Help on crappies

R
rjdged1
Hi Everyone,

What a cool webstite. I'm new to the area and wanted to find a few crappies to eat. I have a canoe, and a new reel I just got today. I was leaning toward learning Hills Creek reservoir because it looks pretty up there and I heard it at least has crappies. Lookout point and Fall creek look so low. Can anyone give me a good place to start looking for them in Hills Creek. I know I'm probably a little early, but this will give a chance to get the kinks worked out before spawning season starts.

Thanks for any directions you can provide.
 
D
Drew9870
I could only tell you that Fern Ridge Reservoir is supposed to hold some giants, and if you want to travel as far as the Snake River, it is just crazy crappie fishing
 
M
mikeredding
rjdged1 said:
Hi Everyone,

What a cool webstite. I'm new to the area and wanted to find a few crappies to eat. I have a canoe, and a new reel I just got today. I was leaning toward learning Hills Creek reservoir because it looks pretty up there and I heard it at least has crappies. Lookout point and Fall creek look so low. Can anyone give me a good place to start looking for them in Hills Creek. I know I'm probably a little early, but this will give a chance to get the kinks worked out before spawning season starts.

Thanks for any directions you can provide.

Launch at the Packard Creek boat ramp on Hills Creek Res. and work the shoreline between the boat ramp and the rocks at the end of the cove.
 
R
rjdged1
I drove by Fern Ridge yesterday. The water is really down there. Have you fished it before?

What's a good place on the Snake? I doubt I'd get over there unlesss it was on a trip to Idaho.

Thanks for the help though. I'll try Fern Ridge someday. Maybe the pond below the dam.
 
R
rjdged1
Hi Mike,

Thank you very much. I was hoping to get out today, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Probably next weekend. I really appreciate the help.
 
M
mikeredding
No problem, just let us know how it goes when you do make it up there.
 
R
rjdged1
Well, I made it up there. The weather was great. A little breezy for the canoe, at least until about 5:00 pm. Not a single fish to be had. After the wind died down, I tried really deep with the jig. I think I was on the bottom or very close to it in the middle of the packard creek arm and at about 6:00 I got one strike. I maybe had him on for a whole 5 seconds. I think I need to give it another month for the water to warm up.

When you mentioned the north shore of packard creek were you thinking of later when the water level is up? I see that nice bench with stumps that would be great crappie habitat if the water was up 30'.

Thanks again,
 
Troutski
Troutski
School Creek...

School Creek...

School creek on Lookout Point res. is very productive for hand size Crappies. You are right though, the water has to warm up at least 10 degrees. The temp of the water you were fishing today in Packard creek was 41 degrees, at least it was yesterday.
A great place for Crappies in a canoe would be the first cove on the east shore line once the lake (Hills Creek) has come up to the ramp in the back (Bingham). drive past the parking and restrooms and follow the road back until you get to the first nice cove. Slip your canoe in and fish the point to the north of the cove. I recommended heavy line and small red/white jigs, good luck.

Chuck
 
H
Hawk
Sometimes pink 1/16oz, 1/8oz jigs work good. Put a little nightcrawler on the hook. In the summer i've caught some big'un crappie using a shallow diving Rapala in earthtone colors.


Good Luck Bro & Happy fishin'......................:D:D
 
M
mikeredding
rjdged1 said:
When you mentioned the north shore of packard creek were you thinking of later when the water level is up? I see that nice bench with stumps that would be great crappie habitat if the water was up 30'.

Thanks again,

Yes I was referring to full pool. Crappie bite much better when the water is warm and the bench you saw is an awesome place after it fills and warms.
 
R
rjdged1
Thanks Chuck, I can't wait for the water to warm up.
 
F
fishing man
at kirk pond(the pond below the dam)use white crappie nibbles and u will catch fish
 
M
mikeredding
fishing man said:
at kirk pond(the pond below the dam)use white crappie nibbles and u will catch fish

Are you referring to the pond at the Davidsons gravel pit?
 
X
xltom
If you're still interested, I fished fern ridge a week or two ago for crappie and got skunked...crappie are sight feeders and the water is muddy there. The next day I went to fall creek res. and caught one trolling for trout believe it or not. The water was very low so I don't think that's a factor. Man that crappie tasted GOOOD!

fallcreek.jpg


I thinks I'll be going back today if I can ever get to sleep HEHEHE...
 
Last edited:

Similar threads

MT_dirtbag
Replies
11
Views
460
TheKnigit
TheKnigit
bass
Replies
3
Views
254
bass
bass
R
Replies
6
Views
747
Diamond Lake Charlie
D
The Guides Forecast
2 3
Replies
46
Views
9K
The Guides Forecast
The Guides Forecast
F
Replies
9
Views
749
fishnjack
F
Top Bottom