Flossing!

B
B.W.SINNER
i doubt my cousin will care to much about me taking over his thread lol

kirkster
kirkster
B.W.SINNER said:
so why can someone mention flossing and they are a bad person and be threated about loseing their membership but a senior member can refer to someone being inbred and they are a hero!!! if people are gonna get bashed for flossing and it being illegal when the law hasnt even gone into effect yet but all you guy post pictures of fish you catch and release when in the regs it clearly states that it is unlawful to remove the fish entirely from the water ive seen many people get tickets for doing it
Do you really have to ask why? It's not the point of someone mentioning the word flossing That makes someone a bad person. It's that when the person who creates a thread about it and knows it will create a pointless argument.

B
B.W.SINNER
yeah im well aware of what is set to change ive known OSP Trooper marshall maher all my life which is one of the guys that has been working on getting these laws in effect and ive talk about this topic with him a lot

B
B.W.SINNER
what i dont understand is why you guys can call other members names and be cheered on but if somebody starts up a point less thread that nobody has to respond to but they have to cuz they feed off the drama that person is thretend to be kicked off

O
OnTheFly
B.W.SINNER said:
what i dont understand is why you guys can call other members names and be cheered on but if somebody starts up a point less thread that nobody has to respond to but they have to cuz they feed off the drama that person is thretend to be kicked off
Do you agree that Flossing is a valid method of catching salmon?

troutdude
troutdude
B.W.SINNER said:

LOL Damn this diatribe is entertaining!

Looks to me, like you and your cousin are in cahoots.

O
OnTheFly
OnTheFly said:
Do you agree that Flossing is a valid method of catching salmon?
Answer the question.

B
B.W.SINNER
ooo getting a little demanding huh?? Lol jk sorry I'm at work right now couldn't respond right away!!!Honestly in my opinion I could give a damn less about flossin and I see nothing wrong with it as long as the fish that are kept were hooked INSIDE the mouth but I do agree that there are better and more sportsman like ways of fishing for them which I prefer but like I said there are no laws in effect as of yet so why bash everyone for it

B
B.W.SINNER
I'm sorry for coming off as an ass I'm not trying to put anyone down and ONTHEFLY I'm not tryin to make enemy's so sorry for this getting out of hand

O
OnTheFly
B.W.SINNER said:
I'm sorry for coming off as an ass I'm not trying to put anyone down and ONTHEFLY I'm not tryin to make enemy's so sorry for this getting out of hand
no no no..me either i just wanted to know where you stood. Notice the absence of an exclamation point in my last post.:)

Once a salmon, (and we are talking about salmon, right?) enter the river they turn into monsters and have only one thing on their minds and it's not eating. I honestly don't know how to hook them unless you can sight fish and guide your gear straight into their mouths as they're yawning. Hoglines, such as the ones you see in the Columbia or the Willamette, I believe, actually create salmon to bite because there are so many things in their way they'll just snap at something. As the fish move up into smaller water, most of us can only stand at the river bank helpless as we abide by the rules and watch these torpedo size fish go by. Now, somebody discovered if you drag long leaders across the fish you can sometimes 'legally' get the hook into the fishes mouth without it actually biting. This is a loophole in the law and there are no restrictions against it as far as I know. So how can we fish more effectively for hatchery salmon, that we all pay for and are entitled to, and level the playing field to make everyone happy? Perhaps state in the regs flossing is an ok thing to do. Only IMHO do I think flossing fish is borderline snagging and, more often than not, crosses the line. No pun intended.:D

I was only going to put in my 2cents in on this but I think I'm up to nickel.:rolleyes:

S
salmon_slayer87
OnTheFly said:
no no no..me either i just wanted to know where you stood. Notice the absence of an exclamation point in my last post.:)

