Honda vs Merc

W
Wickerdave
HI,

I'm ordering my new boat next week and really have only one decision yet to make, but it's a big one. Honda vs. Merc?? I'm going with either a 115 Honda 4 stroke or the 115 Mercury 4 stroke.
the Honda has an option called a variable trolling speed controller, sounds interesting but I don't know how practical. I need opinions on this. I would like to buy the boat from Stevens marine but they only have the Merc. Clemens in Eugene has the Honda. the boat is a 20' Alumaweld Stryker What do you guys think???

Dave

Casting Call
Casting Call
Hi WD! Here's how I look at it. Who has mechanics all over the world even in the jungle,euro,siberia,usa,artics and has parts even new old stock 60 years old? Somewhere someone has parts. HONDA! Can Merc's boast the same? About the variable trolling speed, headway is control even n at 1mph. Dead drift has no control. Just my 2 cents. I own theEvinrude cause it was new old stock and cheap. Congrats and have a wonderful time with your new water rig.Tony

G
grampa ron
I would go with Honda. They have better engineering. If anything goes wrong you will be able to get it fixed. Some of the parts are used on their cars also. Clemens is a very reliable dealer also.

troutdude
troutdude
Why would Stevens Marine, want to lose a sale over a motor? If they're serious about customer service, wouldn't they try and get you the motor that you want? Even if they aren't a Honda dealer; they should have some connections they could at least explore. Or, did they already try--but, weren't able to help?

Last edited:
E
eugene1
Between the two listed, Honda.

But why not Yamaha??

Good luck,

H
hvacr1
x2 for yami

G
Gutz
I agree with the yamaha. my old man has a 2001ish 90hp 4stroke and it has always run smooth with just basic maintenance. Other discussions i've read always gives in favor of yamaha for reliability, and that's been with much input from outfitters who run their boat more than most.

I'm not really up to speed on new motors, but that variable speed trolling deal does sounds pretty sweet. That'd be great to not have a need for a kicker! And if it gave reliable slow speeds, that might sway me to a honda.

D
DirectDrive
1) Honda has been the leader in 4-stroke outboards.

2) Don't expect to troll with your main engine....get a kicker for that.

M
Mad dog
I have a Merc 2006 9.9, 4 stroke, P.O.S. model on my driftboat and would recommend just about any other brand of motor....except for Johnson!

jamisonace
jamisonace
Yamaha is my suggestion.

Reactions: JustMe
C
ckkoch09
I have a 2005 Mercury 4-stroke kicker on my boat and I can never get it to run the way I want. I can't tell you how many times it has been in the shop and they said nothing was wrong with it. My dad has both a Yamaha 115 and a 9.9 on his and they run real smooth day after day. I am sure that Mercury makes a good motor but for me I would choose the Honda if I couldn't get my hands on the Yamaha.

E
eugene1
LOL, alexandrahalinaB! Try a little harder...

alexandrahalinaB said:
Honda and Merc are good car brand. But, I can say that Honda is more popular.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I had Mercury 115 4 stroke saltwater modle on my old boat for ten years. They were a great up grade from my 110 Johnson 2 stokes. .......but the new Yamaha 150 twins are even better. If you still can check out the Yamamha.