Fly fishing only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C
chris61182
colbypearson said:
more pure* not most pure...... in my opinion over all compared to bait fishing, lure fishing etc....

Sorry I changed my post out from under you. My point was that the measurement for purity is not commonly thought about, in which case bait fishing on a cane pole is probably the most pure with out having to resort to nets or weirs.

C
chris61182
So in the spirit of answering the original post, I searched the 2011 regulations for you, and there are 11 references for "fly angling only" between 8 bodies of water...
1.) North Umpqua River from fly area boundary above Rock Creek, upstream to Soda Springs Dam
2.) Gold Lake
3.) North Fork of Middle Fork and tributaries, Willamette River
4.) Davis Lake
5.) Fall River
6.) Hosmer Lake
7.) Metolius River
8.) Sparks Lake

From that list it sounds like people have already recommended the Umpqua as having salmon/steelhead. Good luck!

Last edited:
T
troutramp
Whoa. WOW everone getting all worked up over a question about fly only water? I flyfish I am not an elitist just because I flyfish I have seen elitist flyfishing types but I will say that is a minority. I have worked in two different flyshops and guided in my home state so I have met a lot of flyfishermen. I spent over a hundred days on the water this last year . So long story short I have met lots of fishermen. In AZ we had water that was fly or "artificial lure" only and or catch and release or reduced limit, but none I can recall that was fly only. I dont kknow enough yet about oregon waters to come to a determination about weather fly only water is "fair" or necesary, but I can tell you this from experience if you try to stereotype a group of people based on the way the fish or what method they prefer you will be wrong about a lot of people and miss out on opprotunities to learn new things that might help you catch more fish. I fly fish for bass a lot, and I have learned a lot from gear guys, I believe flyfishing for bass is in its infancy so I feel there is much to learn.

Troutski
Troutski
troutramp said:
Whoa. WOW everone getting all worked up over a question about fly only water? I flyfish I am not an elitist just because I flyfish I have seen elitist flyfishing types but I will say that is a minority. I have worked in two different flyshops and guided in my home state so I have met a lot of flyfishermen. I spent over a hundred days on the water this last year . So long story short I have met lots of fishermen. In AZ we had water that was fly or "artificial lure" only and or catch and release or reduced limit, but none I can recall that was fly only. I dont kknow enough yet about oregon waters to come to a determination about weather fly only water is "fair" or necesary, but I can tell you this from experience if you try to stereotype a group of people based on the way the fish or what method they prefer you will be wrong about a lot of people and miss out on opprotunities to learn new things that might help you catch more fish. I fly fish for bass a lot, and I have learned a lot from gear guys, I believe flyfishing for bass is in its infancy so I feel there is much to learn.

Oh, sure be all grown up and level headed...:clap:

Chuck

E
Eastcoastborn
Thanks for responding to my question, Chris.

H
halibuthitman
this thread was so violently hi-jacked I expected patty Hurst to Land the thing in Beruit... flyfisherman elitist.... he he he, 1 in 5 guys on any given blue ribbon managed fishery in the U.S.. can even name all the flies in his box... and even less can cast... he he he.. elitist....

E
Eastcoastborn
Nice. Thats what i am talking about. Fly fishing is about understanding the entire ecosystem ad how fish survive there. Not just chucking a corkey and piece of yarn at a fish to **** him off. No elitism....just the quest and thirst for more knowledge and understanding of nature.

C
chris61182
halibuthitman said:
this thread was so violently hi-jacked I expected patty Hurst to Land the thing in Beruit... flyfisherman elitist.... he he he, 1 in 5 guys on any given blue ribbon managed fishery in the U.S.. can even name all the flies in his box... and even less can cast... he he he.. elitist....

You're confusing elitist, with elite. They're two entirely different things, one is attitude, the other is ability.

O
OnTheFly
Well then, Chris did some homework and came up with a whopping '8' fly fishing only areas out of all other waterways in the state. Hardly enough for bait and gear fishermen to get their panties tied up in a wad. Now...someone mentioned elitist. To me an elitist is somebody who believes to reside in a higher group or intellect. I have never met such a fisherman. I think the animosity between the two fishing groups comes from a number of things. Catch and release seems to be the major one. Most of us grow up being taught how to hook fish and take them home. I know of some people that feel there is no point in fishing if you can't take your fish home. Barbed treble hooks will guarantee this therefore the mindset is to catch your Limit and go have dinner. Wild fish habitat should be regarded as Wild and fishing for them in the most natural way should be imposed. OK...so another point was made regarding trash and a lot has been said about it. All I will add to that will be the fact fly fishermen do not need a lot of material to get the job done. Leader for tippets and flies is about all they carry so the chance of spreading garbage around is next to non existant. I believe that all types of fishermen can co-exist on the same water only if both have the same high respect for the fish and the beautiful areas in which they live.

