Focusing on the Deschutes this year

S
spmpdr
So i have lived in CO for about 2 years now and have caught a fish on every river in this area except for the deschutes!!!!( yes even the fall and metolius) so ive decided this year is not going to end without me catching a fish on this gem of a river. So my question is for all you experienced deschutes anglers out there. What are the most common flys for catching rainbows and browns during spring and summer? Also if anyone from around here wants to take me out and show me how its done, id be willing to call in sick to work and buy you a beer!!!;)

S
steelhead_slayer
How are you looking to fish: nymph, dry, wetfly, streamer?

S
spmpdr
steelhead_slayer said:
How are you looking to fish: nymph, dry, wetfly, streamer?[/QUOT

probably nymph or dry possibly streamer though i dont have much experience with those

S
steelhead_slayer
can't go wrong with a prince nymph. most flies will work though in my experience. maybe we can meet up this spring and fish it

S
spmpdr
steelhead_slayer said:
can't go wrong with a prince nymph. most flies will work though in my experience. maybe we can meet up this spring and fish it

That would be sweet, what size prince nymph? Just let me know when you want to fish im already ready already lol!!!

S
steelhead_slayer
Any size, but smaller get you into more fish. Okay I'll get a hold of you when it's good

F
FlyBum
spmpdr said:
probably nymph or dry possibly streamer though i dont have much experience with those

Well, the most productive way for me to catch fish in the Deschutes is to nymph for them. I like to use Princes, Black, Brown, and Golden Stones in size 6-10 fished as the first fly then as a dropper any Pheasant Tail, Caddis, or Copper J pattern in 12-16. This would be a good place to start for patterns. If there is a hatch going off make sure you have some BWO's for this time of year. Later will come some March Brown, PMD's PED's, and the Big Boys. Make sure you pick your days this time of year on the D as the spots are limited and the bug activity will be less with cooler water temps.

Good Luck :)

S
steelhead_slayer
FlyBum said:
Well, the most productive way for me to catch fish in the Deschutes is to nymph for them. I like to use Princes, Black, Brown, and Golden Stones in size 6-10 fished as the first fly then as a dropper any Pheasant Tail, Caddis, or Copper J pattern in 12-16. This would be a good place to start for patterns. If there is a hatch going off make sure you have some BWO's for this time of year. Later will come some March Brown, PMD's PED's, and the Big Boys. Make sure you pick your days this time of year on the D as the spots are limited and the bug activity will be less with cooler water temps.

very good advice

S
spmpdr
;)
FlyBum said:

Thanks for the info, Looking forward to getting into a few nice fish this year. I saw that your in the bend area as well , if you ever need someone to tag along on a fishing expedition ... just let me know.... I would like to see some of those secret patterns you talked about creating in another thread;)