Fishing Mill Creek

K
k.s.stewart63
Has anyone fished mill creek around the Dallas area or west of it? Read a couple things that said it was promising but all seemed old. So I joined the community to ask for insight and Maybe where abouts to start at. Just looking to do some nice trout fishing. I live in Amity. So spots somewhat close to there are helpful. Thanks guys

S
Steelheader4Life
It doesn't open up until May 23rd (see the Yamhill's regs for restrictions). I grew up fishing it but I haven't fished it in over 10 years. There used to be some big cutties in there, 14-18 inches wasn't uncommon but the trout fishing has seemed to be getting worse and worse over time in this area. Oddly down low there is not much water (like around Buell Park) but as you work up around the upper parks there are some huge holes. The gorge where everyone swims is a massive hole and if you beat the swimmers there in the morning it can be good. There is a gate above the last park where the road turns to gravel, you can hike in there and fish and it was good from what I remember. Good luck if you get out! Just have fun and explore :)

Last edited:
O
o clarki
Steelheader4Life said:
It doesn't open up until May 23rd (see the Yamhill's regs for restrictions). I grew up fishing it but I haven't fished it in over 10 years. There used to be some big cutties in there, 14-18 inches wasn't uncommon but the trout fishing has seemed to be getting worse and worse over time in this area. Oddly down low there is not much water (like around Buell Park) but as you work up around the upper parks there are some huge holes. The gorge where everyone swims is a massive hole and if you beat the swimmers there in the morning it can be good. There is a gate above the last park where the road turns to gravel, you can hike in there and fish and it was good from what I remember. Good luck if you get out! Just have fun and explore :)

It's open now above the bridge at the park. Check the specific listing for Mill Creek, not the Yamhill system. I've caught some decent fish in there, but mostly very small cutts. This year with very low water now might be a good time to try. I've been seeing lots of decent hatches on Willamette Valley systems.

K
k.s.stewart63
Thank you for all the info. Much appreciated. And after reading the regulations again and west of the bridge opens the 4th saturday of april until october. Hopefully I can get into something. Going to head there early morning tomorrow. Xif anyone wants to come along and show me the spots that is more than welcomed haha.
Been YEARS since I've been fishing so I'm are even a little guy will be a fun fight.

S
Steelheader4Life
That is correct. I forgot it has it's own regs. Try some small rooster tails in brown, black, and green. That was always my go to on any trib of the South Yamhill.

K
k.s.stewart63
I was gonna take the rod and just throw some flies. .. should I not?

S
Steelheader4Life
If you're a fly guy go for it!

S
sapo
I'll probaly try it out soon too!

K
k.s.stewart63
Well went out there with no luck yhe other morning. Not sure where else to go for the day I just went to the small pond outside sheridan just to spend an hour or two and then leave.

Well as my luck would have it. About 30 mind after I arrived I had and ready caught 2 keepers with plenty of bites..... and then who shows up.....

The stocking truck haha.
Needless to say it was a great day for fishing. I released most just cause it was so fun to snag one on nearly every cast.

My day in a nut she'll. Happy fishing guys.