Hawaii fishing... pointers?

C
cookshot
At the end of July, my fiancee and I will be going to Maui on a honeymoon. I really want to get into some fish while we are there, but I don't necessarily want to pay big bucks to MAYBE catch a marlin (unless someone knows a really good guide). Just wondering if anyone has had any success, or knows anything about fishing the surf over there. Any info would be greatly appreciated, and rewarded with some pictures of (hopefully) exotic fish.

18406ej
18406ej
Cookshot,

My wife and I went to Waikiki for our honeymoon. We went on a cheap cruise around the area and saw a number of whales pass near the boat. I am not sure what the retention laws are on whale in Hawaii, but with all of that meat any game citation would be worthwhile.

If you Google "Surf Fishing Maui beaches" it looks like there is a lot of information, including posts by people with your same question, and with a number of good responses.

Have fun,

EJ

jamisonace
jamisonace
Keep in mind that you don't need a license to fish salt water in HI. I've never been to Maui so I can't help you there but I've had fun fishing the tidal areas on the big island for smallish fish. You should be able to find the same on Maui.

C_Run
C_Run
I went to Maui two years ago and just had my suitcase rod along. I had a hard time finding a tackle shop where we were (Kihei) because their main one had shut down. I hadn't brought much stuff along because I heard TSA might confiscate "large" hooks and we just had carry-on luggage. I ended up doing some fishing from the rocky outcroppings and reefs near where we stayed and caught goat fish and trigger fish using tako (octopus). The bottom is very snaggy and I thought a small float might have been a good idea. Definitely check the tackle shops in Kahalui when you arrive.

Yeah, we had also been there several years earlier and paid big bucks for a deep sea charter. Nice five hour boat ride. Never saw a fish.

C
cookshot
C_Run said:
I heard TSA might confiscate "large" hooks and we just had carry-on luggage.

i was thinking the same thing. I definitely don't want them to get out the latex gloves over a couple of fishing hooks. My friend is in Hawaii now, and rented a couple kayaks, I've been thinking about doing something like that.