Great day at St. Louis (pics)

P
PNW Sam
Went out to St Louis yesterday after I saw they just released a bunch of brooders. Thought I might be able to hook one, but at the least just have a good time and catch a few fish. The weather was GREAT, after about noon it cleared up and the sun came out and it stayed clear until dark.

Arrived at my spot at about 9, then rigged up my salmon rod. I was planning on rigging up my 5.5 foot untralight with 4lb leader with a powerbait off the bottom setup. Decided since there is a chance of brooders I should probably just use my bigger rod. Tied on a heavy swivel, 3 barrel weights, and a size 14 treble hook on a 30 inch 8lb leader. After about an hour and 45 minutes of nadda, I decided to reel in and recast. Brought my bait in, it still was good, so I chucked it out directly in front of me. Reeled up to the weight, put some tension on my line, set my drag down and turned my clicker on, and I feel a little tap, so I picked the rod up, turned my drag up, and started reeling very slowly. Kept feeling very subtle tug, tap, brushing, tap, tap, so I figured some little 10 incher had my bait. YANK! set the hook, and it felt like I hooked a boat. The fish went crazy, my heavy action rod bent almost in half, this is a BIG fish! Never felt anything like that, and I've caught some Chinook and lots of sturgeon. So I just kept reeling, then the fish jumped completely out of the water - it had to be well in to the 30-inch range. Fish dives, thrashes wildly, and my reel snapped out of the reel seat on my rod. I was shocked. Checked my reel before I started to make sure it was completely tight, and this is a brand new rod. Tried to put the reel back in and the fish pulled it out before I got it tight. So by this time I just decided to hold the reel and try to run the fish up the bank. Then the line went slack. The fish shot up right next to the bank, in under a foot of water, then took off down the bank. As soon as it hit the end of the slack line, pop, snapped off my leader. Intense.

So after that little fiasco I was pretty pumped. Just so happened to have some heavy zip ties in my pack so I put my reel back on securely. Ended up catching a couple little trout, 11 and 10.5 inches. Besides all the trash it was a great day! Now some pics.

Lol I just noticed that stuff in the drain. Eww. :rolleyes:

I know that catching a brooder, or in my case hooking a brooder is nothing to brag about, but dang that was a great fight!

Last edited by a moderator:
B
bigsteel
looks like an excellent trip sam,,nothing wrong with fighting a brooder,they are great on light tackle!!!!!

thanks for sharing

P
PNW Sam
Haha yeah I can't wait to go back and try to hook up with another one.

On another note, has anyone ever seen a fish try to eat a bird...? This was the most unbelievable thing I've probably ever seen. These two little birds were flying around together and they kept swooping really close to the water. I started watching them, and one of them started flying right on the top of the water, and a big fish (assuming it was a brooder) tried to strike at the bird as it was FLYING, and it kind of skimmed along the surface trying to get this bird for about 6 feet. I wish I had it on video or something. It was crazy lol.

H
Hendo30
Thanks for sharing, great story..you had my attention the entire time wonder what you were going to pull up out of the water..lol..glad you got some fish evn thought it was the fatboy.

L
lilsalmon
nice report....good job

F
fishsticks
What pond are the trout in

T
the_intimidator03
i believe they were released in #3 and #6.
sounds like it was a great trip

P
PNW Sam
Like the intimidator said, the trout get stocked in ponds 3 and 6. They recently put in 150 brooders divided between 3 and 6, but there have been no recent stockings of smaller fish. I went out on Monday and got nothing the whole day. Not even a bite. I'm a-thinking that the ponds are pretty much fished out for the time being.

Hopefully they stock the ponds again this winter with something other than brooders, because I'm not going out there just for a 4 year old pellethead that tastes like moldy foot.

T
TTFishon
Sweet report and nice fish! I saw a big bass come completely out of the water for a bird once. Are there bass in those ponds?

T
the_intimidator03
ted there are warm water species in most if not all the 7 ponds at st louis ponds.

T
TTFishon
the_intimidator03 said:
ted there are warm water species in most if not all the 7 ponds at st louis ponds.

Then it was more than likely a big ole bass following that bird.

D
Drew9870
TTFishon said:
Then it was more than likely a big ole bass following that bird.

Time to start shadow casting a tweety bird fly, probably not a hard pattern considering one would probably be using feathers, hell, wrap the whole bird on the hook lol, wait, that wouldn't be fly fishing since it would be live bait :D.

T
TTFishon
There was a guy on here a while back trying to sell some bird baits. I'm pretty sure some of the bass folks bought some.

P
PNW Sam
Hah, very interesting!

Never thought that it could have been a bass. Didn't give them a thought since the water has cooled down so much.

However, I would love to see someone catch a bass on a bird fly, that would be hilarious lol.

T
Thuggin4Life
Brooder fishing can be fun just don't eat them.

P
PNW Sam
Yeah, they taste like SH%#. I caught one when I was like 8 in Walter Wirth that was like 8 pounds and it tasted like fishy rubber. C&R for me lol.