guess how big this one is!!

M
markasd
Sweet fish kid..

N
nwkiller
what ever is weighs, its a beauty!!

what ever is weighs, its a beauty!!

awesome fish bro!! i would have to agree though looks to be 28-30 in the pic.....but its not hard to make a big fish look small or a small fish look big.....this ones dark but it only went 34.................................................................................................. 30.jpg

E
eat, sleep, fish
BlackBass said:
Great looking fish but to say that fish weighed 40 lbs its CRAZY. I have caught and seen hundreds of Springers if not a thousand . I have NEVER seen a 40lb springer your fish MAYBE weighed 30 highly doubt that as well. I do not want to sound like a jerk but when you post some unbelievable weight with a picture of the fish then you're asking for peoples opinion.

I've got to agree with everyone on it being around 28-30, especially since the leader at Pat's is still 31.

And BlackBass there are definitely 40+ lb springers around in the Rogue, although finding a hatchery one is like hitting the lottery. Before they closed it for wild fish retention it always took a 43+ lb fish to have a shot at placing in the top 3 at Pat's. In 2003 or 2004 (don't remember exactly) a 50lber won it so they are definitely around.

troutdude
troutdude
I just found this on a Rogue guides web page Salmon Fishing Rogue River, Steelhead Fishing, Rogue River Fishing

The Spring Chinook Salmon averages about 20# with a Spring Chinook to 40# every year. We will use our 24' custom built power boat to access the Lower 37 miles of the Lower Rogue River fishing from an anchored boat on inside corners to intercept fast move Spring Chinook. Best months for Spring Chinook on the Lower Rogue River is April - May - June. We will begin fishing Spring Chinook in late March depending on river temperature and river flow.

And this information from yet another guide service.

Oregon Spring Chinook Salmon are prized for their great eating qualities and are a top sport fish. Oregon Chinook Salmon enter fresh from the Pacific Ocean in the early season months of late March to June. Spring Chinook Salmon which escape the rigors of ocean life, and the Sea Lion gauntlet at the rivers mouth, return to their natal streams, after 3 to 4 years at sea at 18 to 40 pound silver bright fat Spring Chinook Salmon adults.

Not all rivers have a Spring Chinook Salmon run. The best rivers to catch these prize fish in are the Umpqua River and the Rogue River. The Rogue River has the largest run of Oregon Spring Chinook Salmon although the Umpqua River produces good catches.

This all looks like solid proof to me, that the Rogue Spirngers can be 40 pounds!

S
SLEDME
Nice fish but a 40lb it is not.I would say 28lbs....You did ask...

brandon4455
brandon4455
BlackBass said:
Great looking fish but to say that fish weighed 40 lbs its CRAZY. I have caught and seen hundreds of Springers if not a thousand . I have NEVER seen a 40lb springer your fish MAYBE weighed 30 highly doubt that as well. I do not want to sound like a jerk but when you post some unbelievable weight with a picture of the fish then you're asking for peoples opinion.

beating a dead horse there buddy. it's been said enough. it's a nice bright fish and it's a damn big one too.

A
autofisher
Whether it weighs in at 15 lbs or 60 lbs...... that's a damn nice fish. You guys can squabble about how much it weighs..... I'm gonna sit here and wish it was at the end of my line.

Reactions: brandon4455
D
Dbaum
I would say 38 .5 lbs....DB:cool:

brandon4455
brandon4455
autofisher said:
Whether it weighs in at 15 lbs or 60 lbs...... that's a damn nice fish. You guys can squabble about how much it weighs..... I'm gonna sit here and wish it was at the end of my line.

thank you mike. well said

H
halibuthitman
a 43 inch fish would have to be 27 inches round... I,d guess that fish at around 34-35 lbs, but im only guessing.. Ive only held 2 or 3 of em, I could be wrong;) the fish below is a football with shoulders and only weighed 28 lbs. anyway, any king over 30 is a stunning trophy, anywhere Ive ever fished.

H
halibuthitman
I would like to give you an atta boy for not jutting the fish out at arms length at the camera, holding a fish close to your body shows its true size, I instantly discount any photo that is a "guide" style shot shoved at the camera.. very nice fish.

T
the salmon kid
thanks for the input guys,., i weighed the fish at "pats hand tied flys"(and never entered the derby i don't like to compete) in trail and all they had was an old rusty scale that only went up to 20 lbs but the hand wrapped around twice and bottomed out again over 20 so we just added it up and guessed at 40,.,. but it mit be the old scale that is the problem,., the fish i got was about 7 inches thick,,.,. but i need to invest in a beter scale that goes to over 50 lbs next time

Last edited:
E
eat, sleep, fish
Next time take a girth measurement. An average 43" long salmon is going to come in right around 33lbs. It would have to be extremely shaped like a football to go 40.

Last edited:
T
the salmon kid
didn't mesure the girth but the thickness of the fish was outragous like 6 1/2 inches thick and the reason i didn't hold the fish out in front of me is because i am not that muscular and i wasn't able to plus it was hard to get a grip on the fish

and in the beginning of the post if you look at the second picture you can get a side view of the fish

M
Mad dog
I personally know someone that caught a 44 Lb. springer on the Rogue in the Chief hole, it's been a few years ago now but they do get them that big in there!

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice fish man!

T
the salmon kid
here is a couple more pictures of a nice springer i got today and a size comparison for the big springer i got

Last edited:
C
CoastieFlo
u can take the rope out of its mouth now, I dont think its going to get away :)

but it is a real nice fish, hope it cut good too.

D
DB Crouper
30 lb

30 lb

Umpqua Springer last week, super thick, and 29.6 lbs on digital scale.

T
the salmon kid
i need to get me one of those!