Fished Triangle Lake yesterday...

jhop111

jhop111

Water temp varied from 45.6-48.1 degrees depending on which side of the lake. I fished a Mr Yamamoto, brown 4'' and managed my first bass of 2011. A decent but very sluggish 2.5lb largie. I just pitched them to the docks and let them sink at their natural pace. Missed 3 other strikes. Only had 2 hours on the water so overall I was stoked. Can't wait till it warms up. On another note, this lake really seems to be a giant fish bowl regarding bottom structure or lack of. I focus mainly on 25 feet or less all year long. The weedline seems to go away around the 15-20 ft depth. Any suggestions on where in the heck all the bass go? Should I focus on the bottom in either the weeds or mud? I wish this lake had actual drop offs and riprap.

T

TTFishon

I work with an ex tournament guy that seems to know that lake like the back of his hand. If I see him tomorrow I'll try to get some info for you. I know for a fact that there's big bass in that lake. BTW, nice job on the 2.5 pounder.

jhop111

jhop111

Yes I was pretty excited. More so than the fish, it was like reeling in a carp I only got one little head shake when I got him next to the boat. TTFISHON that would be very generous of you and I would appreciate any advice anyone wants to give. I was hoping the weather would hold out for one more trip but looks like rain is coming. I was surprised on the water temps, in a good way. Should be good fishing come april /march if things keep fairly decent.

T

TTFishon

I guess he's got the flu but I know he has mentioned fishing around the docks in front of the houses, the lily pads near the creek outlet and the bushes along the back of the lake. I probably won't talk to him until next Wednesday. Hopefully I will have some more info for you then.

jhop111

jhop111

Triangle Lake

Well I snuck out again tuesday afternoon. The water temps were about half a degree colder on average. I spend a lot of time reading the fish finder and it seems that my worst fear is confirmed. They are suspended and in a non-feeding mood. I threw it all at em an only had one tail grab on my drop shot. I was thinking of just hanging out till the water hits the magical 55 degree mark. That should be enough to trigger the pre-spawn feeding but seems like it could easily be at least til end of march or april. In the mean time I get to either finish punching the steelhead tag or hone my winter bass skills (none). These bass just won't even go for a reaction strike when its cold out or a fronts moving through. If we get a few days of sun then I am gonna go hit Bond Butte, its much shallower and warms fast. Good luck to all

troutdude

troutdude

All lake fish act that way this time of year, don't they? I think that cold temps make them all sluggish...just like we are when we shiver...LOL.

T

TTFishon

All lake fish act that way this time of year, don't they? I think that cold temps make them all sluggish...just like we are when we shiver...LOL.

I don't know about that. Last year me and Thuggin did pretty well trolling for trout in 18 degree weather.

troutdude

troutdude

A lot of so-called experts will tell ya to fish SLOW, and be very patient for winter fish. But now that you've mentioned it, I've caught late winter/early spring fish with blades a-blazin!

jhop111

jhop111

I envy and miss the reaction strikes this time of year. With the rain coming and the colder temps I am keeping the boat in the shop and headed steelhead fishing tomorrow. If anyone see's a cold wet dude with a beer and a fish on the bank, say howdy!

Top Bottom