GPS questions

B
bakercity
I hope this is the correct forum page for my questions regarding GPS. I am going to buy a GPS to use in my 19' Blue Water but want to also use it on my UTV and my pick-up. Been trying to hold the price to $300 range. It seems Garmin is getting high marks. I have been looking at the E-TREX 20. Any suggestions? Thanks

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
welcome to OFF!

I have a Garmin Oregon 450T that I got about 2 years ago, love it and price has been dropping on this model, I use it for hiking and have RAM mounts to use it in our 16" Alumicraft and my Hobie PA12. Long battery life, great screen and comes loaded with basic topos for the whole country, then you can buy and load it with more detailed topos for areas you want...Garmin just introduced a new Oregon model that has the super good topos preloaded but it is more $$$$....roger

F
fishtales
I bought an orange e-trex 20 last year for hiking. I believe it came loaded with a "very basic" map. I bought a Hunting Oregon Map at the same time to upgrade the current map.

I will say that I have yet to get lost and I have been able to find set point out in the middle of nowhere when using it (there are also a lot of features on it that I do not use or have a need for). I also use it on the boat to mark special spots I like to visit for hunting or fish.

One think that I do not like about the mapping I use on it is that it does not always show the name of the logging road/gravel roads, so I have to rely on the car nav or another portable Garmin nav. This is frustrating sometimes because I will plan a trip out in advance (at home looking at a paper map) but once I get on the roads I'm using the e trex 20 to track my path and the other nav to make sure I am on the right roads. So getting the right map is essential.

B
bakercity
rogerdodger said:
welcome to OFF!

I have a Garmin Oregon 450T that I got about 2 years ago, love it and price has been dropping on this model, I use it for hiking and have RAM mounts to use it in our 16" Alumicraft and my Hobie PA12. Long battery life, great screen and comes loaded with basic topos for the whole country, then you can buy and load it with more detailed topos for areas you want...Garmin just introduced a new Oregon model that has the super good topos preloaded but it is more $$$$....roger

Thanks, sounds like the OREGON may be a better option than the e-trex 20.

B
bakercity
fishtales said:
I bought an orange e-trex 20 last year for hiking. I believe it came loaded with a "very basic" map. I bought a Hunting Oregon Map at the same time to upgrade the current map.

I will say that I have yet to get lost and I have been able to find set point out in the middle of nowhere when using it (there are also a lot of features on it that I do not use or have a need for). I also use it on the boat to mark special spots I like to visit for hunting or fish.

One think that I do not like about the mapping I use on it is that it does not always show the name of the logging road/gravel roads, so I have to rely on the car nav or another portable Garmin nav. This is frustrating sometimes because I will plan a trip out in advance (at home looking at a paper map) but once I get on the roads I'm using the e trex 20 to track my path and the other nav to make sure I am on the right roads. So getting the right map is essential.

Thanks...I sure don't want to buy two units. It sounds like the OREGON 450T may be a better way to go. Thanks again.