Fly fishing at Hagg lake

T
Trout
With our spell of warm weather I thought I'd go drop the float tube in at Hagg and try for some bass. I have caught two bass in my life both were large mouth and frankly both scared the hell out of me. More so when I was 12 and just tossing a spoon into a area of a lake covered in lilly pad like things. I can recall that I just could not make myself put my fingers into the bucket mouth. Had to carry that fish back to camp to get some "advise" from dad on how to proceed.

Any recommendations on which flies to toss ? I've got some top water bass bugs and maybe a little mousey fly. I also have a sink-tip line and some wholly buggers.

As to time of day ---- I caught one of the bass around 8 - 9AM and the other was after 3PM.

THANKS

Last edited by a moderator:
Gunga
Gunga
i fly fish at hagg all the time and the best pattern i have used for bass out there would be streamers and leach patterns my uncle has used bunny buggers to. The bass bugs work well to.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Early AM or late afternoon I like top waters - deer hair divers and poppers - middle of the day, unless you find fish shallow (sight fishing, in other words) I tend to go with streamers, woolly buggers, bunny leeches, big baitfish imitators fished deep. Good luck!

T
Trout
Great ! Thanks for the info - hope to get out to the lake around 4 or 5 for the late fishing.

T
Trout
Well - a quick report. Met a couple of buds at the lake at 7:30 AM at boat ramp A. Bank fishing had not gone well - but hey had a small canoe and they were catching some trout about 150ft off shore with worms on the bottom.

I got the float tube and fly rod in the water and paddled out aways. Water felt very warm so I got out my trusty lake thermometer (and string). Wow it was 74deg at the surface - at 25ft I got 68deg which is still a bit high for trout. I tried fishing deep with a sink-tip line and bead head fly. No luck but that chewed up the morning.

My plan was to fish the back half of the lake for bass in the late afternoon. I did some scouting and was disappointed at the lack of easy access in the back half of the lake for float tubes. The Sain Creek arm looked bassy and had access -- but looked like a a lot of paddling to get to any cover that fish might be holding in. Bagged it.

But that got me to thinking - we do have a canoe and I am working on getting it setup for solo paddling / fishing. Hopefully give it a shot this weekend.