Frst weekend of bow season

C
capblack
i hiked until dark tuesday, only saw 1 elk track in the road, hiked around friday night looking for some more, and found where a herd had been hanging out, then looked for them saturday morning and sunday morning. only saw about 10 quail and a little bunny. its pretty dry out, and longview fibre is closed to public entry, but weyerhauser is still open to non motorized vehicles, or in my case, hiking boots. so how did everyone elses first weekend of bow season go? Brian

C
cookshot
Went out after deer last weekend. Me and my buddy had a spotting contest and on opening day alone I spotted 75 and he spotted 69. We snuck on a three point early sat morning, didn't get close enough, snuck on a nice fork, and my buddy got in close, but couldn't get a clear shot, got close to a big 4x4 but couldn't get closer than 70, and again first light second day got about 70 away from a three point but couldn't shoot. It was a lot of adrenaline for no deer :( Saw a pretty cool spike with one horn that pointed forward.

J
joesnuffy
I got a deer opening morning...... It was on the highway and I shot it with my truck :(
Not too much damage to the bumper but the deer is another story.

I hunted my butt off this weekend. Only saw one Bull (4 or 5 point). Nothing is making any noise or responding to calls over here at the moment. passed up on 4 small bucks last night.

It's been fun!

C
cookshot
That sucks! What are the antelope like over there? My buddy is headed that way for antelope next weekend. Antelope with a bow sounds like a real challenge to me.

J
joesnuffy
Antelope with a bow is crazy tough. It depends on what unit he got as to how tough it is going to be.

S
slimyguts
Hunted trask unit Saturday morning (only 20 min up the road from my house). Heard crashing in the brush comming to the clearing. Heart pumpin thinkin how I could get closer to the elk when......I hear a chainsaw comming from the same direction. It was loggers starting to clearcut my favorite spot. Sunday I left the car at 4:30 am and got back to the car at 11:45. Stopped for two 10 min breaks. Only have an elk tag so ofcourse I was within 15 yds. of a 4x5 blacktail. He was snortin like crazy. I was hidin behind small firs. Squeeze the hoochie momma and he would snort and get all mad. Did it about 4 times before he got up and walked off. Saw no elk and very few tracks, but it was opening weekend. Always gets better on the second week.

C
cookshot
Wow, thats tough, I only got a deer tag so I'm sure I'll get up on a 4x5 elk this weekend...

C
Chrome_Chaser
Idaho and La Grande Hunting

Idaho and La Grande Hunting

Didn't go opening weekend due to work. So we took off to McCall Idaho Labor Day weekend. First day out, had a shot at a big 5x6 bull 70 yds. broad side. About a 270 bull, not quite big enough. Turned him down. My son and I went out the next morning (Monday) to the same area and got into a herd. I bugled and the herd bull just chuckled real loud. Dropped to my knees, knocked an arrow, poked my head up above the bush and got busted. Called him back and for 15 minutes we just called back and forth until he took off.
Broke camp and headed to La Grande. Did the evening hunt and got 4 bulls to answer in a ravine with 30 minutes left of day light. Headed back this morning and got 3 to answer. one came in to my call and again i spooked it.:( heading home now. Going back for two weeks this coming weekend.

S
steelhead_slayer
i want to get into bow hunting. i have a bow(pretty much bare),arrows, a release, and a good spot. do i need anything else?

C
cookshot
That's how I started out. I would take it to an archery shop and have them take a look at it, depending on how old it is you'll likely need a new sight and arrow rest, who knows. Start practicing.

C
capblack
two weekends ago, i found a lot of very fresh elk sign, but only got close enough to her some cows chirping a few hundred yards off. then, saturday morning i got out of my truck to look over a large clearcut with a draw in the middle and heard a bull chuckle from up the road, i followed his tracks as quietly as i could up the road to a landing, down a four wheeler trail to another landing, and onto another road and followed it up to the next landing. i finally gave up after i was about 2 miles from my truck, i just wanted to at least get a look at him, but i didn't see much other sign, so im guessing he was a lone bull. maybe next time. Brian

V
viento
steelhead_slayer said:
i want to get into bow hunting. i have a bow(pretty much bare),arrows, a release, and a good spot. do i need anything else?

A friend of mine always kept a sock with flour in it. He tapped it periodically, and observed the flour's travel, and positioned himself on the correct side of a game trail. In areas without a breeze, the flour would rise if the air was warming, so he would hide uphill from the trail. He also would finish the edge of arrowheads using abrasive polish on a fabric buffing wheel. Surgical edges on opening day! He would get on a known active game trail about 90 minutes before first light, and reposition as needed.
Cheers

M
Mike123
viento said:
A friend of mine always kept a sock with flour in it. He tapped it periodically, and observed the flour's travel, and positioned himself on the correct side of a game trail. In areas without a breeze, the flour would rise if the air was warming, so he would hide uphill from the trail. He also would finish the edge of arrowheads using abrasive polish on a fabric buffing wheel. Surgical edges on opening day! He would get on a known active game trail about 90 minutes before first light, and reposition as needed.
Cheers

Yea a snuffer bottle full of flour works well too. Good tip.

C
capblack
primos also thought it was a good idea, they sell them, theyre called primos wind checker i get mine at wholesale sports in salem. its the second most important hunting tool next to my bow, in my opinion. Brian