Henry Hagg Lake Reports 2020

OREGON FISHING FORUM

bass

Most Featured
I got a little inflatable boat with a trolling motor or my Kayak. No need for banking lol. It is fun to paddle around there in the summer.
You are all set then. Hagg is an OK bass fishery but the smallmouth in the Willamette in the summer are insane and insatiable.

troutdude

Well now you've gone and done it Mr. @bass! Now I wanna GO FISHIN'!!! BAD!!!

You also came mighty close to needing a new Fenwick. ;-)

P.S. I Love my glass Fenny's!

bass

Most Featured
Well now you've gone and done it Mr. @bass! Now I wanna GO FISHIN'!!! BAD!!!

You also came mighty close to needing a new Fenwick. ;-)

P.S. I Love my glass Fenny's!
I did not realize how close I was to losing that rod until I saw the video. I knew I had bumped my rod and I grabbed it without realizing how close I had been to losing it. That Fenwick I have is a graphite rod but it feels like a glass rod. They did an amazing job on that blank!

bass

Most Featured
@bass maybe I will give the Willamette a go this year on my Kayak. It is just a cheapo lifetime. So the Willamette makes me nervous.
We can meet up one of these days when the bass fishing is good. The Willlamette park launch in West Linn (not the one in Portland) is a good one to try. There is a lot of good water on the ramp side (West side) of the river but the marked channel is on the East side. Usually not too much boat traffic close to you although it is usually pretty choppy by the end of the day. That has become one of my favorite places to fish on the Willamette.

Fishnsleep

You know spring is here when it’s time to visit Henry Hagg Lake. Met my friend John there at 7:30 a.m. and fished out of his 19’ Duckworth. We launched from boat ramp A and trolled towards the dam. The action was fairly fast, and we had our limits in an hour or so. It was very interesting that once the sun came out, the bite almost died, we were fishing small spinners near the surface. I put on a heavy spoon to get a little deeper, and this caught the last three trout. It was a great day, and the ODFW has stocked some very nice trout in the lake.

Also, the park is very nice, I have not visited in quite a while. I plan to do more fishing, as well as some hiking and biking in this very scenic park over the summer. Annual passes can be bought at the Lake Stop Grocery, which is on your right, before entering the park, 8015 SW Old Highway 47, Gaston, OR 97119. They also have fishing licenses, bait, tackle, and food for sale.

20200301HaggLaketrout.jpg

Attachments

troutdude

Excellent report. Thanks for sharing.

Yes the sun does bring the bite to a stand still there. Gotta go deep and into the channel drop OFF's when that happens.

Good of you to give a shout out to the folks, at the Lake Stop Grocery. Wonderful people who have been there for decades!

I have noticed the same when I fish Hagg. The morning or evening bite is hot but as soon as the sun is up the bite dies.

Man I never fish by the dam or Boat ramp A. I don't have luck there i do the no wake zone area around C with a ton of success!

Looks like you guys got a nice and fat one too.

bass

Most Featured
Great report and congrats on the nice catch!

I have not had too many problems getting bit at Hagg when the sun is shining. What I do is start letting out an extra 10' on my rods (while trolling) until I find them again. In low light I am often 30-50' back. In the sunshine I often have to go to 80-100' back. Sometimes I will add more weight but usually just getting deeper by trolling a longer line is all it takes.

They don't just have food at the Lakestop store, they have the best fried chicken in Oregon :)

Last edited:

troutdude

Great report and congrats on the nice catch!

I have not had too many problems getting bit at Hagg when the sun is shining. What I do is start letting out an extra 10' on my rods (while trolling) until I find them again. In low light I am often 30-50' back. In the sunshine I often have to go to 80-100' back. Sometimes I will add more weight but usually just getting deeper by trolling a longer line is all it takes.

They don't just have food at the Lakestop store, they have the best fried chicken in Oregon :)
Yep. Ya gotta go deep.

And I'll add that the store has the nicest owners too!

Golfbum

Hagg Lake
March 23rd

Until further notice all Washington County Parks facilities restrooms, shelters, indoor rental facilities, playgrounds, and sport courts and disc golf courses are closed.

Lake and boat ramps still open.

Top Bottom