Headed to the Wilson this weekend

L
levimorgan09
Headed out to the Wilson this weekend for the second time, I was in the bay area about a month ago looking for steelies but I felt like a foreigner, this is not the area I am familiar with. I would love some help, I put in about an hours work about ten miles or so up hwy 6 right next to this overhanging bridge with some great looking water, no luck as the water was still low. any pointers on some effective techniques and where the fish are at in the river right now? Thanks for the help guys, i appreciate it!

D
DrTheopolis
Probably be fish anywhere you can get to the river, from Mills Bridge (about mile 5 on Hwy 6), all the way up to the South Fork (which I believe is the deadline, but always check your regs).

If I was going, I'd run bobber and jig, and/or spinners, probably in a #4.

Z
zinfan94
Floated from Mills Bridge to Sollie Smith on Sunday, and again on Tuesday. We are beginner steelhead fishermen, so weren't really prepared as we should be on Sunday. Saw the guided boat in front of us hook a huge steelhead in a relatively fast stretch of water below the RV park... When the guide closed in with the net, the fish ran down the river and spooled the reel. On Tuesday, we started late morning and the two ladies in the boat had two bobber-jig hookups in the first mile below Mills Bridge, but lost both. Both fish hit nightmare jigs, even though we fished some pink jigs and pearl headed pink worms as well, and when I wasn't on the oars, swung a few flies. In the afternoon, the clouds rolled in, and no action or activity on the lower river.

Water level was really good on Sunday, but about a half foot lower on Tuesday, and water has cleared up from last week's rain. If you want to float from Siskeyville launch, and want to put up with a relative novice, I can drift the river again this weekend. According to the shuttle driver, they also have cleared and repaired the road to the park on the Kilchis, and although I have not floated that river, I would like to try it. Message me if interested.

T
todd_brooks
There's a mean mine field below Siskeyville that's bad in low water. I haven't checked water levels but from what it was last I looked and what it's probably at now, I wouldn't try it. At least not in my drift boat, maybe if I took my cataraft and wanted a little excitement.

P
PARTYBOY
Water level is at like 4.3 right now...fished it on monday and its super low and crystal clear...no one was having any luck!

W
waco
If you are from Salem just stay local, I heard is better than here!! Water is very low and clear which makes it very challenging especially for the new fisherman!

L
levimorgan09
Sorry waco the rooms are already booked! haha ill just have to give it my best shot and see what happens

W
waco
Good luck!! haha

Z
zinfan94
Wilson Mine Field

Wilson Mine Field

todd_brooks said:
There's a mean mine field below Siskeyville that's bad in low water. I haven't checked water levels but from what it was last I looked and what it's probably at now, I wouldn't try it. At least not in my drift boat, maybe if I took my cataraft and wanted a little excitement.

Yeah, I ran the mine field last November for the first time. I didn't know the right line to take (start in the middle and move right of each rock), and so I hit what one OFF member calls the dammit rock just before where the river drops several feet over a ledge. I knew I was going to hit it, so I lined up and hit straight on with one corner of my pram (square front end) where I have some pretty thick steel. Left a mark, and made a big bang, but no real damage. I was lucky, and the river was about 5 feet, and the higher water makes the mine field easier to run. I walked back up, and took a good look at it. I want to practice running the mine field until I do it properly. If the river level is under 4.5 feet, I will stop on the road and look at the mine field before I decide where to launch. Over the weekend and Tuesday I saw several boats come through that launched at Siskeyville and VanderZanden, but they had very good oarsmen. I am not in that league yet.

If I launch early, I could run the stretch from Siskeyville to Mills Bridge once, then relaunch, run it again, and then continue on and take the river down to Solley Smith. If the river is really low, maybe I will delay and wait for higher water levels. From what I understand, the Wilson mine field is easier than most of the famous rapids on the Clackamas, MacKenzie, and Rogue, so maybe not a bad place for me to build my skill level and gain confidence.

D
DrTheopolis
zinfan94 said:
From what I understand, the Wilson mine field is easier than most of the famous rapids on the Clackamas...

Just my opinion, but there's really only one big problem spot on the lower (below the dams) Clack -- the Minefield. There's a big rapid just below the launch on that run (McIver Park), but any decent oarsman will ace it (stay against the right bank, head left after the big submerged boulder). A few nice whoop-dowhoops on the way down after that, mostly above Barton, but nothing any decent boater can't handle. Biggest issue on the Clack is navigating the skinnies (when in doubt, stay right until you learn it well, wear waders in case you have to do some dragging).

I've never drifted the Wilson, but my 8 million hours fishing it has me believing Sisky down is quite the obstacle course.