 'em like in some people I saw in Cali a few years ago, a clump of eggs the size of your fist with a corky big enough to float a battle ship, and they wonder why they have a hard time getting into fish!!!LOL. I went with them a couple of times and they quit taking me. I started fishing corky and yarn sizes like we do for summer fish and was hitting about three to thier 1. :lol::cool:

Troutski
Troutski
Finesse' fishing...

Finesse' fishing...

Kodiak said:
I have some buddies that drive over from Montana to hit 'em. They hit some fish on the Lockshaw and a couple of others. It's pretty much the reason they ding the springer run so hard for us down here. Idaho's fish and game is rabid about getting "thier" fish. The guys up there fish 'em like in some people I saw in Cali a few years ago, a clump of eggs the size of your fist with a corky big enough to float a battle ship, and they wonder why they have a hard time getting into fish!!!LOL. I went with them a couple of times and they quit taking me. I started fishing corky and yarn sizes like we do for summer fish and was hitting about three to thier 1. :lol::cool:

Finesse' fishing.....gotta love it.

Chuck

F
fish_4_all
Finess is the only way I fish here. Small egg clusters year round. Summer run with now wieght and an egg cluster the size of a big marble or a split shot and sand shrimp. Winters with a small red cheater about the size of a marble with an equal sizes piece of shrimp/prawn or eggs.

Make them fight for it instead of giving them more than they can chew!

Troutski
Troutski
True...

True...

fish_4_all said:
Finess is the only way I fish here. Small egg clusters year round. Summer run with now wieght and an egg cluster the size of a big marble or a split shot and sand shrimp. Winters with a small red cheater about the size of a marble with an equal sizes piece of shrimp/prawn or eggs.

Make them fight for it instead of giving them more than they can chew!

So much truth.....ever catch a Steelie with a tip of a crawler and a split shot ? I can feel my pulse starting to quicken....;)

Chuck

Irishrover
Irishrover
I hope this picture come out OK I've been trying to post them from the start of the thread. One is a Tuli chinook fresh from the ocean caught near the sawdust pile out of warrenton. It looks dark but had a ton of fight and pink meant. The other for contrast are ocean fresh silvers bright as can be with an almost bright orange meat. They were caught just south of the CR bouy. By the time those silvers make it there hatcheries they will be looking a little different. PS Troutski it worked this time;)

Last edited:
P
phish-on
I was on the wilson a couple of weeks ago and this asian guy was using egg clusters the size of a softball and yarn about 6" long. he must of went through about 5lbs of eggs in about 2.5 hours.
even i knew all he was doing was feeding the fish.

K
Kodiak
little bitty

little bitty

I fish little for everything except fall chinook low in the tidewater. my favorite rig is the smallest corky they make (I can't remeber the size) and yarn on a #4 owner, I push the corky down over the eye of the hook after I have put on my yarn. It shortens the length of my rig and almost makes it look like a little jig and helps hide the hook. I've gotten so bad about trying to hide hooks I started paintin' em. Thinking about painting the hooks on my spinners and see if it helps me hook more fish.:think:

P
phish-on
Kodiak said:
I fish little for everything except fall chinook low in the tidewater. my favorite rig is the smallest corky they make (I can't remeber the size) and yarn on a #4 owner, I push the corky down over the eye of the hook after I have put on my yarn. It shortens the length of my rig and almost makes it look like a little jig and helps hide the hook. I've gotten so bad about trying to hide hooks I started paintin' em. Thinking about painting the hooks on my spinners and see if it helps me hook more fish.:think:

does that method catch fish though;)
after watching a 30lb nook come within the blind spot of my hook, i started using a black marker.

C
carl hungis
phish-on said:
I was on the wilson a couple of weeks ago and this asian guy was using egg clusters the size of a softball and yarn about 6" long. he must of went through about 5lbs of eggs in about 2.5 hours.
even i knew all he was doing was feeding the fish.

Big bait is the ticket for fall fish. That said, it sound like overkill! In tide water, I use a lager bait: eggs, shrimp, sardine strip (altogether should amount to between a golf ball and tennis ball.

River(me and my bro's fav) scale down to golf ball size + scent.

F
Fishtopher
carl hungis said:
Big bait is the ticket for fall fish. That said, it sound like overkill! In tide water, I use a lager bait: eggs, shrimp, sardine strip (altogether should amount to between a golf ball and tennis ball.

Carl, I had no idea...all this time I have been tossing a meager offering...fish must have been laughing at my cherry size offerings...kinda like Charlie Brown's Christmas Tree:lol::shock::lol:...but I never have been a big roe guy! Never been a big coastal guy though either...heck Im just not a big guy...ok lame. Sorry.
Now Im guessing your talking sandshrimp, is that really considered larger? Do you use tha whole thing, or just the tail? Any time I use them or crayfish, I usually end up fishing them both ways, starting tail first.
And do you have a reason for fishing sardine over anchovie?
Sorry for the ? barrage, but Im never any good down in tide water, I gotta get up in elevation a lil'!:D
Thanks...

T
tnffishman
I was up on the wilson on thanksgiving weekend and was usin small corkies and yarn up real high on the river. My dad and i hooked and lost two dark and huge chinook, but landed two dark coho:think:, both natives so they went back in, can you keep coho on the wilson this time of year. remember it WAS in november

F
Fishtopher
tnffishman said:
I was up on the wilson on thanksgiving weekend and was usin small corkies and yarn up real high on the river. My dad and i hooked and lost two dark and huge chinook, but landed two dark coho:think:, both natives so they went back in, can you keep coho on the wilson this time of year. remember it WAS in november

Regs read: adipose clipped, Aug 1st-Oct 31st, downstream of Hwy 101 bridge.

K
Kodiak
Yup

Yup

phish-on said:
does that method catch fish though;)
after watching a 30lb nook come within the blind spot of my hook, i started using a black marker.

I have access to about every color paint you can think of. I started doing it for summer steelies and finess rigs. I match the color of my hook to the colors of my yarn and it looks like a piece of the yarn, and I use flat colors, no shine. I started doing it to springers and my catch rate about doubled. I've heard people say steelhead and salmon don't know what a hook or line is, but I'm pretty sure they know what out-of-place is.

For fall fish in the bays and tidewater I troll bigger spinners #7 cascade and a bigger one i'm trying to tune and develope. Blue, purple, and black label herring depending on what there is the most of in the ocean (ask the bait suppliers they will tell you whats out there). It's like fly fishing..you gotta match the hatch. But when they move way upstream I go much smaller and it seems to be lethal as all get out.

L
luv2fish
carl hungis said:

I go with you Carl. Fall fish are lazy fish and won't do much until the bait is considerably big. Its very true in my personal experience as well.