Good quality line?

M
mikeredding
22# Chinook, 8# mono. Need I say anymore?!:lol:

J
joesnuffy
I use 12# mono main line and 8-10# mono leader for salmon steelhead.

for trout fishing i use 6#mono mainline and 2-4# leader.

F
FishSchooler
Raincatcher said:
Hawk;
That sounds like a plan. I have also hooked onto the rear bumper and walked away with my rod over my shoulder. After 100 yards,I turn around and start walking back and reeling in. It's kind of like not having an unexpected new arrival into the family,I'd rather prevent it than deal with it. :pray: :dance: Be safe.
Barb

I've wanted to something like that but the problem is what if the neighbors see me... :shock:;)

M
mikeredding
FishSchooler said:
I've wanted to something like that but the problem is what if the neighbors see me... :shock:;)

They'd call the medics to have you sent in for a psych evaluation:D

H
Hawk
Raincatcher said:
Hawk;
That sounds like a plan. I have also hooked onto the rear bumper and walked away with my rod over my shoulder. After 100 yards,I turn around and start walking back and reeling in. It's kind of like not having an unexpected new arrival into the family,I'd rather prevent it than deal with it. :pray: :dance: Be safe.
Barb

You want to have the bare line with nothing attached, in the current behind the boat to take the twist out.

You could also stand on the bank of a fairly wide creek with mild current. Feed your line off your reel into the current, then reel the line back in keeping it taut after letting the line trail in the current 5-10 minutes.

F
FishSchooler
Hawk said:
You want to have the bare line with nothing attached, in the current behind the boat to take the twist out.

You could also stand on the bank of a fairly wide creek with mild current. Feed your line off your reel into the current, then reel the line back in keeping it taut after letting the line trail in the current 5-10 minutes.

This must be the first post you havent done without................................................:D:lol:;).................................... I will try that when I have room.

S
skyhammer
Here is my take on choosing a line.
First off, you don't choose a line based solely on its lb. test rating, there is such a difference on the lb. test rating of various lines as to make a lb. test rating almost useless.
Many companies make very different lines of the same lb. test, but the breaking strength can vary by as much as 100% or more.
As an example, Berkley Sensation in 10lb will break near 10lb, but Berkley XT in the same weight will break above 15lb.
One of the main reasons is the difference in line diameter of the two, XT is much thicker than Sensation.
Go to a store and look at the differences in diameter of the different lines of the lb. test, there is a large variation.That explains why you can put say 200 yards of of Sensation on your reel and only 150 yards of XT.
On a spinning reel memory is a large factor in what line I choose. I try to choose a line with the largest diameter in a given lb. test with the least amount of memory.
The amount of stretch is also consideration. Stretch can be a good or bad thing, depending upon your fishing method. If I am jigging at 100' or more, I want minimal stretch to aid in setting the hook. If I am spinner/spoon fishing or back trolling plugs I want a little more stretch, unless I am in tight quarters and need to set the hook in a tough Kings mouth, then braid, with little stretch will aid in hook setting.
Maxima is tried and proven line and many guides use it, as it helps compensate for the inexperience of many of their clients.
It has a large diameter for its lb. test rating and is very abrasion resistant.
It also has more memory than most lines and this is especially not a good thing on a spinning reel.
Maxima also stretches more than nearly any line. Once a line has been stretched, it will never be the same, the more a line stretches the worse the out come.
Tie off 10lb ultragreen to a post, let out 20 yards, lock the spool and keep walking. You will probably be able to go another 10 yards until it is nearly ready to break. By this time you are probably putting close to 20lbs. of pressure on this 10lb test line.
Now take the pressure off the line, you have just made yourself another few yards of line, the line won't rebound to its original length. Maxima is one of the worst for this, as are other mono lines that above average in diameter for their lb. test rating.
Casting is another problem. If you don't cast much, you may not notice. But, if you go to Alaska every year as I do and float down rivers for 30 days spinner/ spoon fishing, you will find that you are working to hard.
After making 500-1000 casts every day, you will find that a little thinner diameter line, with less memory, will cast easier and farther with a lot less effort.
A thicker diameter line will also absorb more water, becoming heavier as the day goes on. This reduces casting distance, increases effort and effects how you spinner/ spoon reacts in the water column.
That is why I like braid for back trolling plugs, you are fishing the same 50' of line all day. The braid will pull the plugs the same way from the first minute to the last. Mono will get heavy and the plug will gradually deeper and wiggle less as it is fighting a heavier line as the day goes on. I usually have to whack of 50' of line several times a day when using mono to pull plugs.
Using something such a Blakemores Reel Magic or a silicone spray will help water proof your line and make it more supple and increase you casting distance with less effort. Some silicone sprays have additives that will eat mono so be careful.

Last edited:
D
Drew9870
I went to Sportsmans Warehouse a few days ago and got two of my reels re-spooled, I got 6lb P-Line on one reel, and 4lb P-Line on the other, for :shock: 6 DOLLARS :shock:, I thought it would be like 10 bucks.

I have used 14lb P-Line on an Abu-Garcia reel, and I have never had a problem with it (but never thought anything spectacular about it either). Back to the point. So the guy at sportsmans asked me if I had any preferences for line, I said just something thats strong and not visible, and he grabbed the P-Line.

