Getting out on my own.

F
FG_Fishing8
I've been steelhead fishing a few times in my life, but always with adults to help me through everthing. I've caught one steelhead in my number of trips. I'm looking to soak up as much knowledge as I can so I can go out on my own and be successful. I live in FG, outside of portland, and I'll spend most of my time on the Wilson.

J
Jay Herb
FG-Fishing8,
welcome to OFF, Iam new here too and I like going out fishing by my self but some times I like a friend. Good luck on your fishing, Jay

M
Mad dog
Oh Damn....challenged right off the bat!

Welcome to OFF, I don't know where FG is so I don't know what help I can afford....But I'll try!

You talking winter fish?

Reactions: eugene1
S
steelhead_slayer
Its always safer to fish with someone else, but I fish alone often. I have fished the Wilson a little bit for salmon, but not steelhead yet. I'm very tempted but the 4 hour drive has stopped me so far. there is a lot of nice bobber water there.

F
FG_Fishing8
Ya, that's what I'll be doing the majority of.

F
FG_Fishing8
For fall chinook?
That's what I've been told to do, bobber and jig.
It's not necessarily fishing alone, it's learning all of the stuff that I'll need so I won't need a seasoned fishermnen with me.
About a 45 minute drive for me before I start stopping.

E
eugene1
Yeah, welcome to OFF. I'm guessing your out of Forest grove? Lots of good water flowing to Tbay. At one point, I was wishing I could finagle a job around Tbay, but I don't make cheese.

Best,

F
FG_Fishing8
steelhead_slayer said:
Its always safer to fish with someone else, but I fish alone often. I have fished the Wilson a little bit for salmon, but not steelhead yet. I'm very tempted but the 4 hour drive has stopped me so far. there is a lot of nice bobber water there.

For fall chinook?
That's what I've been told to do, bobber and jig.
It's not necessarily fishing alone, it's learning all of the stuff that I'll need so I won't need a seasoned fishermnen with me.
About a 45 minute drive for me before I start stopping.

F
FG_Fishing8
Mad dog said:
Oh Damn....challenged right off the bat!

Welcome to OFF, I don't know where FG is so I don't know what help I can afford....But I'll try!

You talking winter fish?

I plan on doing a lot of winter fishing.

L
Leon Fish
scouted out a few spots on the Wilson while camping w some friends in TSF. Looks like a great place to fish.

S
steelhead_slayer
Yeah I was fishing for fall chinook. Bobber and eggs did the trick. Have heard jigs work well also.

S
steelhead_slayer
There its a Wilson fishing map in the archives

M
Metz84
Bobber a jigs works well. Also try drift fishing corky's with yarn. Caught my biggest winter steelhead last year on the Wilson drift fishing yarn and corky combo. For salmon, egg shrimp combo drift fishing and bobber fishing.

F
FG_Fishing8
Metz84 said:
Bobber a jigs works well. Also try drift fishing corky's with yarn. Caught my biggest winter steelhead last year on the Wilson drift fishing yarn and corky combo. For salmon, egg shrimp combo drift fishing and bobber fishing.

I've tried bobber and jig this summer, does bobber and jig work for winters also?
How do these look? Just threw some stuff together... IMG_1477.jpg
Go Beavs!

M
Metz84
Bobber and jigs work great for winters. The nightmare pattern killed it last winter. And those look like they will work. It's all about how you present it. You want a natural drift. To fast or to slow will most likely make them not want it.

F
FG_Fishing8
How do I get the best presentation?

M
Metz84
You want it to drift with the current. In the winter in most cases the steelhead are traveling in water that gives them the least resistance. Due to the amount of water in the river and color to the water. Last winter was tricky cause there wasn't much rain so I went to summer tactics due to the clear low water conditions.

F
FG_Fishing8
steelhead_slayer said:
Yeah I was fishing for fall chinook. Bobber and eggs did the trick. Have heard jigs work well also.

Any tips for the fall chinook on the Wilson?