First Siuslaw steelhead

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
my steelhead fishing approach is a compilation of bits that I have learned from some really cool sportsmen. Through some karmic convergence, I applied them well enough this morning to hook my first ever steelhead from the bank. Hooked it on eggs from the last coho I caught on Siltcoos, my gear worked perfectly and I got to apply plenty of "fight the fish within what the river gives you". Easy netting by Hobster. Beautiful chrome fin-clipped hen, so a fish available to catch and harvest due to our local STEP organization, 30" and full of large eggs, just a bit more than 10 pounds, so not very large but I'm OK with this one being my first. cheers, roger

• photo31026.jpg
Reactions: Fishnbuck, BaldTexan, Ikijime and 5 others
Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Congratulations Roger!

hobster
hobster
Was a beauty! I made a gopro video (are they called that anymore?) and just learned some editing. My first upload to youtube, the quality isn't near as good as on my computer but check it out. I drop a couple of f bombs but who doesn't during the excitement of a hooked fish :D Enjoy Roger!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDCZ3OcC_9k

Reactions: BaldTexan, bd2cool, billfisher and 2 others
Southpaw
Southpaw
Awesome beautiful winter!

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Beautiful 7 pounder!

C_Run
C_Run
Congratulations!

G
Gulfstream
NICE!:thumb:

EOBOY
EOBOY
Far out dude! As we used to say. Hobbs gonna check out the vid now. I haven't done any editing yet, how'ed that go? I've been afraid I'll screw up what I got on "film" Haha.

shammer

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Last edited:
Reactions: billfisher
K
killigan
hobster;n601683 said:
I made a gopro video (are they called that anymore?) and just learned some editing.

Nice video Eric, and Rogerdodger, it was a great fight to watch.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
No Title

hobster;n601683 said:
Was a beauty! I made a gopro video (are they called that anymore?) and just learned some editing. My first upload to youtube, the quality isn't near as good as on my computer but check it out. I drop a couple of f bombs but who doesn't during the excitement of a hooked fish :D Enjoy Roger!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDCZ3OcC_9k

great video, thanks Hobster, it starts after I have worked her up from the "fish gone" rapids just below us, and then I just had to keep her out that down tree extending into the river...

Reactions: KCox, billfisher and Admin
EOBOY
EOBOY
Hobbs nice slow mo!

Reactions: rogerdodger
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
rogerdodger;n601705 said:
great video, thanks Hobster, it starts after I have worked her up from the "fish gone" rapids just below us, and then I just had to keep her out that down tree extending into the river...

Whatever it weighed its a pretty hen!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
GaryP1958;n601712 said:
Whatever it weighed its a pretty hen!

Perhaps you missed it in the original post, it weighed an ounce or two over 10 pounds, and I make truthful statements on this forum, whether it is about fishing conditions, fish I catch, or when helping interpret the fishing rules and regulations.

Admin
Admin
No Title

Roger, regarding "reading the water" and all that stuff... Could you indicate on the picture two spots: the cast spot and the take spot?

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Take it easy Tiger I missed where you weighed it!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
No Title

Anatoliy;n601717 said:
Roger, regarding "reading the water" and all that stuff... Could you indicate on the picture two spots: the cast spot and the take spot?

Anatoliy- this is pretty easy water to read, so I'm not giving away any secrets here but I do need two pictures to show both spots- looking up river you see 'killigan' watching and a drift boat just above him, cast is basically just OFF where the down tree goes into the water...looking down river you see the "fish gone" rapids and a drift boat anchored just below them (the GoPro makes the rapids look milder than they are), take was, as might be expected, in the tail-out just up from the rapids....

Reactions: Admin
Admin
Admin
Thank you, Roger

T
TimberTodd
Congratulations on everything coming together for that first bank fish Roger, nice catch!

A
Aton
Well I would complain about giving up a good location, but even a little kid in Africa can tell you two things...you can get water from a Yak turd, and that is a good fishing hole...good to see a fish hooked, landed and filleted...been getting worried about the run this year...