Headed to the Ana

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
Hey guys,

My grandpa, dad, brother, and I are headed to Ana Reservoir/River in a couple of weeks for some fly fishing and fiddle music. ODFW's fishing report says that the boat launch is usable for 12'-14' boats. Has anyone been to the lake recently? We have a 16' drift boat we are planning on dragging over there. Should we leave it at home?

Thanks for the help.

EOBOY
EOBOY
TheKnigit said:
Hey guys,

My grandpa, dad, brother, and I are headed to Ana Reservoir/River in a couple of weeks for some fly fishing and fiddle music. ODFW's fishing report says that the boat launch is usable for 12'-14' boats. Has anyone been to the lake recently? We have a 16' drift boat we are planning on dragging over there. Should we leave it at home?

Thanks for the help.

I've never been there but I want to make a trip that way this summer, The Cowboy Dinner Tree Restaurant is right there, so I'm definitely going. You should check it out.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
The restaurant has been on our list for a while. I am not sure if we will make it this time or not, I certainly hope so. We have been fishing the lake and river for about 10 years. That little river holds some impressive trout and a lot of memories.

EOBOY
EOBOY
I hope you make it. And thanks for the info I was wondering where the best place to stay while there would be.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
That depends on how dusty you want to get. We typically just camp next to the lake. There is a dirt road that circles most of the lake, we normally just find a spot to pull off near the boat launch and set up camp. There is also an RV park about 1/2 mile away from the lake. As far as hotels go there is the "Silver Lake Motel" and "The Lodge at Summer Lake". The RV park and both hotels are relatively nice, and don't require long drive to the lake, but there is nothing like rolling out of bed and plopping a line in the water. There is also the "Summer Lake Hot Springs" and "Paisley Sage Rooms" a little bit rather away.

EOBOY
EOBOY
I have a tent trailer so anywhere they let me put it LOL

EOBOY
EOBOY
I just throw my pontoon in and I'm gone

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I would stay right next to the lake then. That would give you good access to both the lake and the river. Which is definitely worth a visit as well.

M
Mutiny
Funny that you posted this, because I will be fishing the Ana river bellow the reservoir this Friday and then camping with friends for the weekend. Anyone got any tips or info on fly fishing the river?

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I have had really good luck this time of year with orange and yellow stimulators, buck haired caddis, or blue duns. Depending on the weather black ants and mosquito patterns have worked as well. I think the biggest trout I hook into was a 16" red band monster on a stone fly nymph. Other than that I haven't really tried much with nymphs on the river. I haven't found a specific size that they seem to key to though.

if you are going to be there this Friday you will have to let me know what the lake level looks like and if it would be worth bringing the boat along with us. Any fish photos might help with the excitement building up as well. Good luck

M
Mutiny
I'll post a report as soon as I can find the time after I'm back!

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
Well, did you leave us any fish Mutiny?

M
Mutiny
Hey, sorry I didn't post up yet, been super busy with work.
I fished the river from about 8:30-2 and caught some nice trout! Early in the day there was a bit of a hatch going on and I was able to sight fish and catch several rising trout on size 16 parachute dun colored drys. The surface action died off in the afternoon and I switched to stripping and swinging small bead head wooly buggers and picked up a couple of the largest of the day (14" and 17")
My phone is not letting me upload pictures right now, but I'll post a few up soon.
Cool little desert stream for sure!! I'd definitely love to go back some day!

M
Mutiny
8f24b8370f73a6ee0743308de673f8a0.jpgecb8e3cc64fdd72a5c5869213c9944b0.jpg167b5d8b08dc309b55bcedf8a67d18c8.jpgd8abb62b7434f0083696007dad39818d.jpg

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
Those are some awesome photos. We just got back yesterday. It was a lot of fun, didn't do nearly as much fishing as I wanted. We fished the lake and river both one time and ended up with 5 trout. I didn't pick anything up on the fly rod. It was so windy I only got to use it a couple of times before I gave up. We did catch several large mouth out of the pond behind the Summer Lake Lodge. The whole trip was a lot of fun, but I don't ever remember it being that windy before. I will see if I can get any photos to load a little later.

