fishing tips

T
thescoote
hi , about two months ago i moved to Gladstone on the clackamas river . i love it . the first thing i had to do before even moved in was to buy my fishing licence and tags . so i move in and everyone says ... you wont catch a salmon you have to know what your doing . so one day before work i went down with a big clump of eggs and within the hour i was back with a pretty respectable fish , i was hooked from that point on . i don't care if my girlfriend leaves me , my job fires me , i must catch more , i have putt some more hours in since then . with only one other fish on but lost him because of cheap reel . wont make that mistake again . i had him on with a herring or some little bait fish . the eggs are spendy . I'm a member on a motorized bike forum and i know that this is a great place to learn stuff . so ok . i had a few questions . in relation to the tide , what is the best time to fish . and will worms catch salmon or should i stick to the bait fish and eggs

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome!

Welcome!

thescoote;
Welcome to OFF,a truly great place to learn,share and meet other great fisher folks! Just wanted you to know that I moved your post to the appropriate section. I'm sure you will get many more responses here. Welcome aboard!
Be safe.
Barb

A
ArcticAmoeba
The Clackamas is not so much influenced by tides, as it is influenced by other, more centralized, local factors. Like how much Alge crap the Asian Gardens are pumpin into the river. And how much sediment got stirred up during the last rain. I do find a lot of Steelhead come during the slack low tide on the coast, but it takes hours for that to affect these fish. The one thing tides will hep you do, is time your fish targeting efforts. A few days after a big pumper tide on the coast, the Clack should begin to see a push of fish. And it can last upwards of a week, with small pods trickling in. Worms do work very well, but they only work wll on certain occasions. Like just after a hard days rain, or 24 hours after a long rain storm has moved in. Coon Shrimp are also a very very productive bait for both Steelhead, and Chinook. The Clack is traditionally an egg river, but I have nailed down dozens of Chinook on Coons, or Coon Chicken cocktails. And I can't easily count the number of Steelhead hooke don them in the last 4 weeks, let alon the last year! B.C. Angling Post has the best Coon Shrimp cure around, and a 4-5 dozen(1 pound) is only 10 bucks. But if you are planning on making the Clack your home, get some Coons, and some spinners an start learning all the drifts you think will produce.

M
metalmania
B.C coons + TCO spinners = lots of dead chromers!:D

T
thescoote
thanks guys

thanks guys

i had a few minutes b4 i have to head out to work . went out to the river for a half hour with some worms and a few harring that i had left over . the river is definatly calming down now but still cloudy . i cought a sucker fish . got my heart pounding . i will keep trying . so you say spinners better than bait . but shrimp and eggs are the way to go ?

A
ArcticAmoeba
Spinners work well, and so does bait. But bait will be more consistent, especially if you are just gettin into this game. Shrimp, and eggs are good for Chinook, but straight shrimp will work very well for both Salmon, and Steelhead. And just curious, what kind of Herring("label" color) are you using right now? And how are you rigging them? Whole, plugs, or chunks of flank?

M
metalmania
thescoote said:
i had a few minutes b4 i have to head out to work . went out to the river for a half hour with some worms and a few harring that i had left over . the river is definatly calming down now but still cloudy . i cought a sucker fish . got my heart pounding . i will keep trying . so you say spinners better than bait . but shrimp and eggs are the way to go ?

A sucker is better than nothin right:D. Both spinners and bait have there place. I usually run bait through the deeper holding water and sometimes run hardware through the shallower riffle water, although i'm normally targeting steelhead. If your gonna be fishing highrocks/cross park area in gladstone i'd go with a float setup, and run eggs or a egg/coon cocktail.

T
thescoote
bait

bait

im using jeery's bait for the herring blue label on a double sliding mooching rig . and yes any fish is good . but salmon is the target . or steelhead . i'm just up from the bridge on muoghloflin blvd (bad spelling ) goota go to work . thanks for your tips guys i will check in later tonight