Flossing!

M
Mad dog
This thread is funny!!!

I hear it all the time on the river! Same flossing talk, some guys just don't get it! Salmon will bite in fresh water and can be downright aggressive! My son had one chewing on a spinning anchovie last week for over a minute before it finally took the bait.....why would it do that?

One thing is for sure! a lot of guys do not understand how to salmon fish! Had a guide once tell me that fishing bait under a float evens the playing field for everyone.....very untrue!!! The anglers with the best bait and more knowledge will still get the biters....almost everytime!!!

Reactions: bigsteel
L
Lowell Life Fisherman
no man ur good. i wasn't gonna comment on this again anyway i just wanted to see how many morons would get all stirred up about just the word. lol

B.W.SINNER said:
i doubt my cousin will care to much about me taking over his thread lol

L
Lowell Life Fisherman
no true cousin, we have fished tide water together. and for you anti flosser politicians just so you know i do very well fishing tide water too.

salmon_slayer87 said:
True, ive never fished for salmon in tide water...so i havent had experience with kwik fish. But i know of a few people that fish some of the ways you listed.

D
dtikey
Mad dog said:
This thread is funny!!!

I hear it all the time on the river! Same flossing talk, some guys just don't get it! Salmon will bite in fresh water and can be downright aggressive! My son had one chewing on a spinning anchovie last week for over a minute before it finally took the bait.....why would it do that?

One thing is for sure! a lot of guys do not understand how to salmon fish! Had a guide once tell me that fishing bait under a float evens the playing field for everyone.....very untrue!!! The anglers with the best bait and more knowledge will still get the biters....almost everytime!!!

Yup best bait always wins on the nooks.Well put mad dog and we fish bobber and eggs and spinners and drift fish eggs for springers with good success on several different rivers and guess what they bite.Seen a buddy with me running bobber and eggs last friday up north and salmon was just mouthing his bait for about 20 yards before it commited and took it under.Turned out to be about 12-14 lb native that we released but still cool watching, and on the drift fishing corky and yarn for steelhead and it being flossing not so true to any who believe that.Yes there is guys who do it but not as many try to as people think.I drift fish yarn for winters and summers and really dont use bait at all for steelhead because its not needed.I do use scent on my yarn and my fish bite.I have been drift fishing for 24 years and know what to feel and can tell the difference from line bumb to floss to a bite its not that hard when you have good gear and good feel for it.My fish take the yarn down thier throat sometimes so bogauss call on that and please dont classify people who drift fish yarn flossers and or snaggers.

O
offdahook
there is no such thing as fish flossing..until people get da underwater shot of every fish getting snagged in da mouth or floss. until then good luck on convicting flosser unless its foul hooked.

M
mosd
flossing lol, so its bad for a gear head to drift a corky or piece of yarn with 3 foot leader, but the fly fishermen that use a heavily weighted glo bug or other egg imitations with usually 9 to 12 foot of leader aint?!?!?!?... whos the flosser then?

brandon4455
brandon4455
egg patterns=fished above the fish with a strike indicator. at least thats what i do for steelhead/salmon. fish look up,if you set the depth to just a smidge above their heads all the have to do is raise their head(witch is effortless) to eat the fly and they dont get flossed or snagged. this is how most fly fisherman fish egg and leech patterns.

however, if you you go somwhere like 3 rivers,you will see gear fisherman utilizing a fly rod with a bead or yarn to floss fish

if you read the regulations fishing a bead or yarn that is not attached to the hook does not meet the definition of fly fishing,they are just using a FLY ROD.

i smell a hater, and its not me cause i showered :D

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I love it when morons turn a trouble makers' thread into an intelligent, informed discussion.

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
HuntsandFishes said:
no man ur good. i wasn't gonna comment on this again anyway i just wanted to see how many morons would get all stirred up about just the word. lol
No morons here but i'm kinda stirred up that you think the contributors to your thread are. Maybe your next thread won't come with bad intent.

Reactions: kirkster
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
HuntsandFishes, you have been banned for a period of two weeks. Hopefully you will be a contributing member when you re-join.

Reactions: OnTheFly and eggs
kirkster
kirkster
brandon4455 said:
egg patterns=fished above the fish with a strike indicator. at least thats what i do for steelhead/salmon. fish look up,if you set the depth to just a smidge above their heads all the have to do is raise their head(witch is effortless) to eat the fly and they dont get flossed or snagged. this is how most fly fisherman fish egg and leech patterns.

however, if you you go somwhere like 3 rivers,you will see gear fisherman utilizing a fly rod with a bead or yarn to floss fish

if you read the regulations fishing a bead or yarn that is not attached to the hook does not meet the definition of fly fishing,they are just using a FLY ROD.

