First try spinners

O
olsen726
here are my first attempts at making some winter steelhead spinners... i read Jed Davis's book, and decided to give it a try... any pointers from some of you guys that have been doing it for awhile?here is the very first one i made... i left the rod a little bit too short on the first batch 20121209_194340.jpghere is my first and second batch , and the one on the bottom is the start of the third batch... i think i am going to paint the barrel weight red that is on the bottom of that one though20121210_173813.jpgany comments/ criticism is welcome.i'm excited to give these a try... unfortunately i have to wait until this weekend before i can see if they work.

Last edited:
T
troutmasta
I think the best criticism will come from your self trying them. The biggest issues Ive come across tying my own spinners is, the whole thing spinning not just the blade, or the whole thing not spinning at all. It usually happens when im over ambitious with my design, Those look good to me! get em out there.

H
halibuthitman
on a good note, a steelhead will hit anything... so they work.. but I agree with troutmasta that in the field testing and use will help those evolve the most.. good job going to bobs, thats where I do all my shopping!

M
mccarrel
Most statisfying moment this year was landing a Springer on my home made spinner. Good luck.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
black body and black nickel blade with dark green prism tape on the back?

O
olsen726
Tested them today . And both designs seem to spin good! Now I just have to wait until this weekend to see if they will slay me some fish

T
troutmasta
olsen726 said:
Tested them today . And both designs seem to spin good! Now I just have to wait until this weekend to see if they will slay me some fish
Good Luck! Let us know how it goes!

mccarrel said:
Most statisfying moment this year was landing a Springer on my home made spinner. Good luck.

Isn't that amazing! I love having my homemade spinners bent all to hell from giant fish!

Chromatose
Chromatose
Those look feeeeshy to me.

O
olsen726
I hooked into a nice steelie on one of them yesterday. But he spit the hook after about 20 seconds :( ... it was pretty cool hooking one on my homemade spinner though!

NWDiscer
NWDiscer
Congrats those look fishy for sure!!

T
troutmasta
olsen726 said:
I hooked into a nice steelie on one of them yesterday. But he spit the hook after about 20 seconds :( ... it was pretty cool hooking one on my homemade spinner though!

:clap:Well done boss!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
olsen726 said:

fantastic.

H
halibuthitman
I noticed you have octopus hooks on some, octopus hooks arent very good for hooking up when pulled on a spinner. the sickle hooks you have on the right are the best hooks, I also like owner brand siwash hooks, which spinner did the fish hit?

Chromatose
Chromatose
Feeshy Lookin Spinners, Now where are the Feeeeshy Photos?