Heading to Newport Thursday and need some help!!!

T
TJR_84
I am heading out to newport hoping to get out in the ocean and play around the mouth of the jetty north and south fishing bottom fish. I want to rig up for salmon and want to know what you guys think i should throw, or run!!! help a guy out!!

Reactions: bigsteel
D
Drew9870
TJR_84 said:
I am heading out to newport hoping to get out in the ocean and play around the mouth of the jetty north and south fishing bottom fish. I want to rig up for salmon and want to know what you guys think i should throw, or run!!! help a guy out!!

I'd throw a #6 Blue Fox, you could possibly even cast and retreive a large Qwikfish. Night is killer for Seabass, you can expect luck with soft plastics and sometimes topwater.

In fact, I will be going with a buddy to the Salmon River on Thurs to toss Spinners for some early fish, then we will be headed to Newport.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigsteel
troutdude
troutdude
Drew9870 said:
Night is killer for Seabass, you can expect luck with soft plastics and sometimes topwater.

X2. A floating silver/blue rapala at night and LOW tide (tide going out). Minus tides are even better. Just twitch the plug, reel slow, twitch, repeat...FISH ON!

Word: the spines in their dorsal fins will stab ya good. Best just to immobilize them with the Vulcan death pinch (your thumb under their tongue), to release hooks.

Reactions: bigsteel and Drew9870
D
Drew9870
I never have tried at low tide Td, but now I have confidence to do so :D, great advice.

troutdude
troutdude
You're welcome. At low (minus) tide, you can go out the south jetty and onto a finger jetty (at Newport). As the tide goes out, face the bay side and cast out.

My notion, is that the food supply gets washed up on the surface which draws the bait fish. The big bass then, in turn, feast on the bait fish. It's easy to get 20 or more bass in an hour.

As the tide comes back in, just turn around and cast out to the seaward side. Then, leave AMPLE time to get OFF of the those slippery rocks. No need to add any humans to the food supply! ;-)

D
Drew9870
Never heard of that theory, but it is logical. I might have caught a 4-5lber the other day on a topwater :), peeled line and tailwalked in the darkness, very surprised to see one that big in the bay, I consider a 2lber huge in the bay.

Thank you, that is useful for everyone to read.

T
TJR_84
last time i was over there i was to rough to fish out of the jetty so we just fished the fingers of the south jetty and we managed 14 nice sea bass 3 of the were pushing 5 pounds. some of the bniggest sea bass i have ever caught. Also rigged up light on a rod and were able to get some nice surf perch around the fingers too!!!I love fishing the coast!

Reactions: Drew9870
D
DB Crouper
Crabbed Yaquina from 11AM to 1:30 yesterday. Two of us ended up with 17 crab, some as large as 7" and fairly full.

• fall big crab.JPG