Fishing in and around Bend, Or

I
itchtofish
My in-laws have planned a trip to Sunriver for the first part of September. This will be my first time to the area and I was hoping/planning to do some fishing with my son. I am still a beginner and would like to get recommendations for the area and suggestions for the set-up I would need.

As always, your help is appreciated and if I am lucky this will take me away from the in-law mayhem for enough time to maintain my sanity!

Thanks,

Ken

S
steelhead_slayer
r u using fly or spinning gear?

F
flipper
Hey itchtofish -

I'll scratch your back :) This isn't too far from Bend so I'll mention it. Head to Wyeth Campground. I've fished there and have caught some really nice red-band trout (in my humble opinion, the most beautiful of all trout).

* Directions: From Bend, travel 26.8 miles south on Hwy 97 to Wickiup Junction, then 8.0 miles west on County Road 43, and then 0.3 miles south on Forest Road 4370. (Sorry, Google maps has no record of the campground).

Fishing upstream from the campground is limited, but yields some nice holes/debris for trout. Downstream as far as I know, has a trail that leads down fairly far along the river with many areas/holes that they're holding in. Last report from my brother (about 3 weeks ago) was the water level was high and they didn't catch anything, but my assumption is the water levels are receding and the fish will be biting once again.

Good luck if you so choose to go out there, and tight lines!

(Edit: We were using really simple silver/gold Bluefox lures #2 and #3's for the catch, they were eating them up!)

(PM me for a phone number if you want more detail).

I
itchtofish
steelhead_slayer said:
r u using fly or spinning gear?

We will be using spinning gear,

S
steelhead_slayer
spinners and rapalas work good on the deschutes. if your looking for lots of easy fish to catch try powerbait at Devils lake, which is just past mt. bachelor. id bring bug spray just in case the mosquitos are still there