Fishing after the flood.

D
Dbaum
So, this may sound silly but I really am not sure about something (not the first time). I fish the Sandy almost exclusively, especially at Oxbow. I was wondering if anyone had any experience fishing rivers right behind a flood such as we are seeing on the river now? I really want to get out once the water comes back but I also have reservations about going; simply because I am not so sure if I would be wasting my time or not. What will this do for the rest of the Winter run? Where do the fish go? Does it all depend on how drastically the river changes? Any help would be great!:confused: DB.

F
FunFishClub
Man I can't ever consider a scouting opportunity a waste of time.

Irishrover
Irishrover
They stay in the same type of water, slower moving, about walking speed as compared to the rest of the river. That type of water has just moved further from the center of the river and the fish will move toward it. The other thing that can happen is they will seek less turbid water. Like Buck Creek and Gordon Creek where they dump into the Sandy, or Walker Creek at the Girl Scout hole. They don't like a bunch of crud in their gills. That's why they prefer a rocky botton instead of a sandy bottom. So if Walker Creek is pumping in clean water to the Sandy and it's slower water (Usually a seem where a creek comes in) that's where you'll have a good chance of locating the fish.

The river won't change that much especially lower on the river than Dodge Park. It will have some new sand bars and some bolders will be where they weren't and some gone from where they where. But overall it will be much the same. I remember the river prior to the 1964 flood and the lower river is much the same. It was the upper river that had some changes.

Last edited:
S
sandyman
from my experience! these steelhead dont waste any time getting where they want to go! and in this high water they fly like rockets right up the side of the river beacause they are lazy and take the fastest route and i agree they will stop and hang out at fresh water creeks and flush there gills. i think they can smoke threw the lower river to dodge park and cedar creek in one day easy!!!! i love it when a good blast of high water hits, i dont waste any time and i hit straight to cedar and above. and do very well!!! they will pass cedar cr. and mill with the natives and head back down to cedar when they are ready. after that high water a week ago i poped my first winter at cedar cr.

D
Dbaum
Thank you all for the info! It was really helpful. I knew that in the past I have always seemed to have done well after some high water but I wasn't sure about 22 ft high water. Thanks again and I appreciate all of the comments. It's nice to know you guys are around! DB.

F
FunFishClub
You should see the show at I-84 bridge. talk about a beaver dam. So do you think there was any kill off of fish already in the rivers?

L
Lamzy
I personally don't think being out on any body of water and fishing a waste "of time". The fishing may not be so good but so what, if you can still get there call it time well spent.

T
tonylovepdx
I literally just got home from Oxbow minutes ago and I can tell you that the river is definitely going to be different once the water comes down. Tons and tons of sand moved around, trails washed out or covered up...it really is impressive.

D
Dbaum
Wow...I am gonna head down there on Friday just to check it out...it looks like a few days without rain so I hope it comes down a bit...I am itching to get in the water! Thanks for the report! DB.

N
NoobTooner
post us a pic or vid.. Friday I'm takin the old man up to clack early and then cedar later in the day. I'll post some pics for ya then.

N
NoobTooner
repost... oops.

D
Dbaum
Cool...yeah, if I am able to sneak away from classes for a bit I will take some pics of the place...if not I will be headed down there next week for sure...let me know how you guys do..and good luck! DB.

N
NoobTooner
it's still too high and fast to fish cedar. 12ft says it all. clack was the same... water color wasn't too bad though... bet over the next 2days it will mellow out just enough to take a real crack at em.

D
Dbaum
I have been hearing that...thanks for the report! I am still gonna try to scout Ox and below this coming week...thanks again! DB.