Halibut , halibut , halibut

S
Sage_Flyguy
Saturday the 22nd I had the opportunity to take a Free Halibut fishing trip.. Long story short a friend of a friend that works on a boat , the Captain needed a 2 1/2 wrench. I am a machinist and built him a billet alluminum wrench well 2 to be exact. so this was his payment to me.

We left the docks at Newport by 5am , the 30 mile trip to sea took approximately 3 hours.. We stopped and dropped 3 lines in the water there were 5 of us on the boat with 3 lines in the water .. within 45 seconds ( yes 45 seconds ) we had a Halibut on each of the 3 lines at once. Our bait never sat on the bottom any longer than a minute to a minute and a half before the strike. After bringing them in we decided to only keep the Halibut over 40" . within 45 minutes we had landed 15 Halibut thrown back 10 and kept 5 from 41 " - 44".. and were heading back into the docks.

After talking to Captain Dan I gathered this was a pretty rare occasion getting into the Halibut that many and fast. When we got back to the docks and Captain dan Fileted them out for all of us , we each went home with 18lbs of Halibut Filets.
What an Amazing trip for my first time out in the ocean fishing.

Also I have to mention I felt like the biggest wimp in the world.. those stinking fish would hit the line My arms were all wore out trying to get this fish to the boat . it felt like everything I had to bring it in , I would have to take a little rest , I would finally get it so we could see the fish . ( and after thinking this might be a world record halibut ) Captain dan says thats just a little one , we are throwing that one back .. Thank god I didn't hook into a 100lber , I would still be out there landing it.

By the way the Cooler in the picture is about 48"long if it gives any idea of the size of the fish

Last edited:
M
mgdguy
WOW! Only some pics would have made that day better ;) Jealous!

T
Thuggin4Life
x2 way to go after them. i need a bigger boat.

N
nwkiller
that is what i want, was ur friends neighbors friends friends dads friend a guide? if so what was his guide service name? if anyone else knows a good hali guide please chime in...thanks. if you want pm me so i dont hijack the crap outta this thread...not trying to

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
You sure picked the right guy to do a favor for! Good for you,sticking it out and bringing them back home. My wimpy arms would have been like limp noodles in no time,I'm sure. Sure hope to see pics of your great day.

F
fishnquest
Haibut are awesome. So much fun to catch and some of the best eating there is. Thats a heck of a trip. Sometimes the ocean just won't cooperate. Congratulations. Don't forget the camera next time.

T
The Nothing
18lbs Halibut
x
Halibut fillet $18.99/lb
=
some pretty nice wrenches!!

S
Sage_Flyguy
Actually the guy to my knoledge is not a guide he just does it as a hobby.. It seemed fairly reasonable he just had everyone split the cost of Gas and bait . So had I not of got the free trip it would of cost me $65 , which if you ask me thats a steal of a deal for the time we had... Also I added some pictures to the post now , so scroll up and take a look at them

Jer