Growth rate of bass & other info

P
PNW Sam
Curiosity got the best of me while I was thinking of the first bass I caught last summer, so I decided to do a little searching for the growth rate of bass relevant to the Northwest.

I found the following information on largemouth bass:

"Growth rates vary in direct proportion to the fertility of the water, the length of the growing season each year, and the numbers of other fish competing for the food supply.

It is always the female bass which attains the greater weight. Male or "buck" bass rarely grow to any size larger than three or four pounds.

In northern lakes the anticipated length of a female largemouth bass is as follows:

At the end of the - First Year 4"
Second Year 7 1/2"
Third Year 9"
Fourth Year 11"
Fifth Year 13"
Sixth Year 15"
Seventh Year 17"
Eighth Year 19"
Ninth Year 21"
Tenth Year 23"
Eleventh Year 25"

To determine the weight of a largemouth bass in the absence of a scale, the following formula based upon linear measurements of the fish is a reliably accurate method of calculating its weight:

W = L x G x G / 800

L = Length [in inches] from nose to fork in tail

G = Girth [in inches] around fleshiest portion of body

W = Weight of fish in pounds"

Only after reading most of this lengthy article did I find out that it was produced by a club that is actually from Oregon (though I think much of the information comes from elsewhere). I highly suggest this article to everyone interested in bass. There is a lot of general knowledge information, but it is in depth and I'm sure that everyone could take something from it.

Last edited:
C
colbypearson
Its always cool to research this stuff!! for fish to attain the largest of the species size can truly be a miracle!

P
PNW Sam
Absolutely, Colby!

It's incredible that a record size fish is likely in its teens.

C
colbypearson
PNW Sam said:
Absolutely, Colby!

It's incredible that a record size fish is likely in its teens.

I caught a few this year in the 7-8+lb class, im estimating they were around 22.5-24.5" even that is such a monumental feat in itself, these fish are so incredibly smart it blows me away its an honor to have caught multiple fish of this size this year it really is! but my plan is to fool the biggest, saw one this year i bet was 26"-27" and i honestly guage that fish at 11-13lbs, we'll see maybe next year i can get her!, around the same time i caught a 7.5,8 and 8.55lbr i broke off two HAWGS that absolutely spanked me on the fight and made the three prior fish feel like rats! no reason to speculate over a fish i didn't see but it sure fuels me and keeps me interested i wonder how big those fish could have gone, maybe they where execptionally strong but im not thinkin so.

P
PNW Sam
Wow dude that's crazy. I'm sure you've got the skills it takes to tackle those beasts, you're a master!

Next year will be my first full year of hardcore fishing after basically 2 years of not being able to do anything because of medical crap, so I'm stoked to catch my first respectable bass.

C
catfishman89
Im trying to catch that beast in hagg that hangs around the boat ramps. Shes at least 9 pounds and wont bite anythinh. Those huge bass are extremely smart. Maybe predawn and night is when they feed. I havent caught any huge bass predawn though. Only a few 18 inchers.

B
Berg03
catfishman89 said:
Im trying to catch that beast in hagg that hangs around the boat ramps. Shes at least 9 pounds and wont bite anythinh. Those huge bass are extremely smart. Maybe predawn and night is when they feed. I havent caught any huge bass predawn though. Only a few 18 inchers.

I have seen that bass at the boat ramps, i saw these kids trying to snag her and i threw my line over theres and tangled there ****. it was epic, then i told em to get the f*** out of here if they are trying to snag. My brother had her bite a senko this year but was so amped to get her to bite it he set the hook so hard yanked it out of her mouth. Every time i go there i hit the ramp for a few hours then usualy hit the danm for a few then some canals in the back. I have a favorite spot that i know is at least a 7lb small in there i have hit a few times when on my pontoon boat. i love Hagg lake.

troutdude
troutdude
I think that there may be another factor involved, in the size that a fish can attain.

Some 3 decades back, my neighbor caught an 8" largemouth. He took it home live, and put it inside of either a 29 or 50 gallon freshwater fish tank. The fish was in that tank for at least two (maybe 3) years. The fish did NOT grow at all...not even 1/16 of an inch.

So, I've always wondered if the size of their water body--has a proportional relationship to their own size? In other words, if they live in a small pond; will their growth max out a low weight / size? And if they live in a reservoir that is miles long / miles wide...can they become a produce for an episode of "River (or lake) Monsters"?

S
steelhead_slayer
i think the size of the body of water makes a difference, even though you can find big fish in little water

P
PNW Sam
I believe the fertility of the water in proportion to the size of the water body would determine how fast and big the fish would grow.

For example, if you have a 25 acre warmwater pond in the Valley that has a good population of underwater invertebrates, insects, and minnows to get the fish to a size where they can eat fish, and then they have a healthy population of bluegill to dine on the fish shouldn't have any problem getting to 5-6 pounds+ as long as there isn't extreme catch and keep pressure on the pond.

However, there could be very large bodies of water that aren't fertile or suitable to bass where they might not be given the correct circumstances suitable for large growth.

To that end, I think Troutdude has a very valid point. You will be able to find decent sized fish in smaller water that is suitable for bass, but you probably won't find that real monster.

