Fly fishing newbie

S
sapo
I haven't fly fished in my entire life, but it seems like a fun and good method for catching trout. Many of you probably fly fish, and I was wondering:
What suggestions do you guys have for a fly fishing setup? I have no idea about the topic and am open to ideas.

I'm looking to spend in the $100-200 range, is that reasonable? I just want to get specific ideas of what I should buy! Thanks!

S
sapo
I found a Redington CT Classic Trout Fly Rod. Reviews online are great, is it a good choice?

M
Mutiny
I've never fished a redington, but I have heard they make decent entry level rods. Sportsman's warehouse has a sale on a 9' 5 weight rod with redington reel, rio weight forward floating line and a case for $139 right now. Sounds like good deal, and definitely the right size and weight setup you want for trout.

S
sapo
Thanks! I'll look into it!

S
sapo
I'm considering buying this, just wondering if there are any other suggestions out there?

S
sapo
Cool, I'll debate between my options right now. Right now I'm leaning towards the Redington because of the cheaper price, but if you give me some good reasons why I should buy the Echo I will rethink. Thanks!

Also, on what does the weight of the reel have to do with anything. I found the exact same rod, one had a 5.0 oz reel and one a 5.7, and the 5.7 was $20 more. What is the reason for this?

W
waco
On fly fishing language, cheaper doesn't mean better!!

brandon4455
brandon4455
echo rods are great so i scond that, but grab that redington ct..they are also sweet rods, great action and easy to cast, i 100% back those rods i fished a 5wt for a season(borrowed) and my best friend has it in a 3wt, stellar rod.. Awesome quality too. the reason they are so cheap is because they are discontinued, so not a bad setup at all. If i had 200 bucks to spend on a setup i would get the redington and spend the rest on flies and tippet

S
sapo
Thanks! That's what I'm gonna do.

T
tightlines
A Redington reel will cost you at least $159.00 dollars

T
tightlines
No but the reel doesn't really have anything to do with catching fish.

T
tightlines
I have fished Redington rod and reel for 45 years, and they are a heck more than an entry level setup. You must be a Orvis man, spend $500 or more on a reel and $750 on a rod just so that gold reel cries out I have spent way too much money on my equipment.

B
bagold53
I would suggest stopping in a Fly shop that has entry level rods. I picked up mine at River City, Dave was able to give me a good breakdown of it. I learned a lot about fly fishing just hanging out at the shop.

T
tightlines
Just Because I just Joined this site doesn't make me a "NEWBiE"

Just Because I just Joined this site doesn't make me a "NEWBiE"

bagold53 said:
I would suggest stopping in a Fly shop that has entry level rods. I picked up mine at River City, Dave was able to give me a good breakdown of it. I learned a lot about fly fishing just hanging out at the shop.

But if you want to show how little you know go rite ahead. The rod and reel you use shows nothing about how well you know how to fish. but I have no time or want to argue with you after fly fishing all over the world for 50(+) so take your overpriced Orvis and Rod and waddle out with your $4000 dollar setup and get a good sunburn not fish..Cmdr. JD Heller

B
bagold53
tightlines said:
But if you want to show how little you know go rite ahead. The rod and reel you use shows nothing about how well you know how to fish. but I have no time or want to argue with you after fly fishing all over the world for 50(+) so take your overpriced Orvis and Rod and waddle out with your $4000 dollar setup and get a good sunburn not fish..Cmdr. JD Heller

Tightlines - my comment was for Sapo who started the thread. I was not commenting on your posts as I do not see any of the questions you seem to be answering. I would never suggest spending more than $150 on any new type of activity. I picked my bug wand up for less than the 150, I mention. I am quite happy with it and other than a new reel as the old spool was not latching onto the reel. Actually fell right into Trilium a couple times on the last OFF gathering there.

S
Socaaron
This post is a year old....and Sapo has been doing pretty well for himself fishing wise(or he only tells us about the good trips...lol!) so it's not worth getting heated about

B
bagold53
Didn't realize that. wasn't really heated for me just clarification. I missed that it was resurrected.

J
Jdangler xD
Oh oh oh let me help :D I have a redington crosswater and a redington voyant. Crosswater is a 5wt, voyant 6wt. I enjoy the heck out of them both. I reccomend the crosswater in a 4/5. I have an okuma slv 4/5 on it and it's great. All around about 200$ with a standard floating line. I wouldn't reccomend spending more than $40 on a trout line if it's a entry setup.
But both redington and Echo I have heard have great warranties and neither are a bad choice. I have never fished an echo but the local fly shop carries them and I like them for the price. Redington with and slv will do your budget well :)

J
Jdangler xD
He said bug wand lol. as far as I've seen and read sapo is a fish whisperer