Great Deschutes trip

T
Throbbit _Shane
Wow nice job catching a bull trout!!!! great pictures guys, looks like yall had a blast :D

E
eggs
That's the only pic as we didn't want it out of the water to long but it was for sure a char.. and the fins were more clear looking then yellow as the pic looks which I think has to do with fish color of greenish yellowish brown.. I actually asked the guys if it was a pike and they looked at me like I was crazy and said it was bull.. is there even pikes in the river?? I have only heard of them in the lakes.. there are no lakes where we were..

Last edited:
T
troutmasta
eggs said:
That's the only pic as we didn't want it out of the water to long but it was for sure a char.. and the fins were more clear looking then yellow as the pic looks which I think has to do with fish color of greenish yellowish brown.. I actually asked the guys if it was a pike and they looked at me like I was crazy and said it was bull.. is there even pikes in the river?? I have only heard of them in the lakes.. there are no lakes where we were..
WOW.......WOW......im defenetly green.

T
the_intimidator03
Eggs, Just the jaw structure and the fin tint are what gave me the idea of squawfish/northern pikeminnow. I would google northern pikeminnow and bull trout seperately and look at the pictures to draw your conclusions since you have seen and held the fish, Also another possibility is mountain whitefish however it never rang a bell for me cause i didn't see anything on it to make me think such.

As far as pikes in a river... Columbia, Umpqua, willamette all have the northern pike minnow in their systems as a few other rivers im sure as well, The columbia is the only one with a bounty on them. Let me know what you figure out by cross referencing some pictures from google. I want to know it just isn't me that thinks its a northern pikeminnow.

M
metalfisher76
the_intimidator03 said:
Eggs, Just the jaw structure and the fin tint are what gave me the idea of squawfish/northern pikeminnow. I would google northern pikeminnow and bull trout seperately and look at the pictures to draw your conclusions since you have seen and held the fish, Also another possibility is mountain whitefish however it never rang a bell for me cause i didn't see anything on it to make me think such.

As far as pikes in a river... Columbia, Umpqua, willamette all have the northern pike minnow in their systems as a few other rivers im sure as well, The columbia is the only one with a bounty on them. Let me know what you figure out by cross referencing some pictures from google. I want to know it just isn't me that thinks its a northern pikeminnow.

It`s a bull trout in spawn colors. I see yellow spots just above it`s head.

E
eggs
Honestly I could careless if it is a bull trout or pike.. it was a fun/different fish to catch... but do beieve it was a bull in spawning colors as metal said..

It was an awesome fishing trip we will have to have one again sometime..

L
lilsalmon
It was an excellent time and the excitement of you getting that fish was awesome even though I was in the water a ways down. You guys all did great...I only got 3 but it is all good. Definitely want to do that again...on the Crooked.

O
OnTheFly
eggs said:
Honestly I could careless if it is a bull trout or pike.. it was a fun/different fish to catch... but do beieve it was a bull in spawning colors as metal said..

It was an awesome fishing trip we will have to have one again sometime..

.....And may I add that eggs transitioned from bait and hardware to slinging a fly line overnight. Bull Trout or not I think he had pretty good day.

E
eggs
it was a great day and awesome first fly trip! just need to work on some of the different casts and presentations..