F
Finneus Polebender
Been kinda doin a little research on this subject and can tell ya after the first year they have spawned prolifically, and gained weight well on a diet of bullfrogs ,and various feed fish . No way to know for sure on mortality but if one was to go by the fishing I would say it has to be low. I have caught a few of these guys multiple times they just keep gettin bigger. Think as long as none attain the 7-8lb mark the adult bullfrogs " some of the biggest I have ever seen here" should survive to year after year fill the pond with little froggy snacks. From the sounds of the previous info I will need to get back to ya here in another 5 years or so . will be interesting to see if they can bust the 7lb mark with a good food supply in a small enviornment.

P
PNW Sam
That will be interesting FP.

I've been eying a small half acre pond near the Willamette that looks promising, with a deep part in the middle that is too deep to grow weeds, and weeds covering the other 80% of the pond. It's full of frogs, and I have seen fish hit the surface of the water and make decent splashes in the weeds. Also seen some bluegills and other sunfish in it. I'm thinking there should be bass, but I'll never know till I go out and catch one. :lol:

F
Finneus Polebender
Never know have pulled fish up to 4-5 lbs from that size of water. the second largest pond here guessin 4-5 acres was an active drained gravel pit 14 years ago , the first year I fished it pulled lm up over 4 lbs and smallies up to 3lb know there are bass over 5 for sure . It has a good population of other warm water species for feed as well , so by the info posted prior should be some 7-8 pounders in there that is unless size of water is of relevance. Seems like any pond remotely close to the willamette here has LM after all they are in the river up to Eugene now.

Last edited:
P
PNW Sam
Very cool! This pond is only about a quarter mile from the Willy, and it is just a small old gravel pit. It is actually about 5-6 feet below the water level of the river itself, and the level of the pond is regulated by seepage from the river so it stays the same depth through the summer.

Can't wait to fish it once it warms up a little bit when I'll have a real chance of hooking in to something. I just hope nobody sees me because I'll be doing C&R only, and I'd imagine a pond like that could be depleted fairly quickly. :rolleyes:

K
Kevinb5688
I have fished a private 14 acre gravel pit pond for 5 years and the biggest bass i caught was 6.5lbs but the pond averaged 3.5 lbs with 20 fish a day not uncomon.
I figure between me and the 4 other people that fish it we caught and released thousands of big bass in the first 3 years. The last two years the land owner wanted us to keep some for his family.
After the first year we probably kept one hundred bass, and it was the first time i have seen baby bass after the spawn. I hope it will help the fish grow larger, they will deffenitly not have as much competition for food.
There is a small 3 acre pond next to it that i pulled an 8 lb bass out of, but you can fish it hard all day and get only a few fish if your lucky. Its crazy how the enviroment and number of fish can effect their growth limitations.

C
colbypearson
Kevinb5688 said:
I have fished a private 14 acre gravel pit pond for 5 years and the biggest bass i caught was 6.5lbs but the pond averaged 3.5 lbs with 20 fish a day not uncomon.
I figure between me and the 4 other people that fish it we caught and released thousands of big bass in the first 3 years. The last two years the land owner wanted us to keep some for his family.
After the first year we probably kept one hundred bass, and it was the first time i have seen baby bass after the spawn. I hope it will help the fish grow larger, they will deffenitly not have as much competition for food.
There is a small 3 acre pond next to it that i pulled an 8 lb bass out of, but you can fish it hard all day and get only a few fish if your lucky. Its crazy how the enviroment and number of fish can effect their growth limitations.
yep a lot of times the less the population the bigger the size, i fish a spot that i may only get one bite in a week or even a month but when the fish bites its almost always over 4lbs, and sometimes i can go stick a few 6+lbrs on back to back trips, but they are real picky and take a long time to get to know.

T
Team CF
Scale samples off of a 6lb largemouth here in Oregon it was 8. Scale sample off of a 4lb smallie I think it was 11. A lot varies on forage and size of forage. (trout=bigger bass) The health of your fish starts at the bottom of the food chain. ;)

C
colbypearson
Team CF said:
Scale samples off of a 6lb largemouth here in Oregon it was 8. Scale sample off of a 4lb smallie I think it was 11. A lot varies on forage and size of forage. (trout=bigger bass) The health of your fish starts at the bottom of the food chain. ;)

bottom of the food chain is huge, thats why half of our lakes in s. oregon are stunted.....

K
Kevinb5688
The gravel pits i fish are awsome because there is 8 ponds, one 14 acres the rest 2-8 acres. And as they dig new pits it gives me and my buddies chances to "experiment".
So far one pond has trout with bass, one we put in 300 crawdads and 10 bass. They both multiplied like crazy. One has bass, bluegill, and perch. ( that pond has the biggest bass), and the big pond already had bass, perch, bluegill, carp, and catfish. The big pond bothers me because there are a ton of carp that get 30 lbs and no matter what i do they thrive.

All in all the ponds with trout and crawfish are easiest to catch bass but the get to an average of 2.5 lbs.
The big pond averages 3.5 lbs
And the pond with perch and bluegill is very hard to fish but usually the bass we catch are 5 to 6.5 lbs.
They dug two new ponds this year and in one we only put bass in it for now, i dont know what to try in those. Any ideas? Remember it is very hard to get trout in any numbers in the ponds.

T
tomriker
im glad there's no carp in our pond. there's bluegill perch catfish and crappie and all the bass are stunted 4-5 pounders that we catch all the time

Top Bottom