Right after I got my reels spooled I was off to the Willy, I have never had such a good experience with fishing line in my life. P-Line feels like silk and it is the smoothest casting line I have ever encountered, I always test my knots after I tie them, probably atleast a ten pound pull (or more), and I haven't had one knot fail after I put the P-Line on.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone

Does braid work for all fishing situations? I remember putting some ridiculously huge diameter line on when I first got back into fishing. What a nightmare! I have not tried braid yet,but am switching at least a couple reels to braid this week. Brand preference?
Thanks for all the information to everyone who has contributed to this thread. The knowledge base on this forum is amazing.
Be safe.
Barb

A
ArcticAmoeba
Braid is great given the right circumstances. For sure. Lik efloat fishing, backbouncing, or vertical jigging for instance. But for your basic drift fish set-up, mono is going to treat you much better. Braid does work well to drift fish, or throw spinners with a 6' mono shock leader. But I like Tuff Line's 50 lb. Salt, and Pepper for Backbouncing, and I have a 20 lb. braid on a float reel, and it has been working out very nicely so far. Tuff Line, and Sufix Performance Braid are both great products, and I think you will be happy with them. Look at lots of vartiety though. Braids are all a bit different, even in the same line rating. Some are flat, others are very round, some don't fish well on spinning reels, and some are not meant to be casted out, at all. So a little research at the local sporting goods facitlty is in order I think.

F
FishSchooler
I just got 6000 yds of green 10lb Berkley BIG Game at joes for...... 20 bucks.
The 3000 yd spools of Maxima UG were 60-80 bucks... Please tell me that the big game isn't bad line and that it is very low vis like the UG... :pray:

A
ArcticAmoeba
Lots of my Salmon leaders are 25-40 pound Big Game, especially for B-10. But I have not had the stuff in the 10 lb. That is a lot of line to have around. But if you will use it, it was worth it. Tie up some drift leaders, and load up some spare reel spools, and see how you like it. If anything you could sell people 100-300 yard quantites for cheap. You know, bring your empty spools, and fill 'em for cheaper than it would cost ot buy it new. You could make a killing!

M
Mad dog
Berkley big game! I run it on all my salmon and steelhead gear, good stuff! I run 25-30 lb. mainline on my salmon rods and 12 lb. on my steelhead gear. I never go any lighter than 8 lb. flourocarbon for any salmon or steelhead.

Springer caught on 12lb. big game leader on steelhead tackle....a lighter leader would be suicide for springers.
SANY0480.jpg
Summer chrome on a 12 lb. leader.
SANY0445.jpg
A nice hatchery at 1st light on a 12 lb. leader
SANY0475.jpg
2 summer runs at 2:00 pm on a bright sunny day in late july, caught within minutes of each other on 8 lb., bait and hook size are probably more of a factor than leader in my opinion.
steelhead004-1.jpg
steelhead008-1.jpg

1aB
Great pics of a beautiful spot! Think you made "Fishschooler" glad for his line choice.

Is that a lil' pink jig stuck in the salmon's eye socket?

F
FishSchooler
Thing is, where do I get spare reel spools (that will fit my reels)? I dont want to keep switching back betwen lines every month, cause the 12 lb UG is really good besides the twist I put in it. :rolleyes: Its strong enough for most steelhead, and is invisible enough for trout. It caught more trout than 8 lb clear line! (both had 18 in 6 lb flouro leaders)
I need a way to take out the twist, sometimes when I open the bail...... Boing! Out comes 5 yards. It's managable though. And when I get some slack, it all twists up.

Oh yeah, I just bought 3000 yds of 12 lb mono trilene xl smooth cast. :rolleyes: :lol: I have this in 10 lb and it hasnt caught me anything yet, cause all I use it for is steelhead... which I havent landed. I know it was a good buy, because it costed 4 bucks! How is the line though?

Last edited:
D
doublestrike
The line preference debate goes on and on and on. My choice has always been Ande. At first it was because of the cost, and then I found how well it works. Twists are at a minimum, partly because of the line and I always use ball bearing swivels. I recently started using 10lb Power Pro, and like it a lot, I have found a drawback though. The line is so slick that my (after market) line counter will not count it accurately, so I have measured it out with pulls and tied a little tiny piece of 2lb leader there. I get to the favorite spot every time. I may look into bobber stops too, that way I can move it if I find another favorite spot

Troutski
Troutski
Floracarbon...

Floracarbon...

Pure Fluorocarbon line, I started using it for leader material and little by little I have switched from Mono to either Fluorocarbon or Braided depending on the application..

Chuck

M
Mad dog
1aB said:
Great pics of a beautiful spot! Think you made "Fishschooler" glad for his line choice.

Is that a lil' pink jig stuck in the salmon's eye socket?

Secret double corky rig! :lol: The corkies just slid down the leader a bit!

F
Fishtopher
Thats a pretty big springer dude! Nice fish.

M
Mad dog
For me for the price Berkley big Game is the best value, especially in a spin casting situation. It's pretty low-vis, it's tough as hell, and best of all it's affordable.

I run 12 lb. leader for all of my early low water fall salmon fishing, to me salmon in particular do not seem as leader shy as steelhead or trout. And early fall is usually the lowest, clearest water of the year.

Coho caught on side drifting rods rigged with straight 12 lb. big game.
steelhead026.jpg
steelhead022.jpg
Pretty cool color on this buck.
steelhead013.jpg
steelhead015.jpg