Fishing around Salem/Keizer

H
HRxPaperStacks
Hey Guys!
I'm moving to Keizer from Albany this weekend and I'm looking for some good spots to fish! I like to fish for bass and I've always wanted to go for some catfish! Trout is always fun when nothing else is hitting. Also, Steelhead/Salmon fishing is something I'm getting into. Where are some good places to go?

H
HereFishy
Hey there HR. There are a few spots you can go. The Willamette, the Santiam, St. Louis ponds, Walling pond, Walter Worth lake, Minto Brown park. All are within Salem or within 20 minutes.

Happy Fishing,
Kyle

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
There are numerous fishing spots along the Santiam on Hwy 22. Just look for the park signs and don't overlook the North Santiam area. One of my favorites is the rest area south of Salem, drive through the parking lot headed to the northbound side and park in the lot by the bridge. Lots of access along the bank. Good luck!

M
markasd
Good small mouth fishery during summer - steelhead n salmon are a plunkin' game far as I know. With Silvers showing strong this year I might go down and throw some bright jigs under a bobber, I live a block off the Willamette and have a nice little spot I'm going to try... They stock some of the local ponds with trout

H
HRxPaperStacks
Are the fish good to eat out of the willamette? I know down in Albany it was no bueno to eat fish you caught from there.

H
HereFishy
It's something like you can eat 10 ounces a month before the Mercury level become too much for your body to handle. Or something like that. My buddy was saying something along those lines a week ago when we were pulling carp out of the Willamette in South Salem. Might want to double check that though.

M
markasd
edible

edible

The only fish I will eat are Salmon/Steelhead out of that water... they are just fine! As for the local fish, carp, bass, sturgeon - I would not eat any of it.

S
Steeliekiller
People eat carp?!?

H
HereFishy
Steeliekiller said:
People eat carp?!?

Some old-timer in the fishing isle at Walmart was telling me about how a few Chinese food restaurants around town will buy fresh carp from local fishermen. Apparently they use them for soups and such.