Has anyone drifted the Clackamas River lately?

S
stitch626
Drifting the clack

W
waco
Was a report from herefishyfishy from barton to carver (I think) water so clear and no sign of fish!

S
stitch626
I want to get the drift boat out soon!!!!

W
wozniasm
I am planning on hitting Bonnie Lure on Friday. This will be my first trip there but if you're available, I wouldn't mind the company since I'm new at going for steellies , wouldn't mind input.

H
Herefishyfishy
We drifted Feldhiemer to Barton Saturday and the water was crystal clear and very low. There are some good slots to fish still but I think right now down lower in the river is probably best, Carver to Riverside might be a decent drift. C'mon RAIN!!!!!

H
hunt-fish-trap
Im gunna drift carver to riverside on the 27th

brandon4455
brandon4455
go coastal!! thats where all the fish are lol

M
Modest_Man
brandon4455 said:
go coastal!! thats where all the fish are lol

I saw a report of a winter steelhead caught in the Clackamas today. So yeah, the fish are definitely all out at the coast...

W
waco
Thats what I was thinking! :lol:

brandon4455
brandon4455
you have a better chance catching a fish on the lower portions of a coastal system then crystal clear low water on the clack just a suggestion.

C
ChezJfrey
brandon4455 said:
you have a better chance catching a fish on the lower portions of a coastal system then crystal clear low water on the clack just a suggestion.

That's how I took your post...as a good suggestion since it seems that very few have embarked far upstream given the lack of rain. It's not that NONE have gone up, just a scant few and they're few and far between.

brandon4455
brandon4455
a lot of coastal rivers have low water right now but when the tide rolls in the chromers move in and will hold in the mid depth pockets in the lower river waiting for rain and sometimes i have observed them this time of year near breaks in the current at the head of a run just before it drops off into deep water.. also, targeting rivers that have obstructions such as waterfalls fish can't pass during low water events is a good idea because it saves you a lot of searching and if there are fish anywhere in the river you know they are limited to the water below that obstruction.