Fishin the big blue

F
Finneus Polebender
Headed out of Newport in the mornin as a guest thinkin bottom fishin not sure if much else is up wonderin if anyone has any fishin reports out of that area or knows what might be a good bet right now for ocean fishin out of Newport , maybe some big ling cod or somethin. Will tell ya how it went tomorrow thanks FP

Last edited:
Reactions: Markcanby
B
beaverfan
You could call or PM Amberjack from Captain's Reel Deep Sea Fishing, he's a sponsor and a hell of a nice guy. I'm sure he'd gladly give some pointers and a recent report.

F
Finneus Polebender
beaverfan said:
You could call or PM Amberjack from Captain's Reel Deep Sea Fishing, he's a sponsor and a hell of a nice guy. I'm sure he'd gladly give some pointers and a recent report.

Cool thanks for the tip.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Seal Rocks area has been a good place for me in the past. But for close in fishing my favorite spot is Margaretta Reef. It's about five mile south of the bar, about where Beaver Creek comes in. It's about 44.32.00 124.24.50 by GPS that should get you in the area. I drop a shrip fly fig for sea bass and plastics for lings. I start on the ocean side of the reef and drift over it to the shore side the motor back out and do it again. The trick is to have quick hand on you rod so you dont get hung up in the rocks as you cross the reef. Just don't land any yellow eye or canery rock fish. Have a fun safe trip! Hope you get this in time.

T
TTFishon
Cool! Lookin forward to your report!

L
lilsalmon
me too......

B
bythesea
Like to hear about those lings.I was just thinking that it might be getting a little late in the year for any nice lings..good luck....FISH-ON!!!

F
Finneus Polebender
Irishrover said:
Seal Rocks area has been a good place for me in the past. But for close in fishing my favorite spot is Margaretta Reef. It's about five mile south of the bar, about where Beaver Creek comes in. It's about 44.32.00 124.24.50 by GPS that should get you in the area. I drop a shrip fly fig for sea bass and plastics for lings. I start on the ocean side of the reef and drift over it to the shore side the motor back out and do it again. The trick is to have quick hand on you rod so you dont get hung up in the rocks as you cross the reef. Just don't land any yellow eye or canery rock fish. Have a fun safe trip! Hope you get this in time.

Wow exactly the spot we were headed too had the day been better ,and exactly the gear/ method we tried . Although the weather in newport was beautiful when we arrived early mornin the first guy I ran into told me he was pullin out for at least a week because the sea is forecast to be rough for over a week, all the off shore trips had benn cancelled . We ran out and headed south to the first rockpile fishin there was slow caught a few bass and one flounder , no lings.Within 4 hrs swells were 8-10 ft with wind really picking up so we pulled up and headed in before the bar got rough. Felt good to get out on the ocean again . Sorry for the lack of pics ,nothing really that impressive anyway , but it quickly got rough enuff to where it was all a guy could do to fish let alone stay on his feet or get pics. Had a salty crew though would have been a nightmare day for anyone who gets seasick .

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
Glad you made the wise choice to come back in. Those fish will be there for another day. Bottom fishing can be a lot of fun!