H
Hafcanadian
Thanks for the pix. Brought back memories. My first post here. Seems like a great Forum I shoulda noticed long ago... :thumb:

We parked the Beaver coach at the nearby RV park and I belly/pontooned the lake fruitlessly 7 or 8 years ago. It was mid-summer though, as I recall, so the hybrid bass or anything else were pretty languid. The river was easy to wade fish, but mostly I hooked fish almost too small to get the #14-16 fly in their mouth... nearly a hundred of them. I guess some action is better than no action. The big ones musta been fished out by then. I scared up one 12" out of one inside curve hole, but not before half a dozen 6"ers beat him to the fly numerous times. I reckon a guy could float from below the reservoir down to another road crossing, but it would have to be higher water than what I ran into back then.

Looking forward to getting over there this year if we can, and to seeing any further photos you guys have of Ana fishing. One problem is I am wary of rattlers in that country, and nervously negotiate the creek and lake sides; I enjoy the country, but that kinda dampens the whole effect. The Metolius and upper Deschutes are really more favored; I know the nasty critters are there, but have yet to see one, unlike the desert country rimrock, hills, and waters.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
Welcome to the forum Hafcanadian.

Apparently I didn't take any photos of fish, only scenery, from our trip. Sorry guys. I have never fished either the river or the lake in mid-summer. I think Memorial day weekend is the latest I have ever fished it. I might have to make a trip in the summer to see what the difference is.

If you don't want to have to worry about rattlers the river is usually fish-able all year long. My dad and I used to make a yearly trip over every Valentines Weekend in February. Because the river is tucked down in that alkali ravine it is normally a fair bit warmer down next to it. Actually made the fishing a lot of fun once you got out of the wind.

Has anyone tried to float the river before? It is something I would like to do some day. There are several photos in the store at Summer Lake and Paisley showing off some awesome trout. About half of them seem to have a drift boat in the background. Putting the boat in would be relatively simple, it is the pulling it out part I am not sure about. I don't have a winch other than what is on the drift boat trailer. Is there a pull out down stream? Or is it a winch, a lot of rope, and prayer show?

M
Mutiny
Seems awful skinny for a drift boat. I've heard float tubes are a good way to fish it....

H
Hafcanadian
Yes, that's what I meant. It's too narrow and shallow for a drift boat, and few if any takeout options that I recall. But I'd read somewhere about tubing it down to one of the road crossings where someone could meet you later. I have a "backpacker" Skeeter pontoon that might be small enough. But in mid-summer when I was there years back there were plenty of places I'd have had to carry it over the shallows. A drift boat doesn't seem plausible, and certainly not then, even if there was a way to get it to the creek. When I first saw it, the first thing that came to mind was it shoulda been named Ana Creek, not Ana River.

How about the Hybrid Bass prospects at the reservoir? I understand the state record is out of there; but then if it's the only place they put hybrid bass anyway... duh. Anyone have fly tackle recommendations or experience in that venue? What size fly rig - 6wt., 8wt.?

I envy those living on the east side of the mountains where the season doesn't have to be waited on so long. A couple weeks ago we daytripped up the Clackamas, where good weather had drawn a few campers along the river. We saw a few that looked like they were fishing. I said to the wife that I didn't think the season opened until May 22nd. At the Ranger station they said nope, no one should be fishing yet; but the counter people had no clue... I had to get that verification from a civilian local in the parking lot that they directed me to! Hmmm. I guess there's not much fear of badges up that way. Or a lot of ignorance. And apparently a reputation for no enforcement. My license fees in action.

Wonder how many kept their catch on a c&r river? Aggravating.

Last edited:
TheKnigit
TheKnigit
It is rather small. I don't remember seeing any snow in any of the photos hung up in the store, but I do remember seeing folks nice and bundled up. At least all of the photos that had a drift boat in them. I know I wouldn't have wanted to try and float the drift boat through it when we were there last weekend.

Looking at Google Earth it looks like you might be able to have someone pick you up where Co. Hwy. 4-17 crosses the river. Which if the "add path" tool can be trusted is only about a 3 1/4 mile float.