First springer caught!!!

S
SantiamDrifter
Kodiak said:
Gotta shake things up now and again. North fork winter steelies perfer a hotter egg than on the alsea where I have a better luck with nitrate eggs. Coho like a different egg altogether..and chinook...they like................well you get the point. There are subtle differences in things that can mean the diffrence between a three fish limit and going home empty handed...like I said, get a mentor. My mentor is playing with some new toys I'm almost ready to release.

Just an update....The second santiam nook came out yesterday. I wish I could say it was mine, but came to a friend of mine with a 21ft sled. The stroy was an epic battle of man against HOG! 12lb test side drifting PRAWNS for winters when KABOOM! a monster hit, weighing in at 41 lbs....the north fork wreckin crew is OFF to what may be a verry memerable start.

41 pounds! sweet georgia peach :)

S
SALTYFISH
Kodiak said:
Gotta shake things up now and again. North fork winter steelies perfer a hotter egg than on the alsea where I have a better luck with nitrate eggs. Coho like a different egg altogether..and chinook...they like................well you get the point. There are subtle differences in things that can mean the diffrence between a three fish limit and going home empty handed...like I said, get a mentor. My mentor is playing with some new toys I'm almost ready to release.

Just an update....The second santiam nook came out yesterday. I wish I could say it was mine, but came to a friend of mine with a 21ft sled. The stroy was an epic battle of man against HOG! 12lb test side drifting PRAWNS for winters when KABOOM! a monster hit, weighing in at 41 lbs....the north fork wreckin crew is OFF to what may be a verry memerable start.

Will u be my mentor masta??:pray::pray:

G
Got One!
Yeeehaaa! Sounds like a trip over to the Santiam this weekend!

K
Kodiak
Got One! said:
Yeeehaaa! Sounds like a trip over to the Santiam this weekend!

There still in the mainstem and not accessable by bank...besides its only two out of 35 that made the left hand turn to the santiam..but soon...very very soon.

G
Got One!
Kodiak said:
There still in the mainstem and not accessable by bank...besides its only two out of 35 that made the left hand turn to the santiam..but soon...very very soon.

Yup I have that covered, toon or my Gregor I have for sale in the classifieds. Both have been there done that! I have nothing better to do that hope for a pig to come gobble up a pron :-D

O
Outdoor_Myers
What is a prawn?

G
Got One!
Another name for a shrimp more or less (same family)

M
Mike123
SALTYFISH said:
So mike123 was missleading with that advice, alson eggs work for steelhead and salmon yes . if u are using a slip bobber and eggs what would be the difference in the setup eccept for line maybe

Not misleading... everyone has their own opinion.. I've tried every egg you can buy.. Only ones I've done well on that weren't rotten were Scott's and Maries.

Last edited:
M
Mike123
Outdoor_Myers said:
What is a prawn?

300px-Pepe-jacket.jpg

S
SALTYFISH
Mike123 said:
Not misleading... everyone has their own opinion.. I've tried every egg you can buy.. Only ones I've done well on that weren't rotten were Scott's and Maries.
You are wright Not misleading my bad

ps how do u tell if they are rotten does color, texture, smell have any thing to do with it ?

S
SantiamDrifter
SALTYFISH said:
You are wright Not misleading my bad

ps how do u tell if they are rotten does color, texture, smell have any thing to do with it ?

Well if they're old, they turn hard. Its like egg jerky. You want a nice soft berry that milks nicely in the water. You can die you eggs a bunch of different colors. You can fish darker red color eggs, lighter red, you can go for the natural peach-ie-er (sorry) color. Which I like for low water summer steelhead. But you can also tell if they're older eggs by the color as well. The berrys will turn, idk how to explain the color, But its a browner color inside the berry its self. Also the berrys will shrivel up as they get old, and wont hold as much juice. Look for nice bright, soft, plump berrys.

K
Kodiak
Ding Ding!!!!! Springers 0, Kodiak 1!!!!!

Ding Ding!!!!! Springers 0, Kodiak 1!!!!!

So I snuck in a afternoon quickie on the mainstem on some private property I have access to. ;) I setup with a prawn cocktail and a plunking rig I used last year (watermelon #4 mini prawn rig tied with egg loops). My first set kept getting pepered by what i thought were smolt but were soundly smashed after just a couple of light pecks. :D Re baited and returned to the same slot. Mid second peck I lifted my rod and felt heavier head shakes. set the 2/0 owner with authority and the battle was on. My first springer came to hand after a brisk 12 min battle and liberally applied wood shampoo. Weighing in at 22 lbs the buck tasted mighty good on the BBQ this evening.:yay::yay::yay:

S
SantiamDrifter
Kodiak said:
So I snuck in a afternoon quickie on the mainstem on some private property I have access to. ;) I setup with a prawn cocktail and a plunking rig I used last year (watermelon #4 mini prawn rig tied with egg loops). My first set kept getting pepered by what i thought were smolt but were soundly smashed after just a couple of light pecks. :D Re baited and returned to the same slot. Mid second peck I lifted my rod and felt heavier head shakes. set the 2/0 owner with authority and the battle was on. My first springer came to hand after a brisk 12 min battle and liberally applied wood shampoo. Weighing in at 22 lbs the buck tasted mighty good on the BBQ this evening.:yay::yay::yay:

nice, I got out this afternoon as well. Although I stayed on the coast. Picked up a nice 14 pound hatchery buck in my honey hole on a black spinner. I can't wait to hit the north hard again, Its been almost 6 months.

M
mosd
ive been wanting to hit the santiam for springers, ive got the sled but dont have a clue where to go, ive been up the northfork all the way up to sherborn boat launch with it. someone in years past told me if i want a springer goto where the sant. dumps into the willamette, suppose to be a nice hole there? other than that i really dont have a clue where to go, ive got a good layout of the river from I5 bridge on up to sherborn boat launch

B
bigsteel
there were a lot of boats out yesterday around stayton

K
Kodiak
mosd said:
ive been wanting to hit the santiam for springers, ive got the sled but dont have a clue where to go, ive been up the northfork all the way up to sherborn boat launch with it. someone in years past told me if i want a springer goto where the sant. dumps into the willamette, suppose to be a nice hole there? other than that i really dont have a clue where to go, ive got a good layout of the river from I5 bridge on up to sherborn boat launch

Is that an open seat invetation? About the only section I don't know all that well is stayton to shelburn but "grew up" on the river. I got lucky yesterday...I would put it OFF until you see about 1000 fish have come over then give it 3-5 days. The mouth of the Santiam kills quite a few fish every year and so do the confluences of the north and south. I would focus on the mouth of the willamette for now, find the old root wad down there and fish below it.

M
mosd
Kodiak said:
Is that an open seat invetation? About the only section I don't know all that well is stayton to shelburn but "grew up" on the river. I got lucky yesterday...I would put it OFF until you see about 1000 fish have come over then give it 3-5 days. The mouth of the Santiam kills quite a few fish every year and so do the confluences of the north and south. I would focus on the mouth of the willamette for now, find the old root wad down there and fish below it.

ya its a open invitation. just help out with gas on the boat, would next sunday work for yea

S
SantiamDrifter
We got our first summer saturday on the north. I'll be sticking to the nestucca for a few more weeks, but then its time to start hittin the north. Oh boy I can't wait.