Fishing spots within biking distance of OSU

S
Surfandturf
Hey everyone I’m new to the area, I’m an athlete at Oregon State and I’m looking to find any nice fishing spots that are a bike ride away from campus. I’m not super specific on species yet, I only brought my terminal tackle, lures and such and a reel - I have not purchased a rod for up here yet. If anyone could direct me to the better water bodies for fishing around campus (Max 20min bike ride) I’d appreciate it, thanks! The best

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF, Corvallis, and Oregon State. GO BEAVS!

However, twenty minutes is a serious limitation. You will only be within range of the Willamette (and I would NOT suggest eating anything other than migratory salmon or steelhead, due to high concentration of all sorts of pollutants). The only other option is the pond on the south side of Hwy. 34. Which is about 2 tenths of a mile east of the bridges. Again don't eat your catch. In this case there is a decades old landfill that butts right up, to the western edge, of the pond.

Good luck fishing, and in your studies and in your sports.

P.S. If like really good hamburgers I highly recommend Cheesy Stuffed Burgers downtown. I had one yesterday!

Reactions: Surfandturf
Artwo
Artwo
Sorry, can't help with fishing spots other than what troutdude mentioned above.........

However, as a BEAVS fan I wanted to welcome you......

What sport do you play?

GO BEAVS

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Good idea; I had thought of it too. But it's at least 5 miles north of Corvallis. If not closer to 7 or 8. So a bit more than a 20 minute ride I'd guess.

There is, however, the Kiger Island / Willamette slough--and the West Fork Booneville Channel--to the south for some warm water action too.

S
Surfandturf
Artwo said:
Sorry, can't help with fishing spots other than what troutdude mentioned above.........

However, as a BEAVS fan I wanted to welcome you......

What sport do you play?

GO BEAVS
Gotcha, I play baseball.

S
Surfandturf
Surfandturf said:
Hey everyone I’m new to the area, I’m an athlete at Oregon State and I’m looking to find any nice fishing spots that are a bike ride away from campus. I’m not super specific on species yet, I only brought my terminal tackle, lures and such and a reel - I have not purchased a rod for up here yet. If anyone could direct me to the better water bodies for fishing around campus (Max 20min bike ride) I’d appreciate it, thanks! The best
People have caught Steelhead and salmon out of this part of the Willamette?!? When do they bite?

troutdude
troutdude
Spring run Salmon and Summer run steelhead seasons are done now.

JasonInBend
JasonInBend
Can't help you in the Corvallis area, but if you ever find yourself in Central Oregon I'll set you up with gear and/or take you out fishing. GO BEAVS!

Reactions: Blue Lines, Surfandturf and troutdude
P
pdxflyguy
Here is one piece of advice that you might find most helpful. Transfer to the mighty green and yellow and spend your time on the mckenzie & fern ridge!

All in good fun. Cheers man & best of luck.

• Haha
Reactions: Surfandturf
troutdude
troutdude
Rut Roh...the dark side's recruiter has chimed in...LOL

troutdude
troutdude
@Surfandturf I was just out in Adair, where the ODFW office is next to the pond mentioned above. From the parking lot trailhead back to Elks Drive (the turn OFF to go up to the Good Samaritan Hospital), is 5.5 miles. So from Elks Drive to the Pond and back is and 11 mile round trip. If you live on campus, you'll need to add another 3 or 4 miles--one way--to that.

Back in the 80's, when I was in my 20's, I owned 2 Centurion Super LeMans 12-speed touring bikes. For a while they were my only transportation and I rode them everywhere. Had the shift levers re-installed to the tips of the handlebars for "speed shifting", toe clips on the pedals, yada yada. But I don't think that I could've made the ride above in 20 minutes. But you might give it a try sometime, when you have extra time on your hands and want to investigate.

Last edited:
S
Surfandturf
Gotcha, yeah i'll give it a try one of these weekends! Thanks.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
You're welcome. There is also EE Wilson Wildlife Refuge a few miles further north of that pond. If you have time for a longer ride.