Once a salmon, (and we are talking about salmon, right?) enter the river they turn into monsters and have only one thing on their minds and it's not eating. I honestly don't know how to hook them unless you can sight fish and guide your gear straight into their mouths as they're yawning. Hoglines, such as the ones you see in the Columbia or the Willamette, I believe, actually create salmon to bite because there are so many things in their way they'll just snap at something. As the fish move up into smaller water, most of us can only stand at the river bank helpless as we abide by the rules and watch these torpedo size fish go by. Now, somebody discovered if you drag long leaders across the fish you can sometimes 'legally' get the hook into the fishes mouth without it actually biting. This is a loophole in the law and there are no restrictions against it as far as I know. So how can we fish more effectively for hatchery salmon, that we all pay for and are entitled to, and level the playing field to make everyone happy? Perhaps state in the regs flossing is an ok thing to do. Only IMHO do I think flossing fish is borderline snagging and, more often than not, crosses the line. No pun intended.:D

I was only going to put in my 2cents in on this but I think I'm up to nickel.:rolleyes:

I agree with everything you've just said. Floating eggs is the only method that i know works for salmon.
Happy fishing everyone.

N
ninja2010
whatever the topic, trolling on a forum is not unlike cutting the cheese in a crowded elevator...

Reactions: JeannaJigs
hobster
hobster
I know this has been beaten to death but i'm a bit confused here, how come bouncin corkies is considered flossing? I'm sure its been brought up here and i just missed it, but i'm baffled that people consider it flossing. Every fish i've hooked has been hooked in the mouth, it is just bait fishing to me. You are actually trying to catch a fish instead of just hoping to snag it somewhere in the mouth. If the fish is actually biting your presentation it shouldn't be flossing, correct?I really enjoy the challenge of feeling the bite and setting the hook, bobber fishing is too boring for me. Its is sport fishing and takes skill, how could this be in the same catagory as flossing? I'm also talkin steelhead fishing only just to clarify, i've only fished for salmon once and it was from a boat.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Flossers think they "feel" the bite as well, its just the line running through the mouth and stopping but to them it feels like a bite. :D Heck fly fisherman have the best gear for flossing, drift fishing has a good chance of flossing too. Just because you floss a fish does not mean you are doing something wrong. If you intend to floss a fish then that's another story! I see people in the winter who have figured out how to floss using a float. That's very impressive.

Last edited:
S
steelhead_stalkers
salmon_slayer87 said:
Floating eggs is the only method that i know works for salmon.

Kwikfish, diver and bait, float fishing bait, casting spinners, drift fishing yarn, jigs under a float! These are all ways I have caught salmon. They will bite, who knows why but they do!

kirkster
kirkster
steelhead_stalkers said:
Flossers think they "feel" the bite as well, its just the line running through the mouth and stopping but to them it feels like a bite. :D Heck fly fisherman have the best gear for flossing, drift fishing has a good chance of flossing too. Just because you floss a fish does not mean you are doing something wrong. If you intend to floss a fish then that's another story! I see people in the winter who have figured out how to floss using a float. That's very impressive.
Very well put. Imo the the whole flossing issue came about from the people to intimidated to stand shoulder to shoulder in a combat situation and ended up going home skunked. So the excuse was beings they got skunked , whoever caught fish had to be doing something wrong.

S
salmon_slayer87
steelhead_stalkers said:
Kwikfish, diver and bait, float fishing bait, casting spinners, drift fishing yarn, jigs under a float! These are all ways I have caught salmon. They will bite, who knows why but they do!

True, ive never fished for salmon in tide water...so i havent had experience with kwik fish. But i know of a few people that fish some of the ways you listed.

B
bigsteel
drift fishermans motto "its in the mouth"

brandon4455
brandon4455
salmon_slayer87 said:
True, ive never fished for salmon in tide water...so i havent had experience with kwik fish. But i know of a few people that fish some of the ways you listed.

ive seen plenty of people use kwikfish and spinners in freshwater. when there are not a ton of flossers bouncing corkies off the fishes faces they will chase lures right to your feet. fall salmon over springers of course,they are more aggressive.