i smell a hater, and its not me cause i showered :D
When you say "just a smidge above there heads" that would be called, the strike zone. If your in the strike zone with a fly. And I'm drift fishing a corkie and yarn in the strike zone. There is a chance the line will floss the fish. The way I see it is if you can't see the fish in the drift and hook a fish outside of the mouth its called a foul hooked fish. If one can visibly see the fish and hooks it outside the mouth its called snagging.
Long leader, short leader , fly fishing it doesn't matter what method. If you fish long enough it will happen. I have hooked fish out side the mouth drift fishing with 19 inches of leader. Hell one year at McIver I had my hook drift through the eye of a three way swivel that had a fish on the end of it. What's the odds of that? I certainly didn't do it on purpose. My point being if you can't visibly see your gear drifting down the river. Just about any thing is possible. But you can't point at one certain person and say they are flossing. Nor point at another person and say that there not. And you honestly can't tell me that you have that smidge above there heads dialed in so perfect to say that your method will not floss or snag a fish. Get some years in and you'll see what I'm talking about.

i smell a hater, and its not me cause i showered :D[/QUOTE]

C
ChezJfrey
kirkster said:
Hell one year at McIver I had my hook drift through the eye of a three way swivel that had a fish on the end of it. What's the odds of that?

Hehehe, I once hooked through the eye of a swivel attached to a spoon I'd lost in a tug-o-war to a rock the week before. Not quite as cool as your story since mine had no fish attached to it...that's just plain awesome :)

As for those salmon biting...they sure as heck do! My spoon got clobbered by a 7" beast of a salmon on the Sandy this weekend. LOL

O
OnTheFly
ninja2010 said:
whatever the topic, trolling on a forum is not unlike cutting the cheese in a crowded elevator...
Except here on the forum everybody will talk about it afterwards like.... "All right, who did it?":lol:

E
eggs
Sooo running a size 2/0 hook w/ a half inch strip of yarn on a 10 leader on my sink tip isn't a cool fly setup?

O
OnTheFly
eggs said:
Sooo running a size 2/0 hook w/ a half inch strip of yarn on a 10 leader on my sink tip isn't a cool fly setup?
That's what I've been trying to tell you eggs. Don''t do that any more.You''re putting the hurt on the Redsides.

kirkster
kirkster
ChezJfrey said:
Hehehe, I once hooked through the eye of a swivel attached to a spoon I'd lost in a tug-o-war to a rock the week before. Not quite as cool as your story since mine had no fish attached to it...that's just plain awesome :)

As for those salmon biting...they sure as heck do! My spoon got clobbered by a 7" beast of a salmon on the Sandy this weekend. LOL
that's awesome. A couple years back I lost a sinner on the sandy river in a coho's mouth and two weeks later I was fishing with bigdog about a half mile downriver. From where I originally lost it and bigdog walks over to me and held his hand out and dropped it into my hand. I couldn't believe it. I took my players out right then and cut the hook off and put it on my key ring and its still there to this day. I don't know if its brought me any luck at all but every time I look at it or get asked about it its a great conversation piece

kirkster
kirkster
mosd said:
flossing lol, so its bad for a gear head to drift a corky or piece of yarn with 3 foot leader, but the fly fishermen that use a heavily weighted glo bug or other egg imitations with usually 9 to 12 foot of leader aint?!?!?!?... whos the flosser then?

I use a leader any where from right on the 18" mark and have went as long as 7 1/2 feet. In my expeirience I've learned that the river has several different speeds. Water clarity changes from day to day. But the thing that doesn't change is the strike zone. So if the water is running clear and fish are spooked by big presentations. It's time to go with a smaller corky and yarn and lengthen the leader so it can get in the zone. You guys that refuse to fish a long leader because people will call ya a flosser. Research it and fish the right length of leader for the current speed and get it in the zone. And you'll understand what I'm saying. If I get called a flosser I usually say well thank you because that's probably the nicest thing I've been called in years.

Reactions: eggs
E
eggs
kirkster said:
I use a leader any where from right on the 18" mark and have went as long as 7 1/2 feet. In my expeirience I've learned that the river has several different speeds. Water clarity changes from day to day. But the thing that doesn't change is the strike zone. So if the water is running clear and fish are spooked by big presentations. It's time to go with a smaller corky and yarn and lengthen the leader so it can get in the zone. You guys that refuse to fish a long leader because people will call ya a flosser. Research it and fish the right length of leader for the current speed and get it in the zone. And you'll understand what I'm saying. If I get called a flosser I usually say well thank you because that's probably the nicest thing I've been called in years.
Flosser :lol:

kirkster
kirkster
eggs said:
Flosser :lol:

Lol thanks I'm tryin to think of other words that rhyme with flosser. I'm gonna put em together and add some bump to it and be the next famous white rapper.

E
eggs
kirkster said:
Lol thanks I'm tryin to think of other words that rhyme with flosser. I'm gonna put em together and add some bump to it and be the next famous white rapper.

Glosser