H
halibuthitman
with the exemption of hunting bows flyrods are by far the most commonly owned but never used piece of equipment a sportsman owns.... 1 in 10 sportmen who start flyfishing will continue on for life, anyone who doesn't believe me can just type flyrod into the search engiene of craigslist. becoming an effective flyfisherman is one of the most difficult undertakings most sportsmen try... and if you succeed you are rewarded with special waters... not by god.. the queen, or lefty kreh... but by the state, The state, t.v, gear manufacturers, forums, art, and modern writers sell it as a better way... a more honorable or sophisticated way to poke a fish in the mouth with a hook and then lose it... Norman Mclain once wrote... " no man who does not know "how" to catch a fish should be able to insult a fish by catching it.... and I agree. In the end Im just a guy standing in a river wearing a funny hat... waving a stick, and if its flyfishing only.. then its "my" river, if I went to colbys bass pond and he said sorry, state says no flyfishing I would borrow a rod from him and move forward with my life... I would let the ditch pickles go if its what he requested and would even try not to swear if he asked me not to.... I wouldn't post later that day that bass fishermen are elitist nascar jacket wearin jerks with funny boats that look like they are half sunk... I would say, fun day.. but I don't think I will go there again becouse I don't like the rules.. reminds me of that little girl who wanted to be a cubscout, but no one told her she couldn't.. they just sued to teach her that acceptance is not something a person need to learn or have... f**** the ACLU just another example of the fact that anytime people who went to college get together in a group... someones gonna get taxed or bullied... my chicken pot pies done so I will end now-

C
colbypearson
OnTheFly said:
Well then, Chris did some homework and came up with a whopping '8' fly fishing only areas out of all other waterways in the state. Hardly enough for bait and gear fishermen to get their panties tied up in a wad. Now...someone mentioned elitist. To me an elitist is somebody who believes to reside in a higher group or intellect. I have never met such a fisherman. I think the animosity between the two fishing groups comes from a number of things. Catch and release seems to be the major one. Most of us grow up being taught how to hook fish and take them home. I know of some people that feel there is no point in fishing if you can't take your fish home. Barbed treble hooks will guarantee this therefore the mindset is to catch your Limit and go have dinner. Wild fish habitat should be regarded as Wild and fishing for them in the most natural way should be imposed. OK...so another point was made regarding trash and a lot has been said about it. All I will add to that will be the fact fly fishermen do not need a lot of material to get the job done. Leader for tippets and flies is about all they carry so the chance of spreading garbage around is next to non existant. I believe that all types of fishermen can co-exist on the same water only if both have the same high respect for the fish and the beautiful areas in which they live.

well put :)

"Catch and release seems to be the major one. Most of us grow up being taught how to hook fish and take them home. I know of some people that feel there is no point in fishing if you can't take your fish home."
thats a fact....... it really sucks when it gets out of hand :mad:

H
halibuthitman
chris61182 said:
You're confusing elitist, with elite. They're two entirely different things, one is attitude, the other is ability.

apparently one of the colledge educated folks I was talking about... Thank you, I will make a note of it in my blackberry-;)

C
chris61182
OnTheFly said:
Well then, Chris did some homework and came up with a whopping '8' fly fishing only areas out of all other waterways in the state. Hardly enough for bait and gear fishermen to get their panties tied up in a wad.

The problem with that is, while it's not in my backyard, it's in someone's backyard. Someone is being kicked off a piece of public land, not because they are causing harm (basis for bait bans), but because someone else doesn't like that they do it differently.

Now...someone mentioned elitist. To me an elitist is somebody who believes to reside in a higher group or intellect. I have never met such a fisherman.

So those posts intentionally conflating lure fishermen with bait fishermen in order to blame them for litter and declining fish populations was what?

I believe that all types of fishermen can co-exist on the same water only if both have the same high respect for the fish and the beautiful areas in which they live.

They absolutely can co-exist, the only thing causing friction is hubris.

O
OnTheFly
chris61182 said:
The problem with that is, while it's not in my backyard, it's in someone's backyard. Someone is being kicked off a piece of public land, not because they are causing harm (basis for bait bans), but because someone else doesn't like that they do it differently.

You missed my point. Do you think all wild trout water should be open for bait and treble hooks?

So those posts intentionally conflating lure fishermen with bait fishermen in order to blame them for litter and declining fish populations was what?

Yeah...some of the comments got out of hand but I think you know what the truth is.

They absolutely can co-exist, the only thing causing friction is hubris.

Hubris? Out of touch with reality? You missed the point again. It's more like education.

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
hubrus... how much is that word worth in scrabble...?:rolleyes:

O
OnTheFly
halibuthitman said:
hubrus... how much is that word worth in scrabble...?:rolleyes:

Nothing if you don't spell it right.:D jk

H
halibuthitman
Ha!!! got me! I stuck a damn u in there... sheesh... being a smart azz should at least include some of the "smart"... dang Miller Highlife

H
halibuthitman
and im not gonna edit and fix it either... I thing its the way God wanted it to be-

O
OnTheFly
halibuthitman said:
and im not gonna edit and fix it either... I thing its the way God wanted it to be-

I 'm going to have to get some of that Miller:D

F
FishFinger
Wow, fair is fair, since smokers are so over taxed paying for many social programs not associated to smoking it's only fair you smelly bait fishermen pay to support fly fishing only waters.
I have to confess the temptation created by you evil bait guys did bring me to the dark side years ago. I would have been happy with the tag elite, but after hanging with true fly fishing elites it made want to puke.

I don't want fly only waters opened to bait, can you imagine my level of contempt were I to see garden hackle out producing my actual hackle!

Oh the humanity or lack there of............. So I do what I can, when I bait fish I leave a trail of trash and debris, when I fly fish I don't, I do have a image to maintain, don't ya know!

(in case something is lost in the translation here, for the record I am being totally sarcastic)

Status
Not open for further replies.