Heading to the Coast

K
Kayaktreker
Buddy and I are going to the Coast Friday, not sure for what aside from Surf Perch. He's got a new Monster Surf Rod to try. I thought of Casting the Fishing Crab Trap in a bay. No boat, so it's all from the bank, shore. Any ideas, I'll give a report when I get back. Oh, I'll have to try the Wilson as well, this time with a Glo Bug.

Thinking Crab, Clams as well.

Thanks,
Kayaktreker

Last edited:
L
lechner
Nice! I'm hitting Newport on Saturday and Sunday. Where will you and your friend be fishing? Good luck out there!

K
Kayaktreker
Probably centered around Tillamook. May hit the Jetties, the bay etc. Not real sure at this time. I'll check at the Sporting Store in Tillamook for advice but from there, it's up the Neptune and showing the way. Let me know where you end up and how it goes. We're doing a one day deal, so fast and furious.

Good luck to you,

Kayaktreker

L
lechner
Neptune can be a miserable SOB sometimes. :lol:

If you do make it up to the jetties, I suggest you stop in at Lyster's tackle and baitshop right before the north jetty turnoff in Garibaldi. The owner, Sherry, is sweet as pie and will give you loads of useful advice about where the fish are biting and on what tackle.

I just bought my first monster surf rod a few weeks ago and I'm still getting used to needing both hands to cast :)

Stay safe -- it looks like there will be some big swells on Saturday!

Cheers,
Chris

K
Kayaktreker
Well I guess we'll just have to pay Chris a visit then. Nothing like the local to know what's going on. Really do appreciate the FYI. Good luck on the new stick, I may have to break down and get on, I heard there are some big sturgeon around.

Thanks Chris,

Kayaktreker

T
tnffishman
what is the best fishing availablr from the pier in newport, and what method is best???

L
lechner
tnffishman said:
what is the best fishing availablr from the pier in newport, and what method is best???

You can catch surf perch and crabs off the public fishing pier accessible from the south side of Newport, although most people just crab from the pier and fish from the jetties because there are quite a few sculpin and other undesirable species that will be more than happy to eat your bait in Yaquina bay.

For bait fishing, most people use a "surf rig" which consists of a barrel swivel, two dropper loops, and a snap swivel. Your main line is tied to the barrel swivel, size 2 or 4 pre-tied bait hooks go on the dropper loops, and lead weight is put on the terminal snap swivel. Surf perch don't weigh very much and you can certainly get away with 8# mono and light to medium-heavy steelhead gear. You can find pre-tied surf rigs at most sporting good stores.

The amount and type of weight depends on the strength of the current and underwater structure. The stronger the tidal current, the more weight you will need to keep your bait from drifting away. The best bait is live sand shrimp but soft plastic GULP baits work pretty well too. You can also jig for perch using 3" twisty tailed grubs and 1/4 to 1/2 oz jigs.

Fishing at the jetties will give you the chance to catch other species (rock fish, greenling, cabazon, ling cod, etc.) but is notably harsher. Not only will you have to contend with slippery boulders and large waves, but you will lose a lot of tackle to the submerged rocks around the jetty. Good footwear (non-slip soles) and a patient demeanor should be mandatory.

K
Kayaktreker
Well I have to thank Lechner for the lead on this place: Lyster's tackle and baitshop at Garibaldis, and meeting Sherry, what a great lady that is. Full of info on what, where and how around there. Please do visit the site below ask for Sherry and you will have a renewed faith in good old quality people.

Snagged up a lot though, tons of bites but I figure, small ones. Her cost for Sand Shrimp is very good so I headed to the jetty just north of there. Yep, snags and donations to Neptune once again. Nothing to speak about from it either.

Next trip I went back to the jetty and if you go there, you'll see a small parking lot. Park and go left to the back side of the jetty from the rocks. Cast the Fishing Crab and got very busy, tons for activity for 1 hour plus on the incoming tide, Chicken Thighs. Lots of fun, a few keepers. Wather was murkey and tried w/ the Shrimp but too busy w/ Crab. Great time.

FYI Sherry is well known across the world in many ways, be sure to say Hi, she is retiring in October.

Kayaktreker