Hollow bell bodies vs. solid brass bodies.

D
DirectDrive
I got the book yesterday and am sitting at the table taking notes right now. Unfortunately, I've seen absolutely no reference to the Blue Fox type bodies with the rattle. I can't even find a place online that sells the hollow bell bodies?
In the 1st edition Jed mentioned that he considered the Blue Fox to be an under-weighted spinner.
I've gutted them and put worm weights inside the bell and I still don't like them. They do catch, but it's harder to get in his face as compared to properly weighted and configured spinners.
I'm talking fast water.

I do like to see a guy pushing through a run in front of me, using them, however

S
snascar2424
I was just looking at making blue fox bells #4 for approx.95 ea minumum buy is 10 pcs. If any one is interested. I was thinking mfg aprrox 2000 pcs the heck with bc angler his prices are pretty steep only thing is theses will be in the raw brass state you paint.

F
fish_4_all
Hagens has light wide ones, Lakeland has HEAVY narrower ones. I have both and use them for certain situations, one being heavy deep fast water along shore on the out going tide. I do not however even care about them so called rattling or whatever they are supposed to do. I have completely stopped trying to make them vibrate or rattle and I catch more fish on them now. My favorite way is to use 2 beads now, bottom bead just big enough to keep the bell body from slipping completely over it and the top bead a size or 2 smaller. If I need more weight I add a small brass body or bead inside the bell.

K
Kelkay
If you have photos, I would love to see them. They sound fantastic.

I
ING
Some manufacturers (like Mepps) sometimes using deer's hairs or silicon skirts, or even grubs on the hooks. How it is improving a bites rate? (I am asking about salmon, not about customers)
Thanks

F
fish_4_all

Both are fish catchers, have gotten 1 Coho on the top one and 2 on the bottom one.

K
Kelkay
I like that design, great job.
Kelly

F
fishingfreak
Keep in mind every Fall and winter BC angling post has Lure Building classes for $40. He has 30yrs experience and is very knowledgable. Also if you go write down a list of questions you will have for them. They will be happy to answer all your questions. Good luck hope this helps.

FF

A
Anyfishisfine
Some manufacturers (like Mepps) sometimes using deer's hairs or silicon skirts, or even grubs on the hooks. How it is improving a bites rate? (I am asking about salmon, not about customers)
Thanks

I haven't seen many people use those in the river. Most people when I ask what they are using say regular Vibrax. Spinners made by local tackle makers seem to have at most a piece of colored plastic tubing on the shank of the hook.

Y
yellowjacket
A bit late but!!!

A bit late but!!!

Call BC Angling Post, then just tell them what you are doing & they will set you up. You can pay over phone & then they will mail parts. Do a cost comparison & you can build a nice spinner that knocks-em dead for about the same as a Bud's at Bi-mart. Thumbs up