Grandpa's coming to Oregon to fish with grandson

P
pap101
I am from Indiana , my 8yr old grandson moved to Eugene. I will be traveling to Oregon several times ,and would like to continue fishing with my grandboy. I fish for bass and panfish in Indiana. I have very limited knowledge for trout and salmon. Any advise on local places to bank fish or places to rent boats for lakes , and how to go about starting him out with trout, exp/vibrax maybe. He likes to bass fish any places a novice of your waters could fish for bass. thanks for all replies ,see you on the water.

Last edited:
T
tomriker
if you don't mine a little drive out of eugene. clear lake is a really fun place to go, they don't allow motorized boats and you can rent rowboats. its a lot of fun and it's stocked with trout too.

Q
qwapaw
How old is your Grandson? I take my Grandaughter to J C Pond and she does will for a 5 year old. Let me know through a PM if you need info for there. Good Luck, Keep those kid fishing, Qwapaw

P
pap101
thanks for all your help . I will look into it. I got 2 responses from my question thank you.

Last edited:
P
pap101
No ,I dont mind a road trip. thanks a lot I will check it out.

C
chrisohm
You should look into Detroit Lake. They have two places to rent boats and plenty of bank access but most lakes are surely a boat show. If you go into the Breitenbush River, North Fork Santiam, Tumble Creek or French Creek from the lake you can find better bank access and possibly more fish activity. You might think about Fern Ridge Reservoir or Green Peter Reservoir. Most of these lakes are near Eugene, still a bit of a drive but it would be the experience with your grandson. You might just like the bass and panfish these lakes hold. You have 5 decent tackle shops and Angler's Book Supply (wholesale only but I am sure you could send them an e-mail). You might be surprised what some book junkies have locked in their noggins and it is always good to ask questions around tackle stores. You can trade stories and get good info from the locals.

M
Moosebonsai
The Muscatatuck River, for largemouth and smallmouth bass, and maybe channel catfish, is a most grand place to take the young man! … in my humble opinion.