First time using braided line ... just a few questions.

S
skyhammer
Ninja2010 is right on point.
I will add that when you spool braid, use a few yards of mono on the spool, then tie the braid to the mono. The mono will stick to the spool. Braid can and will slip on the spool because it is so slick.
There are braided lines that are specfically made for spinning reels, Tuff Line makes one and so does Spiderwire.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Good point on adding the mono line when spooling. Another thing you can do that is easier is just use a small piece of tape on the spool, even some line come with a little piece of white tape that you can use. After you put the tape on you can spool up the strait braid and it will dig into the tape and not let it slip.

D
Drew9870
Don't forget braided line has no stretch, so when you go to set the hook, just ease into it. Braid snaps easier when you set with a swift jerk, I like to loosen my drag down just enough to pull the hook home and to be ready for the run.

10lb Spiderwire Stealth is thin and strong, the Uni Knot is the only knot I trust with braid and 8+lb mono, I always thread it though the loop 4-6 times.

S
Spydeyrch
Thanks Drew9870 for the tip on the Uni knot. Any idea where I might find a diagram on how to tie it? I guess I could google it.

Also, I am using a 20lb spiderwire braided line with a 3 foot 8lb mono leader. I like it so far. I really like the sensitivity that the braided gives me and I did notice that I have to ease into setting the hook. I have really enjoyed using it so far. I am planning to go out to the Wilson this saturday and see if I can find some trout.

We will see. :)

-Spydey

S
Spydeyrch
@Drew9870 & Steelhead_Stalkers

Thanks for those links and vids. I have been using the fish-n-fool knot for a while since I randomly found it online. But I had never heard of a uni knot. Thanks again.

-Spydey

Last edited:
F
fishtales
Thanks this is very helpfull to a guy who has never used braided. That guy being me.

D
Darthbeans
I have been using braid pretty much since spider wire was released at a reasonable price lol so like 16 years or so?? Anyway one of the things that people talk about and was mentioned in this thread was the high vis in clearer water.....well yes it is very visible and can spook fish but not often i have found that taking a marker to the line about 4-5 ft above the terminal tackle usually solves that even in super clear water the lure is the attraction not the line. And only on very rare occasions do i use a leader by the way But then i and the other half usually fish the nastiest stuff we can find and the sensitivity and ability to horse them in through that comes in handy and if snagged i will usually straighten a hook before it breaks off.

J
jathrtn
I use 30# power pro on my rig and it sounds heavy, but i never loose a bobber, and with a 9'6" rod can damn near cast across the clack at mciver with a 1/2oz inline sinker. As far as braided line being more abrasion resistent, i have yet to see that using power pro, but i use it for the castability and strength. 30# braid diameter is equal to (8# mono). I also use braid on my drift rod, but i also tie about 6 ft of 15lb mono to the braid (uni-uni) splice, because when I drift with braid it gets frayed to sh_ _ on the rocks, and i find the mono is more abrasion resistent. It gets kinda expensive when you have to strip off 8 ft of braided line after drift fishing for a day because it has been thrashed on the rocks. Another thing i do is always run mono, or flourocarbon leaders. for steel head and salmon fishing i use 10 to 12 #. some people use 15 or 20# for chinook, but i think you can get away with 12#. set you drag accordingly and let the fish wear themselves out, dont horse em'. 300 yds of power pro, dont think you will have a prob with the fish taking that much line.

Last edited:
C
crawdad1234
I am brand new to this forum!! I have used fireline for about 8 years now. I love using it!! I fish for Bass, Pike, salmon, walleye, trout etc. . .. When I put it on my reel I wrap black electric tape to it. This keeps it from twisting and spinning on the reel. I hardly ever have to change it. When I do change it I flip it to use the bottom line. So I put it on a different reel. Than you don't waste the line that wasn't used. Most of the time when I fish it I tie directly to the lure, unless I don't want the fish to see the line. Trout, Bass and Pike normally don't mind it at all!! Thanks and looking forward to helping as much as I can!!

G
GDBrown
Welcome to the OFF gang! It might be a good Idea for you to introduce yourself in the Meet and Greet section so we can get to know you a little. Then jump right in and share and joke with the rest of us.

GD